Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Microaggressions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
    Often times they invoke factually incorrect assumptions, such as in the "No, where are you really from" example that I mentioned.
    I'm not sure what your point is. It still doesn't change the fact that they're ultimately harmless. You know, unless people decide to make a bigger deal out of them than what they actually are.

Well, yes, but are you telling me that you've never complained about mosquitos? Would you not agree that "Mosquito bites on their own are simply minor annoyances, but still, it sure would be nice if we could avoid or get rid of them"?
    Sure. And most of the time the best way to avoid micro-aggressions is to simply not react to them at all. If you scratch a mosquito bite you'll invariably find that you're only making it itch even more, but if you ignore it the itch usually subsides much faster. In the same way, if you react to every single annoyance you come across you'll invariably find that you get so thin-skinned that you start reacting to every little ridiculous thing, but if you just decide to ignore them instead (not necessarily that you don't think about them, but simply that you restrain any impulses to reacting to them) you'll usually find that the longer time goes on, the easier it starts to become to tune them out completely.

You've never seen his threads about some pastor protection bill, or the various other comments he's made about SSM?
    I've seen them. I disagree with your depiction of what's going on there.

Comment

You've never seen his threads about some pastor protection bill, or the various other comments he's made about SSM?
      And he isn't allowed to have a view or opinion on these issues because....
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        No! Wanting to protect pastors from being attacked for refusing to perform same sex marriages is obviously accusing people who want same sex marriages of trying to destroy Christianity. Don't you see that?
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

That's what I'm anxious to see... where did I ever attack anybody over this? Am I a bad guy simply because I sincerely believe something is sin just because the bible says it is?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            That's what I'm anxious to see... where did I ever attack anybody over this? Am I a bad guy simply because I sincerely believe something is sin just because the bible says it is?
            To them? Yes.
            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              No! Wanting to protect pastors from being attacked for refusing to perform same sex marriages is obviously accusing people who want same sex marriages of trying to destroy Christianity. Don't you see that?
              Yep, makes perfect sense as long as you don't think about it. How silly of me for thinking a civics forum should be about discussing civics issues (such as a bill being proposed in a state legislator or even daring to want to see laws, which you approve of, being passed by your own government).
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Of course. How dare you bring up a civics issue in a civics forum. You're such a mean one for actually wanting to discuss relevant civics issues here.
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Of course. How dare you bring up a civics issue in a civics forum. You're such a mean one for actually wanting to discuss relevant civics issues here.
                  It seems as though a 'cloud' has come over America.... where those who were begging for tolerance have become incredibly intolerant and judgmental, as if to prove to us what REAL intolerance looks like. I'm quite honestly amazed.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It seems as though a 'cloud' has come over America.... where those who were begging for tolerance have become incredibly intolerant and judgmental, as if to prove to us what REAL intolerance looks like. I'm quite honestly amazed.
                    I've noticed that one too and they make excuses for their intolerance. So much for the, "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." sort of thought process.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I've noticed that one too and they make excuses for their intolerance. So much for the, "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." sort of thought process.
                      Yeah, that's what I grew up with, the reason I served, and the reason I became a cop.

Now it's "I do not agree with what you have to say, so you need to shut up and keep it to yourself or I'll sue the pants off you".

Comment

It's seems those of the left-wing persuasion are the angriest winners you will ever meet. So strange.
                        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

So much for the, "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." sort of thought process.
                          They never meant that. They were the minority back in the late 60s when that phrase was in vogue. Now that they have more power all bets are off. Besides most of these "men" probably wouldn't have the guts to protect their own families, never my free speech rights.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                            It's seems those of the left-wing persuasion are the angriest winners you will ever meet. So strange.
                            Not only are they sore losers, they are sore winners. The fact is they won't be happy until we all think and act like them.
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

fm,

I think, without realizing it, you're validating my criticisms of you. When I claim you seem to be LOOKING for an excuse to be offended, you do things like this. You take a swipe, I ask you to back up the claim, I pledge to be nicer to you, and you talk ABOUT me instead of TO me.
                              Actually, I made that comment in response to your statement that "in my opinion, you are a prisoner of victim mentality." You hadn't made any such pledge when I wrote that.

Our Jobs for Life program, our Car Clinic, our Welding Training program, our involvement in Habitat for Humanity --- all of the programs we fund, start, or are involved in, I look for those who are actually wanting to do something for themselves, and I'll go to bat for them, encourage them, and do everything I can to help them. I seem to be a pretty good judge of character in that regard, because our graduation rate, for example, in our Jobs for Life program has been 100% for the first class
                              I'm glad to read that.

ANYWAY... there seem to be those who want to get ahead, and they just need some encouragement. Then there are those who just want to complain about how bad they have it, and nothing is going to change that.

It appears to me - and I could be way wrong - that you represent that group that just wants to sit back and complain about how bad life is, with no real intent to do anything about it but complain.
                              This...is sort of vague. But I'll take a venture at what I *think* you might be referring to and see if I'm on the right track.

I do not believe that *my* life is particularly bad. Not to any significant extent. What motivates me to post here about certain topics, then? Well, back in early 2014, I increasingly started to read works by black authors and gay authors and women authors about subjects pertaining to their experience as black or gay or female. (It wasn't a conscious intention; I just read a few works here and there, and those works linked to other works, and I kept following that chain.) I was stunned by what I read--not only were there issues they faced that I had never before heard about, many of them apparently also lived with a depth of pain that I never knew they had. Reading what they wrote, I didn't get the impression that they were making empty complaints; rather, I perceived that they were tired, hurting, aching for relief, doing whatever they could to make their voice heard in order to inspire help and change.

I'm trying to keep this short, so I won't go into specific details unless asked, but simply put, my heart broke for them, and I came to believe that I had been far too insensitive to the experiences of others throughout my life. First and foremost, I wanted to see what I could possibly do to alleviate their pain and the problems that they report plague their communities. But along with that burning desire to help, I also felt in myself something that, in retrospect, was very similar to what I'd I felt when I decided to become a Christian back in my early teenage years--something almost like an evangelistic fervor. I felt moved, if you will, to share these newfound insights with as many people as I could. To draw attention to those things I'd learned and inspire others with the same zeal that had inspired me.

So no, I don't believe it's accurate to characterize certain groups as having "no real intent to do anything about it but complain." What I felt was that not enough people could help because not enough people were aware of the issues to begin with--after all, how can we bring about change unless we're first aware of what it is that needs changing? Nor did I see myself as a representative for those groups; rather, my reasoning was simply "These people can speak for themselves, but their voice doesn't seem to be heard on this forum. I know what they're saying, however--perhaps I can help spread their words to reach here, so my fellow TWeb users will also be aware, and we can work together to discuss and formulate good solutions."

But then some of the discussions here got heated out of proportion for a variety of reasons, people began insulting and attacking my character, I responded angrily, and everything went to Sheol.

So, I have said several times I intend to be nicer to you - as I have ALREADY been nicer to JimL (that was one of your murmurrings ) - and it's time now to see what you're made of.

your move
                              I have told you the truth and nothing but in this post.
                              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

I do not believe that *my* life is particularly bad. Not to any significant extent. What motivates me to post here about certain topics, then? Well, back in early 2014, I increasingly started to read works by black authors and gay authors and women authors about subjects pertaining to their experience as black or gay or female. (It wasn't a conscious intention; I just read a few works here and there, and those works linked to other works, and I kept following that chain.) I was stunned by what I read--not only were there issues they faced that I had never before heard about, many of them apparently also lived with a depth of pain that I never knew they had. Reading what they wrote, I didn't get the impression that they were making empty complaints; rather, I perceived that they were tired, hurting, aching for relief, doing whatever they could to make their voice heard in order to inspire help and change.

I'm trying to keep this short, so I won't go into specific details unless asked, but simply put, my heart broke for them, and I came to believe that I had been far too insensitive to the experiences of others throughout my life. First and foremost, I wanted to see what I could possibly do to alleviate their pain and the problems that they report plague their communities. But along with that burning desire to help, I also felt in myself something that, in retrospect, was very similar to what I'd I felt when I decided to become a Christian back in my early teenage years--something almost like an evangelistic fervor. I felt moved, if you will, to share these newfound insights with as many people as I could. To draw attention to those things I'd learned and inspire others with the same zeal that had inspired me.

So no, I don't believe it's accurate to characterize certain groups as having "no real intent to do anything about it but complain." What I felt was that not enough people could help because not enough people were aware of the issues to begin with--after all, how can we bring about change unless we're first aware of what it is that needs changing? Nor did I see myself as a representative for those groups; rather, my reasoning was simply "These people can speak for themselves, but their voice doesn't seem to be heard on this forum. I know what they're saying, however--perhaps I can help spread their words to reach here, so my fellow TWeb users will also be aware, and we can work together to discuss and formulate good solutions."

But then some of the discussions here got heated out of proportion for a variety of reasons, people began insulting and attacking my character, I responded angrily, and everything went to Sheol.

I have told you the truth and nothing but in this post.
                                OK, and I'm typing this as calmly and respectfully as I can.... and it's still going to draw fire, but so be it.... I get frustrated because there are those who seem to write a whole bunch about something, and I ask, "ok, so what are you actually DOING about it?", and I get a bunch of "credentialism" crap thrown at me.

I write about stuff, but I believe in DOING stuff. And, for that, I get crap like, "So, you're a REAL Christian", or whatever. It comes with the territory.

Comment