Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

War Against White People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kristian Joensen
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Because it's illegal.
    Anything can be made illegal. That is not an argument for why it should be illegal.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I refuse to accept that there are no better solutions for children who find themselves in that position then just calling for them to self-deport (where is an 18 year old going to go by themselves, likely without money?). Those are the people we really need to have in mind for immigration reform.
    And I refuse to accept that we should just ignore that they KNOW they are breaking the law and are doing nothing to rectify it.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    I refuse to accept that there are no better solutions for children who find themselves in that position then just calling for them to self-deport (where is an 18 year old going to go by themselves, likely without money?). Those are the people we really need to have in mind for immigration reform.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
    I don't see what is so bad about crossing arbitrary international borders.
    Because it's illegal.

Leave a comment:

• Kristian Joensen
    replied
    I don't see what is so bad about crossing arbitrary international borders.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    He wrote an article about it for The New York Times Magazine. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/ma...pagewanted=all
    So, apparently leftists don't mind hiring illegals when it benefits them, but they are the first ones attacking businesses for hiring them.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Christy View Post
    Aren't there ways for an illegal immigrant who was born in the US to become legal though?
    If you were born in the US, you are a citizen.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    What is nonsense about it? Being born into the west, into the ethnicity and gender at am puts me at a highly advantaged position compared to others. I've been aware of this since I was a little kid.
    Must be nice. I've had no advantages, and in fact, have been DISadvantaged in several areas.

I haven't seen the program, and neither have you. You saw a trailer. So far it seems to be confronting white youngsters with the way white people tend to be racist, and making them aware of the darker sides of their history. Again, nothing wrong about that.
    It's race shaming. And that is wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Yes, he is, and as far as I can tell that's not exactly his fault. So why is it mentioned or underlined?
    It became his fault when he became aware of it and refused to rectify it in accordance with US law.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    'Hosted by an illegal immigrant'

Which is kinda dubious, he was born in the Philipines and was raised in the US from the age of twelve. What was he supposed to do?
    Leave when he was old enough to.

Call for emmancipation from his parents, and ask the US government to deport him?
    Actually, yes. That would be the right thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Apparently he only discovered that he was an undocumented immigrant (a term I'm starting to prefer to 'illegal immigrant')...
    I prefer the term "criminal immigrant" myself, since it cuts to the heart of the matter.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Is anybody actually going to answer Leon's question?

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I saw a great response to this from a poster at Breitbart. He said something like:

"My white privilege compels me to be a moral and productive member of society. My white privilege compels me to work hard for what I have and not expect others to do my work for me. My white privilege compels me to take responsibility for my actions and to never blame others for my failures. My white privilege compels me to treat others with dignity and respect even when we disagree. My white privilege compels me to look beyond the color of someone's skin and accept them for who they are as a human being."
    Yes, don't you get it - even that statement is considered racist today! We just can't win.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    This whole "white privilege" nonsense and making these kids feel bad because they are white.
    I saw a great response to this from a poster at Breitbart. He said something like:

"My white privilege compels me to be a moral and productive member of society. My white privilege compels me to work hard for what I have and not expect others to do my work for me. My white privilege compels me to take responsibility for my actions and to never blame others for my failures. My white privilege compels me to treat others with dignity and respect even when we disagree. My white privilege compels me to look beyond the color of someone's skin and accept them for who they are as a human being."

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    'Hosted by an illegal immigrant'

Which is kinda dubious, he was born in the Philipines and was raised in the US from the age of twelve. What was he supposed to do? Call for emmancipation from his parents, and ask the US government to deport him?

A little fact checking wouldn't hurt you seer.
    He was just quoting the article (OP link) which says

"No, this is not a joke. The documentary is hosted by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas, an illegal immigrant and amnesty activist who has worked for the Washington Post and the Huffington Post."

Leave a comment: