Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS to Hear Union Dues Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCOTUS to Hear Union Dues Case

California teacher's Supreme Court case may determine future of public employee unions

The Supreme Court said Tuesday that it would hear a major challenge to California's public unions and decide whether they may charge fees to non-members to support collective bargaining.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...630-story.html
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Good!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Good!
      Well, MAYBE -- we'll see.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Well, MAYBE -- we'll see.
        Yeah. It's not like I've been agreeing with many of its decisions lately.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Yeah. It's not like I've been agreeing with many of its decisions lately.
          I think Kennedy will be on our side on this one.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

When I was a police officer, there was a group constantly trying to unionize our police department. It was the Teamsters Union. (seriously)

When I worked for Ford Motor for a brief period, our mandatory union dues - if there was no strike - would be used for an end-of-year party with lots of booze - I didn't drink. When there WAS a strike, our "union benefits" would be $52 a week, and we NEVER made up the lost wages from the time we were shut down. All it did was put us a couple car payments and rent payments behind.

When I worked for privately held electronics firm, the union movement was constantly trying to unionize us. That was almost comical, because the owner of the company would allow the union leaders to come in and speak to the entire plant (about 2200 workers) to make their pitch, then he would thank them and address the crowd something like - "you all know how well I have taken care of my employees, and your pay is well above average for this industry. Please think about the perks you already have, and then consider that I'm now 73 years old, and have already made my fortune. I will not run a union company, and I doubt the union will take on the salaries of 2200 employees".

The unionization attempts always failed by huge margins.

Comment

Why bother? Their minds are already made up on most every issue...
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Unions might have started out helping workers get fair wages and working conditions, but today, they are just political groups that suck money out of their member's pockets to line their own.

Comment

The oilfield company for whom I worked as chaplain -- I was also HR Director -- one of our Pennsylvania foremen told me he had been approached by a union organizer. The guy wanted to take my guy to lunch to "discuss things". I asked, "what did you say?" He said, "why don't you give me the money you would have spent on me for a good steak, then go [two word expression referencing a sexual act which I'm pretty sure is impossible to accomplish].

Our guys realized they had it WAY better than similar companies who had unionized.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Unions might have started out helping workers get fair wages and working conditions, but today, they are just political groups that suck money out of their member's pockets to line their own.
                    Even when they started, IIRC they had a significant political component. And wages and working conditions were already improving without unions as jobs began to require prerequisite skills and the pool of available labor shrank.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Even when they started, IIRC they had a significant political component. And wages and working conditions were already improving without unions as jobs began to require prerequisite skills and the pool of available labor shrank.
                      And they were run by the mob too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        And they were run by the mob too.
                        Still are.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment