Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

War Against White People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fm93
    replied
    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Apparently he only discovered that he was an undocumented immigrant (a term I'm starting to prefer to 'illegal immigrant') when he was 16.
    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

The thought police strikes again! Stop trying to limit and control speech, you evil leftists!

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by heartablaze View Post
    It is weird. MTV is also not known for its serious documentaries, so I'd say it's just corporate greed trying to get a lot of views.
    On a corporate level I suppose this is the case, but I don't get why it's happening on a political minion level. It's kind of funny because even a lot of white liberals are becoming jaded by it (it's absolutely hilarious to read the comment section of TYT videos that grandstand "white privilege"; all the TYT liberal fanboys turning against them lol). My guess is it's some sort of warped white self-deprecation syndrome. But if that's the case, then that should be the focus of seer's outrage, that and the corporate arena giving it a platform.

Leave a comment:

• heartablaze
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post
    Who runs MTV? White CEOs. I can't really take your outrage against it seriously when it's white people not just underscoring it but actually screaming the loudest about white privilege. I see it all the time when I watch shows like TYT and msnbc. It's happening on both a corporate level and on a political minion level. Why do you suppose white people are hanging their own noose? Is it just corporate greed intent on profiting off a popular meme or something else more sinister?
    It is weird. MTV is also not known for its serious documentaries, so I'd say it's just corporate greed trying to get a lot of views.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    He wrote an article about it for The New York Times Magazine. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/ma...pagewanted=all

Apparently he only discovered that he was an undocumented immigrant (a term I'm starting to prefer to 'illegal immigrant') when he was 16.

I'm curious what seer, and others would have had him do. That being said he doesn't in anyway match any stereotype, that I have no doubt that InfoWars is appealing to, regarding illegal immigrants. He's smart, well-educated, creative, hard working and successful.

Source: My Life as an Undocumented Immigrant

One day when I was 16, I rode my bike to the nearby D.M.V. office to get my driver’s permit. Some of my friends already had their licenses, so I figured it was time. But when I handed the clerk my green card as proof of U.S. residency, she flipped it around, examining it. “This is fake,” she whispered. “Don’t come back here again.”

Confused and scared, I pedaled home and confronted Lolo. I remember him sitting in the garage, cutting coupons. I dropped my bike and ran over to him, showing him the green card. “Peke ba ito?” I asked in Tagalog. (“Is this fake?”) My grandparents were naturalized American citizens — he worked as a security guard, she as a food server — and they had begun supporting my mother and me financially when I was 3, after my father’s wandering eye and inability to properly provide for us led to my parents’ separation. Lolo was a proud man, and I saw the shame on his face as he told me he purchased the card, along with other fake documents, for me. “Don’t show it to other people,” he warned.

© Copyright Original Source

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by Christy View Post
    Aren't there ways for an illegal immigrant who was born in the US to become legal though?
    Yes but it can be very difficult.

I'm much more sympathetic than most on here. Yes, illegal immigration is a clear breaking of the law, but there are plenty of people who were illegally brought over as small children and didn't decide to break the law on their own.

Leave a comment:

• Christy
    replied
    Yes, he is, and as far as I can tell that's not exactly his fault. So why is it mentioned or underlined?
    Aren't there ways for an illegal immigrant who was born in the US to become legal though?

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    This whole "white privilege" nonsense
    What is nonsense about it? Being born into the west, into the ethnicity and gender at am puts me at a highly advantaged position compared to others. I've been aware of this since I was a little kid.

and making these kids feel bad because they are white.
    I haven't seen the program, and neither have you. You saw a trailer. So far it seems to be confronting white youngsters with the way white people tend to be racist, and making them aware of the darker sides of their history. Again, nothing wrong about that.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post
    The subject of the source is an MTV show about white racism. Unless you're questioning the validity of such a show, I don't see how the source is relevant in this case. It sounds like a red herring.
    That its from Infowars is not an argument that the article is false, but it does mean I won't spend time fact checking it more than what I've done.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    Is he illegal?
    Yes, he is, and as far as I can tell that's not exactly his fault. So why is it mentioned or underlined?

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
    Is this really surprising, though? It's not like seer is, otherwise, a bastion of sensibility

The surprise is seer is so deep in wacko land that he doesn't realize that linking to crazytown is a bad idea
    The subject of the source is an MTV show about white racism. Unless you're questioning the validity of such a show, I don't see how the source is relevant in this case. It sounds like a red herring.

Leave a comment:

• Jaecp
    replied
    I'm surprised you watch Infowars. Its pretty much off-the-wall, 'the government are preparing prison camps for US citizens', 'flouride is a conspiracy, meant to destroy mental health', '9/11 was an inside job' kind of nonsense.

I saw the trailer, but I didn't read the article. It looks like an MTV documentary about white racial issues... not sure what the problem is.
    Is this really surprising, though? It's not like seer is, otherwise, a bastion of sensibility

The surprise is seer is so deep in wacko land that he doesn't realize that linking to crazytown is a bad idea
    Last edited by Jaecp; 07-09-2015, 04:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    This whole "white privilege" nonsense and making these kids feel bad because they are white.
    Who runs MTV? White CEOs. I can't really take your outrage against it seriously when it's white people not just underscoring it but actually screaming the loudest about white privilege. I see it all the time when I watch shows like TYT and msnbc. It's happening on both a corporate level and on a political minion level. Why do you suppose white people are hanging their own noose? Is it just corporate greed intent on profiting off a popular meme or something else more sinister?

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    'Hosted by an illegal immigrant'

Which is kinda dubious, he was born in the Philipines and was raised in the US from the age of twelve. What was he supposed to do? Call for emmancipation from his parents, and ask the US government to deport him?

A little fact checking wouldn't hurt you seer.
    Is he illegal?

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

I saw the trailer, but I didn't read the article. It looks like an MTV documentary about white racial issues... not sure what the problem is.
    This whole "white privilege" nonsense and making these kids feel bad because they are white.

Will these young white people learn from their experiences during filming? Vargas will force them “to internalize what they’ve done in America.”

What did they do in America?

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    hosted by illegal immigrant
    'Hosted by an illegal immigrant'

Which is kinda dubious, he was born in the Philipines and was raised in the US from the age of twelve. What was he supposed to do? Call for emmancipation from his parents, and ask the US government to deport him?

A little fact checking wouldn't hurt you seer.

Leave a comment: