Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Microaggressions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microaggressions?

Are we really so weak and effeminate, so thin skinned and easily offended that we have to measure every word or phrase? How are kids brought up under this nonsense every going face the evils anf harsh realities of the world.

Describing America as a “melting pot” (it orders people to assimilate)

Stating that “there is only one race, the human race” (denying the significance of a person’s ethnic or racial history)

Asking Asians, Hispanics, or Native Americans to speak up more (“pathologizing” foreign norms and treating white norms as “normal”)

Using “he” as a generic pronoun for all people (it makes the male experience universal and the female experience “invisible”)

Using forms where individuals must identify as male or female (it excludes the full LGBT experience)
    http://linkis.com/hHva4
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Microaggressions are like papercuts. On their own, they barely register, and hardly anyone would actually be hurt by them. They can, however, build up to something more if they happen persistently day after day.

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Are we really so weak and effeminate, so thin skinned and easily offended that we have to measure every word or phrase?
    Those qualities have nothing to do with it. May I suggest, for instance, taking time to ask someone for the context that explains why some of those are sometimes considered mildly irksome?

How are kids brought up under this nonsense every going face the evils anf harsh realities of the world.
    They'll be better prepared to face evil and harsh realities, because if they take time to educate themselves, they'll be more sensitive to and aware of the factors that have produced and continue to lead to evil and other harsh realities.
    Last edited by fm93; 07-03-2015, 09:56 AM.
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
      Microaggressions are like papercuts. On their own, they barely register, and hardly anyone would actually be hurt by them. They can, however, build up to something more if they happen persistently day after day.
      This is all about limiting and controlling speech - nothing more.

They'll be better prepared to face evil and harsh realities, because if they take time to educate themselves, they'll be more sensitive to and aware of the factors that have produced and continue to lead to evil and other harsh realities.
      Pure BS FM, from the link:

A second document instructs faculty on the proper ways to intervene against microaggressions. For example, if a person commits the offense of starting a sentence with “You people”, a suggested reaction is to say “I was so upset by that remark that I shut down and couldn’t hear anything else.”
      I was so upset? Poor baby, man up or woman up. And no this kind of mindset could never resist the mindset of a group like Isis for instance. We are creating wussies.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

This assumes that the person receiving the papercuts is too stupid or weak or ignorant to understand what causes papercuts and AVOID them.

No, if, in your "papercut" example, they should take the time to realize "I don't HAVE to subject myself to papercuts" (really a bad analogy, because paper really isn't very aggressive) and learn better ways to handle paper.

Problem solved!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

fm, seriously, you're a victim. You have succumbed to victim mentality. You CHOOSE to remain a victim.

We can't CHILDPROOF the world - it can be a cold hard place. Better we prepare our children for that fact than to think we can bubblewrap them or surround them with nerf so they won't get hurt.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Multiculturalism is being waged against E-Pluribus-Unum- out of many, one (the motto of the US).
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
              Multiculturalism is being waged against E-Pluribus-Unum- out of many, one (the motto of the US).
              No, no, no... you got it all wrong.... Just ask brother Al Gore... (bolding mine)

"We can build a collective civic space large enough for all our separate identities, that we can be e pluribus unum -- out of one, many."
              (Source: January 1994. From a Milwaukee speech by Al Gore to the Institute of World Affairs as quoted in Investor's Business Daily, October 25, 1996.)

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                This is all about limiting and controlling speech - nothing more.
                Educating people on why others might find certain statements mildly irksome is not about limiting or controlling speech. It's about facilitating understanding and respect among our fellow human beings.

I was so upset? Poor baby, man up or woman up. And no this kind of mindset could never resist the mindset of a group like Isis for instance. We are creating wussies.
                Okay, that's clearly an example of bad advice. We can agree on that. But the mindset that says "Let me be open and seek to understand other people" by no means creates weak-minded citizens. Just the opposite, actually.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                This assumes that
                It assumes nothing, because my analogy wasn't focusing on the nature of how papercuts happen, but rather the effects that they cause.

fm, seriously, you're a victim. You have succumbed to victim mentality. You CHOOSE to remain a victim.
                This is why I advocated what I did to seer. *I* am a victim? I'm not offended by any of those things they listed! You seem to misunderstand the situation and instead are jumping to false conclusions.

