Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Donald and Crazy Bernie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
    Yeah, like, wasn't he writing about the US? And really wrong?

What's the deal with citing foreign nationals who are bashing our entire form of government when you guys think it'll help you out?

Nevermind the fact that "want things" and "wants tangible, physical goods and services paid for without an accompaniment of levied taxes" are two very different things
    Well, unless you're talking about military spending or Mitt Romney's 2012 tax plan ...
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Well, unless you're talking about military spending or Mitt Romney's 2012 tax plan ...
      Sure, sure and I realize you're being tongue in cheek with me, but it baffles me sometimes how people immediately jump to the worst possible interpretation of someones words :-/

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        Well history proved him embarrassingly wrong.
        It looks mighty accurate to me in today's USA. The voters are giving themselves more and more free stuff.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          It looks mighty accurate to me in today's USA. The voters are giving themselves more and more free stuff.
          So our democracy has ceased to exist? Like the British guy said 200 some years ago?

Comment

So our democracy has ceased to exist? Like the British guy said 200 some years ago?
            http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-27074746

Perhaps, but the two professors have conducted exhaustive research to try to present data-driven support for this conclusion. Here's how they explain it:
            Multivariate analysis indicates that economic elites and organised groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on US government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups have little or no independent influence.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I've seen that study before, actually.

It's 180 away from what Rogue, Jedidiah and Cowpoke are claiming

Comment

Yeah, like, wasn't he writing about the US?
                Assuming the quote is his (which seems to be an open question, though it appears to be in line with his general opinion), he could not have been writing about America, which was consistently referred to as a republic (not a democracy) AFAICT.
                And really wrong?
                I don't see how that's been demonstrated.
                What's the deal with citing foreign nationals who are bashing our entire form of government when you guys think it'll help you out?
                It's not our form of government that he's bashing. And I find it interesting that the US didn't have much problem balancing the federal budget until the Senate became directly elected by the people.
                Nevermind the fact that "want things" and "wants tangible, physical goods and services paid for without an accompaniment of levied taxes" are two very different things
                Not especially. Nobody wants to pay taxes.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

At least I'm in good company.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've seen that study before, actually.

It's also amusingly 180 away from Democrats' claims to be representing the people against Republican 'fat cats' - when's the last time a Republican policy got implemented against the Democrats' wishes? Even GWB's major accomplishments had broad support from Democrats.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      It's also amusingly 180 away from Democrats' claims to be representing the people against Republican 'fat cats' - when's the last time a Republican policy got implemented against the Democrats' wishes? Even GWB's major accomplishments had broad support from Democrats.
                      Bush's 2003 tax cuts and Medicare Part D had very slim Democratic support.
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                        Well history proved him embarrassingly wrong.
                        You think? It has only been in the past couple of decades that we really realized that we can vote ourselves stuff. The boom during Reagan and the technological boom under Clinton gave us a large cushion that has been frittered away and we've got an economy that now is on the same path that Greece is.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          Bush's 2003 tax cuts and Medicare Part D had very slim Democratic support.
                          Both massively increased deficit spending, too, for what it's worth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            Both massively increased deficit spending, too, for what it's worth.
                            Which pleases you, yes?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Which pleases you, yes?
                              Obamacare, the policy I've most vociferously supported, continues to reduce the deficit even more than originally calculated.

'Course, I certainly wouldn't have minded deficit spending on the right things when the fiscal multiplier made it essentially free ... But we missed that boat big time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                                It is well on the way.
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment