Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Microaggressions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
    ...I, being Asian-American myself....
    I didn't know that. I'm gonna try to be nicer to you.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Educating people on why others might find certain statements mildly irksome is not about limiting or controlling speech. It's about facilitating understanding and respect among our fellow human beings.
      No, limiting speech is what liberals do. An update about our Christian bakers:

Oregon Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian finalized a preliminary ruling today ordering Aaron and Melissa Klein, the bakers who refused to make a cake for a same-sex wedding, to pay $135,000 in emotional damages to the couple they denied service.

“This case is not about a wedding cake or a marriage,” Avakian wrote. “It is about a business’s refusal to serve someone because of their sexual orientation. Under Oregon law, that is illegal.”

In the ruling, Avakian placed an effective gag order on the Kleins, ordering them to “cease and desist” from speaking publicly about not wanting to bake cakes for same-sex weddings based on their Christian beliefs.

This effectively strips us of all our First Amendment rights,” the Kleins, owners of Sweet Cakes by Melissa, which has since closed, wrote on their Facebook page. “According to the state of Oregon we neither have freedom of religion or freedom of speech.”
      Not only that:

In order to reach the total amount, $135,000, Rachel and Laurel submitted a long list of alleged physical, emotional and mental damages they claim to have experienced as a result of the Kleins’ unlawful conduct.

Examples of symptoms included “acute loss of confidence,” “doubt,” “excessive sleep,” “felt mentally raped, dirty and shameful,” “high blood pressure,” “impaired digestion,” “loss of appetite,” “migraine headaches,” “pale and sick at home after work,” “resumption of smoking habit,” “shock” “stunned,” “surprise,” “uncertainty,” “weight gain” and “worry.”
      Really? So all this happened because some one refused to bake them a cake? This is what the leftists have created. People who can't deal with life.

http://dailysignal.com/2015/07/02/st...Ma1ozrgOWxU%3D
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I'm gonna try to be nicer to you.
        And that to is a microaggression...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Are we really so weak and effeminate, so thin skinned and easily offended that we have to measure every word or phrase? How are kids brought up under this nonsense every going face the evils anf harsh realities of the world.

http://linkis.com/hHva4
          Yes, that is indeed the way the once great United States is going. Sad!
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

. . . I, being Asian-American myself, . . .
            A deal fm93, I will be no more dismissive of your foolish ideas just because you are Asian-American. I am European-American myself and have also experienced poor treatment at times because I am different than most other people. I am not going to cry about it however.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              A deal fm93, I will be no more dismissive of your foolish ideas just because you are Asian-American. I am European-American myself and have also experienced poor treatment at times because I am different than most other people. I am not going to cry about it however.
              I have specifically said, multiple times, that I am not offended by anything mentioned in this thread, and thus I am not crying about anything. Nor did I complain about poor treatment. The fact that you've ignored what I've repeatedly stated and call my ideas--which, by all the evidence in this thread, you apparently haven't carefully read--"foolish" indicates that you are, in fact, being rather dismissive.
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Actually, I find your ideas highly offensive, FM. Offensive, cruel and dehumanizing, to be more exact.

Oh yes, I read what you said - saw the paper cut analogy (seriously, that was pretty silly) - and understood you. That's why it's so very offensive to me personally.

I was bullied as a child to the point that I was suicidal at the ripe old age of eight. How DARE you compare minor annoyances even in aggregate to the damaging effects of real abuse! Further, your theory necessarily requires that the victims are so incompetent that they cannot handle the mildest of irritations. How the heck do these people get through life at all? Answer: the same way everyone else does because anyone actually that vulnerable is dysfunctional to the point of impairment. It's demeaning and dehumanizing to assert that reasonably well adjusted human beings cannot withstand minor irritations in the aggregate - it puts them on the level of the mentally handicapped in the worst sense.

Quit infantalizing others - it's cruel and demeaning. It's unfair and offensive to those of us who actually endured abuse at the hands of peers. And the whole concept necessarily dehumanizes the supposed victims.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I have specifically said, multiple times, that I am not offended by anything mentioned in this thread...
                  Just to be clear, fm, I wasn't referring to your offenses at anything in this thread, which is why I specifically said....

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I'm going by your overall posting behavior, and your propensity to be offended and whine about it.
                  "overall" means, to be clear, not just here, but throughout Tweb.

HOWEVER, I'm going to be nicer to you now that you told me you're Asian-American!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have specifically said, multiple times, that I am not offended by anything mentioned in this thread, and thus I am not crying about anything. Nor did I complain about poor treatment. The fact that you've ignored what I've repeatedly stated and call my ideas--which, by all the evidence in this thread, you apparently haven't carefully read--"foolish" indicates that you are, in fact, being rather dismissive.
                    I said I would be no MORE dismissive of your foolish ideas. I have not increased my level of disregard at all. You are not literally crying, no. You do, in my opinion behave like a cry baby on many of these topics. This seems foolish to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      I was bullied as a child to the point that I was suicidal at the ripe old age of eight.
                      Wow.

I don't have any words right now that would constitute an adequate response to something like this, Teallaura. I can't pretend that I know the full magnitude of what that's like, because I don't. This will likely seem achingly hollow at the moment, but I am truly sorry that something so awful happened to you. And I can only sit back and applaud your bravery and resilience in having made it this far and for so long, a bravery and resilience that I cannot comprehend and likely will never be able to. Yours is a bravery and resilience that I can only hope to possess one day.

But with that said, while your anger at what you perceive my position to be is perfectly justified, I do believe you've misunderstood my position:

How DARE you compare minor annoyances even in aggregate to the damaging effects of real abuse!
                      I assume this remark refers to my statement that "They can, however, build up to something more if they happen persistently day after day." But I actually was not comparing it to the effects of abuse like the type that you underwent. Literally all I was trying to say with that comment was that minor annoyances, when occurring almost ad infinitum, can eventually lead to one becoming majorly annoyed. That's it. I absolutely do NOT consider those minor OR major annoyances anything near the magnitude of bullying to the point of suicide ideation, or undergoing genuinely traumatic events.

Further, your theory necessarily requires that the victims are so incompetent that they cannot handle the mildest of irritations. How the heck do these people get through life at all? Answer: the same way everyone else does because anyone actually that vulnerable is dysfunctional to the point of impairment. It's demeaning and dehumanizing to assert that reasonably well adjusted human beings cannot withstand minor irritations in the aggregate - it puts them on the level of the mentally handicapped in the worst sense.
                      This would certainly be true in principle. However, I am NOT saying that subjects of "microaggressions" cannot handle or withstand mild irritations. They absolutely can and do, and get through life just fine. My point that I wanted to convey to seer was simply this--even though they can easily be withstood, why not try to eradicate some of them if one has the opportunity? That was the point of the paper cuts reference--even though papercuts definitely don't hinder people's ability to function, and would rank almost dead last on the scale of Things Harmful to Humanity, wouldn't it be nice if paper cuts didn't happen? I don't believe drawing attention to minor issues when the opportunity arises prevents people from focusing on gravely serious issues.

So ultimately, I don't believe what I'm saying "dehumanizes or infantilizes people." I am well aware that there are infinitely more serious issues in the world. I am simply saying that we the human race can pay attention to both major and minor issues. It was never my intention to trivialize what you went through.
                      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

You do, in my opinion behave like a cry baby on many of these topics. This seems foolish to me.
                        Would you care to explain what, specifically, I've said that leads you to that opinion?

Comment

Anybody who disagrees with the conservative rump here is accused of 'whining' or being too sensitive, while day after day, Seer(and the rest) whine and moan about how badly the world is treating them and their favourite retrograde philosophy. It's hypocrisy at its finest. We have a term here: 'Whingers', and this site is full of them. As long as you're whinging about the 'right' cause, you'll be fine.

As i've said before, I can cheerily say this is complete Edited by a Moderator and I'm happy to call it such.
                          Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-03-2015, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                            Anybody who disagrees with the conservative rump here is accused of 'whining' or being too sensitive, while day after day, Seer(and the rest) whine and moan about how badly the world is treating them and their favourite retrograde philosophy. It's hypocrisy at its finest. We have a term here: 'Whingers', and this site is full of them. As long as you're whinging about the 'right' cause, you'll be fine.

As i've said before, I can cheerily say this is complete Edited by a Moderator and I'm happy to call it such.
                            Totally as expected. fm was nice enough to send me an encouraging note enquiring after my well being. I shall post the reply I gave him here.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm actually fine and quite cheerful. I used to regard Tweb as a place of reasonable discussion where multiple viewpoints can be explored. Since the 'event' I had continued my own efforts at civility and non-kneejerk type thinking.

I now have arrived at the point where I no longer consider this possible. The whiny and aggressive hard right has captured the site and there is no longer any open dialogue.

As an example, someone I considered my friend, CowPoke, seems to have embarked on a campaign of snide dismissal, not just of ideas he doesn't like, but of people and their characters. This saddens me because I thought he was one of the good ones. I shall say nothing of Seer's constant generalised complaining.

Consequently I have decided to treat Tweb as an amusing rump of nutty conservatives. They are like dinosaurs, the last of their kind, complaining about the red glow of the coming asteroid.

I find it funny that amid all the snide snarkiness, the accusations of lying and stupidity, the complete refusal to accept that someone can hold a contrary opinion in good faith and based on reasonable thinking, the one thing guaranteed to get an infraction is saying a 'naughty' word. How childish. I'm Australian, this is how we talk to adults as I'm sure you know.

I intend to pop in now and again and drop a bomb every now and then until I'm banned. Then I shall not miss it ... ever.

I will be a little sad to see the last of reasonable people like you and Sam and others, but the putting up with the self righteous small minded morons is just too big a price to pay.

Pman

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                              Complete baloney. There are a number of liberals here who do not whine and cry about every single liberal complaint. Some just jump on every talking point as though they were being stabbed. The ones who get pasted are guys like fm93, who never fails to defend (often foolishly) every little thing that comes along. Yeah I am a conservative, but if you do not act like an idiot I will not call you an idiot. Your post shows little objectivity just bile. You used to be an alright guy in spite of being a liberal. What changed?

Comment

Complete baloney. There are a number of liberals here who do not whine and cry about every single liberal complaint. Some just jump on every talking point as though they were being stabbed. The ones who get pasted are guys like fm93, who never fails to defend (often foolishly) every little thing that comes along. Yeah I am a conservative, but if you do not act like an idiot I will not call you an idiot. Your post shows little objectivity just bile. You used to be an alright guy in spite of being a liberal. What changed?
                                I saw you for who you were.

Comment