Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Judge Refuses To Marry Gay Couple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge Refuses To Marry Gay Couple

How long before they try to impeach him? Interesting, he is also the head of the local NAACP.

Ohio Judge C. Allen McConnell refused to marry a same-sex couple in his Toledo courtroom this week.

After a 45-minute delay, another judge in the courthouse performed the civil ceremony for the two women who initially sought to be married by Judge McConnell, which was the first such ceremony in that court out of a total of 49 marriages to date this year.

Weddings in that courthouse are routinely performed every afternoon by judges who share the responsibility on a rotating basis. Apparently, it happened to be Judge McConnell’s turn on Monday.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2238306/ohi...9OlHAfXkfhA.99
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

If it's legal now then he has a duty to uphold the law, doesn't he?
    "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
      No. Unless it causes actual physical harm, I think his Constitutional right of free exercise of religion trumps this law.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
        But that doesn't mean his religious convictions are tossed away. The judge said:

"“On Monday, July 6, I declined to marry a non-traditional couple during my duties assignment. The declination was based upon my personal and Christian beliefs established over many years. I apologize to the couple for the delay they experienced and wish them the best. The court has implemented a process whereby same-sex marriages will be accommodated. I will continue to perform traditional marriages during my duties assignment.”

Comment

Yup that is going to be an issue.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

If I walk into a mosque or a buddhist temple, I respect their religious beliefs by taking off my shoes. When I walk into a courtroom, I expect my religious beliefs to be respected, which most definitely don't include allowing the judge to impose his religious beliefs on me.

Dude needs to find another job, or learn to respect the religious beliefs of anyone who walks through his door, so long as he's working for me.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              If I walk into a mosque or a buddhist temple, I respect their religious beliefs by taking off my shoes. When I walk into a courtroom, I expect my religious beliefs to be respected, which most definitely don't include allowing the judge to impose his religious beliefs on me.

Dude needs to find another job, or learn to respect the religious beliefs of anyone who walks through his door, so long as he's working for me.

wow... so if a Christian doesn't agree with the marriage, but still allows it to be done by another judge, it's bigotry?
              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
              -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I support the :
              sigpic

Comment

Why might not be that the two women were in a way imposing their religion on the Christian judge?
                The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

In Denmark we've had gay weddings for quite a while now, and people can morally opt out of performing them, however its a requirement that another one be found.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    No. Unless it causes actual physical harm, I think his Constitutional right of free exercise of religion trumps this law.
                    He has a right to the free exercise of his religion. He does not have a right to be employed in a position which entails responsibilities which he will deliberately ignore on the basis of his religion.

If he does not want to marry homosexual persons, he is not obligated to do so. However, if he wants to be a judge, and a part of his duty in that position is to marry persons under his jurisdiction, he is obligated to perform that duty in order to retain his position.
                    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                      He has a right to the free exercise of his religion. He does not have a right to be employed in a position which entails responsibilities which he will deliberately ignore on the basis of his religion.
                      Is it a big problem that needs him fired, or can he be accomodated anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        Is it a big problem that needs him fired, or can he be accomodated anyway?
                        If, instead of a homosexual couple, a judge refused to marry an interracial couple on the basis of religion, do you think he should retain his judiciary position? If a judge who happened to be Catholic refused to marry a bride or groom because that person had a previous marriage which had not been annulled, do you think she should retain her judiciary position?

I'll grant that civil marriage is only one minor duty inherent to the judge's occupation. However, I would rather that public funds go to a person who actually fulfills all the duties of their public position than one who only fulfills most of their duties.
                        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                        --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

If he does not want to marry homosexual persons, he is not obligated to do so. However, if he wants to be a judge, and a part of his duty in that position is to marry persons under his jurisdiction, he is obligated to perform that duty in order to retain his position.
                          Civil disobedience - and we need more of it. BTW - I don't think he can be fired, he must be impeached. That won't happen to a black judge who is the head of the NAACP in Toledo.

Comment

If, instead of a homosexual couple, a judge refused to marry an interracial couple on the basis of religion, do you think he should retain his judiciary position?
                            I don't see the practical problem involved here. Is there a lack of judges who aren't racists?

If a judge who happened to be Catholic refused to marry a bride or groom because that person had a previous marriage which had not been annulled, do you think she should retain her judiciary position?
                            Yes, odd question, since I'm a Catholic.

I'll grant that civil marriage is only one minor duty inherent to the judge's occupation. However, I would rather that public funds go to a person who actually fulfills all the duties of their public position than one who only fulfills most of their duties.
                            So I'm asking you again, lets say you have a judge who otherwise performs to all satisfaction. In this case, where its easy (took them less than 40 minutes) to find a replacement, wouldn't it be reasonable to do so, than to outright fire him?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              In Denmark we've had gay weddings for quite a while now, and people can morally opt out of performing them, however its a requirement that another one be found.
                              See that is a good idea - everyone is happy. And the judge in question here did find another judge to marry them. Why can't we have that sanity...

Comment