Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

States to Ignore Federal Courts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• States to Ignore Federal Courts?

Support Grows for States to Ignore the Federal Courts

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 33% of Likely U.S. Voters now believe that states should have the right to ignore federal court rulings if their elected officials agree with them. That’s up nine points from 24% when we first asked this question in February. Just over half (52%) disagree, down from 58% in the earlier survey. Fifteen percent (15%) are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Can it actually happen though? Without SCOTUS getting involved again of course. This is a sticky one.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
      Can it actually happen though? Without SCOTUS getting involved again of course. This is a sticky one.
      I'm still processing this.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well it would be one way to resist tyranny. Better than picking up arms I would say.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

It might lead to the use of arms down the road a bit.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Is the beginning of anarchy the refusal to recognize the "Final Authority"?
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Not really surprising.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

States have already been ignoring the federal government by legalizing marijuana. I have been shouted down by trying to point this out (not as much here), but what's the real difference in principle? It seems many people who support pot will be upset about this and that doesn't strike me as consistent.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  States have already been ignoring the federal government by legalizing marijuana. I have been shouted down by trying to point this out (not as much here), but what's the real difference in principle? It seems many people who support pot will be upset about this and that doesn't strike me as consistent.
                  We need to ignore the federal government in a lot more areas. We will not because it would result in less free stuff for voters.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    We need to ignore the federal government in a lot more areas. We will not because it would result in less free stuff for voters.
                    And, therein lies the rub --- we have far too many people who vote for "free stuff", and far too few who vote for what's best for our country. Makes me a little nostalgic for JFK's "ask not what your country can do for you....." speech.

Comment

Permissive v restrictive society andlegitimate medical benefits documented by researchers, would be two domains where marijuana is vastly different from, say, gay marriage. These are very different from each other and it's a mistake to compare them broadly as being examples of states ignoring the feds without including a whole host of scientific, social structural, and historical reasons alongside the discussion.

It doesn't surprise me for a second that you were shouted down elsewhere for this

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                        Permissive v restrictive society andlegitimate medical benefits documented by researchers, would be two domains where marijuana is vastly different from, say, gay marriage. These are very different from each other and it's a mistake to compare them broadly as being examples of states ignoring the feds without including a whole host of scientific, social structural, and historical reasons alongside the discussion.

It doesn't surprise me for a second that you were shouted down elsewhere for this
                        There are reasons, no doubt about it, but when the objections run no deeper than "you're ignoring the federal government", no room is left for principled objection on other grounds.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

There are reasons, no doubt about it, but when the objections run no deeper than "you're ignoring the federal government", no room is left for principled objection on other grounds.
                          It's a good thing that there are actual, big differences then between the two even if some unknown person articulates it broadly or simply that doesn't remove the differences. Especially on sites with a more balanced member population that you'd need to do more than just push at one person speaking briefly to have a solid point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                            It's a good thing that there are actual, big differences then between the two even if some unknown person articulates it broadly or simply that doesn't remove the differences. Especially on sites with a more balanced member population that you'd need to do more than just push at one person speaking briefly to have a solid point.
                            On the other hand, I think one could make a strong case that direct disobedience of the Supreme Court is more of a threat to federalism because the Supreme Court has no enforcement mechanism.

Comment

On the other hand, I think one could make a strong case that direct disobedience of the Supreme Court is more of a threat to federalism because the Supreme Court has no enforcement mechanism.
                              Doesn't the executive branch enforce supreme court decisions? Like when the National Guard was brought in to desegregate those schools in Alabama? I think you're right that direct opposition to SCOTUS is a bigger deal than medical marijuana (and now recreational marijuana in a few places), even outside of the differences of expanding vs restricting what people can do.

Comment