Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

War Against White People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
    I don't see what is so bad about crossing arbitrary international borders.
    Because it's illegal.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I refuse to accept that there are no better solutions for children who find themselves in that position then just calling for them to self-deport (where is an 18 year old going to go by themselves, likely without money?). Those are the people we really need to have in mind for immigration reform.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I refuse to accept that there are no better solutions for children who find themselves in that position then just calling for them to self-deport (where is an 18 year old going to go by themselves, likely without money?). Those are the people we really need to have in mind for immigration reform.
        And I refuse to accept that we should just ignore that they KNOW they are breaking the law and are doing nothing to rectify it.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Because it's illegal.
          Anything can be made illegal. That is not an argument for why it should be illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
            Anything can be made illegal. That is not an argument for why it should be illegal.
            you asked why it was bad.
            That's what
            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Not to mention that many such children self-identify as Americans. This, in effect, is their homeland, due to having grown up here. I find it unfair to ask people who essentially are Americans to deport themselves to a country that they probably no longer remember and would be foreign to them.

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Yes, don't you get it - even that statement is considered racist today! We just can't win.
              Not racist, just stupid. The commenter's privilege of being raised by guardians and teachers who instilled a positive set of values is what compels him/her to do those things. The commenter's privilege of race is what allows him/her to ignore and blithely brush over the stories of injustice reported by other groups.

Must be nice. I've had no advantages
              For all intents and purposes, avoiding negative effects is about the same as receiving a positive advantage. You claim to be disadvantaged in some areas, but if you would also have been disadvantaged in other areas, that would also count as benefiting from a degree of privilege.

It's race shaming. And that is wrong.
              Do you also believe pointing out that we have male privilege and (comparatively, at least) able-bodied privilege and class privilege constitutes sex/ability/class shaming? I've always reasoned that such observations are a matter of simple honesty and humility, not of shame. Why should race be any different?
              Last edited by fm93; 07-11-2015, 10:16 AM.
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

you asked why it was bad.
                Bad =/= illegal.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                  The commenter's privilege of being raised by guardians and teachers who instilled a positive set of values is what compels him/her to do those things.
                  Perhaps some teachers are afraid of being called racist if they make comments on values.

I think there should be good reasons before people are accused of racism and accusing people as a matter of course should be frowned upon as much as stop-and-searching young black men without good reason is. On the whole vacuous charges of racism do more harm then good because they set communities against each other. So-called 'white-privilege' actually works against poor white people as when 'white-privilege' is sent to the back of the line they have to go too and so never get a chance to improve themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    Bad =/= illegal.
                    Bit illegal IS bad
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Bit illegal IS bad
                      It is illegal for a county clerk or judge in the United States to refuse to issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple. Are those who are refusing to do so based on religious beliefs doing something bad?
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Bit illegal IS bad
                        That depends on who is making the laws.
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          It is illegal for a county clerk or judge in the United States to refuse to issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple. Are those who are refusing to do so based on religious beliefs doing something bad?
                          Yes. It is what they get paid to do.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

So if illegal is bad, then is legal then good?

Comment

Yes. It is what they get paid to do.
                              But you are not claiming that something is bad because it abrogated the terms of an explicit contract. You are saying things are bad if they are illegal. Does the illegality of the refusal make the action Morally or ethically bad?

Second example: it was illegal for Germans to hide Jewish people from Nazis. Was hiding Jewish people from Nazis in WW2 Germany bad?
                              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                Second example: it was illegal for Germans to hide Jewish people from Nazis. Was hiding Jewish people from Nazis in WW2 Germany bad?
                                Yes, Romans 13 don't chu know.

Comment