Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Nuclear Deal With Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those worrying about easing the weapons embargo against Iran, take heart: it turns out that experts at international negotiation seem to be decent at their trade:

Source: The Ingenious Trick that Lifts, and Keeps, the Iran Arms and Missile Embargo. Matthew Weybrecht. Lawfare. 2015.07.16

Simultaneous with IAEA verification, all UN sanctions on Iran will be terminated automatically. There is no distinction in the JCPOA for different aspects of the UN sanctions. That is, the UN arms embargoes will be terminated along with all other, nuclear-specific embargoes. Iran gets to claim that all UN sanctions were removed on Implementation Day.

But here is the clever part. An apparent copy of the proposed UN Security Council Resolution has been leaked to the press. It will terminate the previous Iran sanctions, but also impose a new regime that will retain certain restrictions, including the arms and ballistic missile embargoes for five and eight years, respectively. These new (but really continuing) restrictions come in a separate “statement” (which the UNSC requires all states to comply with) and actually take the form of permitting trade—but only with the advance, affirmative permission of the UNSC. In effect, this amounts to a ban where the UNSC can grant exceptions in advance on a “case-by-case” basis, and the West can use its veto to block any transfers it does not like. The West gets to claim that arms and ballistic embargoes will stay in effect for years after Implementation.

In other words, Iran gets significant relief from economic sanctions and gets to claim it got all the sanctions immediately eliminated. The West, for its part, gets to retain the most important military restrictions for at least a few more years.

© Copyright Original Source

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Really?

Iran: U.S. Banned from Knowing Details of Iran Nuclear Inspection Agreement

Iran’s ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said the nuclear inspection organization is barred from revealing to the United States any details of deals it has inked with Tehran to inspect its contested nuclear program going forward, according to regional reports.

Recent disclosures by Iran indicate that the recently inked nuclear accord includes a series of side deals on critical inspections regimes that are neither public nor subject to review by the United States.

Reza Najafi, Iran’s ambassador and permanent envoy to the IAEA, stated over the weekend that no country is permitted to know the details of future inspections conducted by the IAEA. In addition, no U.S. inspectors will be permitted to enter Iran’s nuclear sites.
      http://freebeacon.com/national-secur...uke-agreement/
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

It's like Lando Calrissian striking a bargain with Darth Vader.

"This deal is getting worse all the time."
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          It's like Lando Calrissian striking a bargain with Darth Vader.

"This deal is getting worse all the time."
          Lucy, Charlie Brown and a football come to mind...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Delusional Liberal View Post
            Use posters' proper names, please.
            No.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              For those worrying about easing the weapons embargo against Iran, take heart: it turns out that experts at international negotiation seem to be decent at their trade:

Source: The Ingenious Trick that Lifts, and Keeps, the Iran Arms and Missile Embargo. Matthew Weybrecht. Lawfare. 2015.07.16

Simultaneous with IAEA verification, all UN sanctions on Iran will be terminated automatically. There is no distinction in the JCPOA for different aspects of the UN sanctions. That is, the UN arms embargoes will be terminated along with all other, nuclear-specific embargoes. Iran gets to claim that all UN sanctions were removed on Implementation Day.

But here is the clever part. An apparent copy of the proposed UN Security Council Resolution has been leaked to the press. It will terminate the previous Iran sanctions, but also impose a new regime that will retain certain restrictions, including the arms and ballistic missile embargoes for five and eight years, respectively. These new (but really continuing) restrictions come in a separate “statement” (which the UNSC requires all states to comply with) and actually take the form of permitting trade—but only with the advance, affirmative permission of the UNSC. In effect, this amounts to a ban where the UNSC can grant exceptions in advance on a “case-by-case” basis, and the West can use its veto to block any transfers it does not like. The West gets to claim that arms and ballistic embargoes will stay in effect for years after Implementation.

In other words, Iran gets significant relief from economic sanctions and gets to claim it got all the sanctions immediately eliminated. The West, for its part, gets to retain the most important military restrictions for at least a few more years.

© Copyright Original Source

Of course Obama's secret side deals make it all but impossible to monitor Iran's nuclear activities, so whatever enforcement mechanisms exist in the rest of this charade are almost completely moot.

Comment

Of course Obama's secret side deals make it all but impossible to monitor Iran's nuclear activities, so whatever enforcement mechanisms exist in the rest of this charade are almost completely moot.

"Obama's secret side deals"

Show your knowledge of the subject in 500 words or less, please, since that phrase doesn't make a lick of sense.
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  "Obama's secret side deals"

Show your knowledge of the subject in 500 words or less, please, since that phrase doesn't make a lick of sense.
                  Follow the link, you moron. I didn't put it there just for the hell of it.

Comment

Follow the link, you moron. I didn't put it there just for the hell of it.
                    I'm well aware of the "side deal" issue and how it relates. From your statement, it was pretty clear that you don't understand it or didn't bother with getting even the proper nouns right. So I requested that you actually take the time to demonstrate even a basic knowledge of what you're talking about.

For my sins, I got the post above. Serves me right.

Comment

So instead of a substantive response that deals with the facts, you're going to quibble over semantics.

Yeah, O.K.

Comment

Oops...

Sen. Charles Schumer, the heir apparent to the role of Senate Democratic leader, late Thursday evening announced he opposes President Obama's nuclear deal with Iran.

Schumer’s decision — revealed while the political world was focused on the first GOP presidential debate — is a serious blow to the Obama administration, which had been gaining significant momentum in support of the Iran deal among Senate Democrats in recent days.

“Advocates on both sides have strong cases for their point of view that cannot simply be dismissed,” Schumer, the No. 3 Senate Democrat, wrote in a post on Medium. “This has made evaluating the agreement a difficult and deliberate endeavor, and after deep study, careful thought and considerable soul-searching, I have decided I must oppose the agreement and will vote yes on a motion of disapproval.”
                        “To me, the very real risk that Iran will not moderate and will, instead, use the agreement to pursue its nefarious goals is too great.”
                        http://thehill.com/policy/national-s...inst-iran-deal

Comment

So let me get this right - Iran gets to search for their own violations? Like they will really tell on themselves. Complete madness...

VIENNA (AP) -- Iran, in an unusual arrangement, will be allowed to use its own experts to inspect a site it allegedly used to develop nuclear arms under a secret agreement with the U.N. agency that normally carries out such work, according to a document seen by The Associated Press.

Any IAEA member country must give the agency some insight into its nuclear program. Some countries are required to do no more than give a yearly accounting of the nuclear material they possess. But nations- like Iran - suspected of possible proliferation are under greater scrutiny that can include stringent inspections.

But the agreement diverges from normal inspection procedures between the IAEA and a member country by essentially ceding the agency's investigative authority to Iran. It allows Tehran to employ its own experts and equipment in the search for evidence for activities that it has consistently denied - trying to develop nuclear weapons.
                          http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ith-Iran/page6

Comment

This deal with Iran is like Obamacare... the more we learn about it, the worse it gets.

Comment

This deal with Iran is like Obamacare... the more we learn about it, the worse it gets.
                              Really, it is beyond reason as to why the IAEA would make such an agreement.

Comment

Meanwhile, the fox guards the hen house while picking his teeth with a chicken feather.

Comment