We can't CHILDPROOF the world - it can be a cold hard place. Better we prepare our children for that fact than to think we can bubblewrap them or surround them with nerf so they won't get hurt.
                If someone asks an Asian-American man who speaks perfect English "Where are you from," and the Asian-American answers "I'm from [US city]," and in response the persons asks "No, where are you REALLY from?", the Asian-American telling the questioner "I understand what you're asking, and I realize that you probably mean no harm, but the question implies something that neither you nor I believe is right" and explaining why (because it implies that the Asian-American is somehow less American than citizens of other races and ethnicities) does not constitute "bubblewrapping people so they won't get hurt." And it costs the questioner nothing to learn this and in future situations simply ask "If I may ask, from what country do your ancestors ultimately hail?"
                Last edited by fm93; 07-03-2015, 11:31 AM.
                Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

It assumes nothing, because my analogy wasn't focusing on the nature of how papercuts happen, but rather the effects that they cause.
                  Which shows how misguided your thinking is...

This is why I advocated what I did to seer. *I* am a victim? I'm not offended by any of those things they listed! You seem to misunderstand the situation and instead are jumping to false conclusions.
                  I'm going by your overall posting behavior, and your propensity to be offended and whine about it.

, in my opinion, you are a prisoner of victim mentality.

Comment

If someone asks an Asian-American man who speaks perfect English "Where are you from," and the Asian-American answers "I'm from [US city]," and in response the persons asks "No, where are you REALLY from?", the Asian-American telling the questioner "I understand what you're asking, and I realize that you probably mean no harm, but the question implies something that neither you nor I believe is right" and explaining why (because it implies that the Asian-American is somehow less American than citizens of other races and ethnicities) does not constitute "bubblewrapping people so they won't get hurt." And it costs the questioner nothing to learn this and in future situations simply ask "If I may ask, from what country do your ancestors ultimately hail?"
                    Wow. I suppose your perfect English speaking Asian-American is incapable of saying, "Oh, originally, my family is from __________, but I was born here in the US". I think your Asian-American stereotype is not quite as clever as the actual Asian-Americans I deal with FREQUENTLY in Houston. Heck, they have WHOLE NEIGHBORHOODS with street signs in their own language!

MEANWHILE... time for some levity....

Bobby asked his mother, "Mom, where did I come from?" Mom gets that funny look, and fears "this is the time", so she says.. "um... why don't you go ask your father".
                    Bobby asks his father, and Dad, thinking it's "birds and bees" time, says "Why don't you ask your mom".
                    Bobby explains he DID ask mom, and SHE told him to ask Dad.

That night, Mom and Dad decide it's time, and they sit Bobby down and go through the whole love and romance and sex and babies.....

Bobby says, nervously... wow, that was quite fascinating and all, but.... what I mean was Billy comes from Idaho --- where did I come from?

Comment

Which shows how misguided your thinking is...
                      When I specifically say that I'm drawing a parallel regarding the effects, and you respond with irrelevancies about the nature of the event, I can't help but wonder if maybe your thinking is the one that's misguided.

If you really can't let it go, we can change the analogy to mosquito bites, which, as anyone who's had to spend a significant amount of time outdoors in the summer can attest, are awfully hard to avoid, even with measures like bug spray or long-sleeved clothing.

I'm going by your overall posting behavior, and your propensity to be offended and whine about it.
                      Wha--? I explicitly said that I'm not offended. From where do you draw this conclusion about a "propensity to be offended?"

And "whine about it?" Whine about what? Nearly everything I post about topics in Civics can be boiled down to "Some of our fellow human beings, who are made in the image of God, report that they're hurting. Let's examine why and see what we could/should do to help them out." Where do you perceive "whining?"

in my opinion, you are a prisoner of victim mentality.
                      You mean like your propensity to act like allowing gay couples to get married is an attack on your churches?

Comment

Wow. I suppose
                        I suppose you jumped to conclusions again and thought I was saying our hypothetical Asian-American (who actually is based on real people whom I, being Asian-American myself, have personally known) wasn't ALSO answering where his ancestors are from.

Comment

I suppose you jumped to conclusions again and thought I was saying our hypothetical Asian-American (who actually is based on real people whom I, being Asian-American myself, have personally known) wasn't ALSO answering where his ancestors are from.
                          No, actually I didn't. You just jumped to that goofy conclusion on your own. I just thought it silly to go the round about way. I said EXACTLY what I supposed.

Comment

When I specifically say that I'm drawing a parallel regarding the effects
                            It was a dumb analogy. Please try another.

Comment

You mean like your propensity to act like allowing gay couples to get married is an attack on your churches?
                              Um.... can you prove where I actually claimed that?

Comment