Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Woman says: give me US$1 million or I abort my baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RumTumTugger
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    lots of bad reviews on Amazon because of it.
    good

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
    and the writer should be told that that was in very very very poor tastes to say the least and it shows how immoral he/she is
    lots of bad reviews on Amazon because of it.

Leave a comment:

• RumTumTugger
    replied
    Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
    It was a publicity stunt for a book.
    and the writer should be told that that was in very very very poor tastes to say the least and it shows how immoral he/she is

Leave a comment:

• Sea of red
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    I would rather take something that is that appalling seriously until it is proven a hoax than to ignore it altogether and find out it is real.

I was suspicious at first, as is evident by my initial posts in this thread, but had no way to check whether it was phony or not. And I don't think that asking about the resolution of such a horror is a bad thing, even though it may be fake.

You have to realize that people will sink to lows you never knew were possible on the internet - I've seen far worse than this on the internet that I'd rather not go into. People know that it's easy to fake just about anything behind a computer, due to people not being able to look at a person in the eyes and have to convey sincere emotions

On the internet, if something looks like troll bait, it probably is.

Leave a comment:

• Jaecp
    replied
    Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
    Yep, it wasn't even the fun viral marketing where some outof touch activist was trying to make a point.

More the pity, but I wish people would take more skepticism to things seemingly designed to push all of their buttons

Leave a comment:

• Jaecp
    replied
    I would rather take something that is that appalling seriously until it is proven a hoax than to ignore it altogether and find out it is real.

I was suspicious at first, as is evident by my initial posts in this thread, but had no way to check whether it was phony or not. And I don't think that asking about the resolution of such a horror is a bad thing, even though it may be fake.

That approach opens one up to the abuse of your good nature by marketers like the ones in this case.

By nature of my usual job, I have to consider what is worth going after. While it could have been true, sure, there were so many red flags that the prudent course of action is either wait and see or dismissal until more evidence came forward.

Treating every faint possibility as serious is a recipe for destruction.

Leave a comment:

• Irate Canadian
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
    That isn't a good argument, Mossy

My posts here don't meaningfully effect the hoaxes page views. and if my comments about it being a hoax, when at least half of the people here were taking it seriously at first, kept even one person from sharing it via email or Facebook then I'm at a huge net positive. If the memory of how easily the hoax was believed spurs them to caution the next time then even better.

Leave a comment:

• Jaecp
    replied
    If you don't think the page views should be increased, then don't post in the thread.

That isn't a good argument, Mossy

My posts here don't meaningfully effect the hoaxes page views. and if my comments about it being a hoax, when at least half of the people here were taking it seriously at first, kept even one person from sharing it via email or Facebook then I'm at a huge net positive. If the memory of how easily the hoax was believed spurs them to caution the next time then even better.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    If you don't think the page views should be increased, then don't post in the thread.

That makes WAY too much sense!!!!!! GTG

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    I suggest you re-read the thread and, likewise, if you do know something is a hoax then don't increase the hoax's pageviews

All that does is encourage stuff like this

Leave a comment:

• Jaecp
    replied
    Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    We knew it was a hoax... a sick one too.
    I suggest you re-read the thread and, likewise, if you do know something is a hoax then don't increase the hoax's pageviews

All that does is encourage stuff like this

Leave a comment:

• Jaecp
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You're still doing that "hey, look, I'm a grownup cause I can say damn" thing. That's pathetic.
    Oh, yay, moralizing!

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    We knew it was a hoax... a sick one too.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Oh look, it was an obvious hoax and not even an obvious hoax for some kind of political point, but a marketing ploy for some novel!

For God's sake people, and I use that with the barest whiff of irony, stop being so damn easy to troll. It's pathetic.
    You're still doing that "hey, look, I'm a grownup cause I can say damn" thing. That's pathetic.

Leave a comment: