Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Now’s the Time To End Tax Exemptions for Religious Institutions - Mark Openheimer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, thought so. Yet, I think about Jesus sitting down and watching people put money in the collection box.

Mark 12:41-44English Standard Version (ESV)
    The Widow's Offering
    41 And he sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums. 42 And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny.[a] 43 And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. 44 For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”

I think the intent of the "secrecy" is not so much that the Church can't know, but that you don't go around bragging about how much you give.
    My priest doesn't want to know who gives what, just in case it might bias him in favor of those who give more.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Yeah, leftists like James Madison, the main architect of the Constitution, who, to paraphrase, said no citizen should be compelled by the state to contribute even one cent to support a church. Yet that is what we are compelled to do by subsidizing them with our tax dollars.
      James Madison also said, "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."

I'll agree to make no institutions tax exempt if liberals will agree to stop welfare, SNAP, Medicaid, Pell Grants, the EIC, the graduated income tax, supporting the UN, aid to foreign countries, etc. . . . Then we'll all be in accord with what James Madison wanted.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        My priest doesn't want to know who gives what, just in case it might bias him in favor of those who give more.
        I'm the same way.

I always ask our finance people not to name names or amounts, unless there's a compelling reason for me to know. (Like the guy who gave me $10,000 to help Jim get into the hospital to get a liver transplant -- I had a feeling the guy was a generous giver, but he doesn't appear to be wanting to exert any influence or policy - he just wanted to help with an immediate need)
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Then they're obviously giving for the wrong reason.
          Maybe. It could also make it so some people are unable to give as much.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          It also makes it durn near impossible for a church to save money for larger projects.
          Right. My understanding is that the organization would pay income tax only on the amount that it saves. Which makes saving up for something take longer. (Just like it does for for-profit businesses. Incentivizing consumption over saving, and incentivizing debt now instead of saving up first. (Because I think you can deduct debt payments as business expenses, but savings are taxed.) And then 'liberals" complain about how we have a society focused too much on consumption and debt.)

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Yeah, leftists like James Madison, the main architect of the Constitution, who, to paraphrase, said no citizen should be compelled by the state to contribute even one cent to support a church. Yet that is what we are compelled to do by subsidizing them with our tax dollars.
            Where did Madison say that?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              When he supported imposing the income tax on everyone else.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Ummmm... you're expecting Mr. L to produce an actual cite?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ummmm... you're expecting Mr. L to produce an actual cite?
                  or to even truely understand what he is citing if he does?
                  Last edited by RumTumTugger; 07-17-2015, 06:38 PM.

Comment