Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will Biden Run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    And participants in the individual market have choices regarding their deductible; higher premiums mean lower deductibles and vice versa.
    When you're poor, you go with the cheapest "now" cost, and hope the future cost never happens.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      When you're poor, you go with the cheapest "now" cost, and hope the future cost never happens.
      Which is why the ACA expands Medicaid and provides extensive subsidies that decrease with income.

The old option was A) buy "catastrophic" insurance, which was cheap and didn't actually cover important things, or (more likely) B) stay uninsured and hope the future cost never happens.

Anyone criticizing the ACA for high deductible plans has to propose a better solution. And unless that person is pitching universal coverage, his solution isn't going to be better for the poor.
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        . But it will be interesting to see if they can manage to exceed thirty candidates. I think they win a free candidate for every ten they enter.
        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Which is why the ACA expands Medicaid and provides extensive subsidies that decrease with income.
          "Other People's Money", yes. And these people would not take into account that the more they make, the more their insurance would cost?

The old option was A) buy "catastrophic" insurance, which was cheap and didn't actually cover important things, or (more likely) B) stay uninsured and hope the future cost never happens.

Anyone criticizing the ACA for high deductible plans has to propose a better solution. And unless that person is pitching universal coverage, his solution isn't going to be better for the poor.
          So, what's "affordable" about having to pay a $5,000 deductible if I need to use the coverage? How bout calling it the "Really Expensive In-The-Long-Run Insurance Plan But Better Than The Republicans Offer"?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ok aside from starlight's comment...
            The field of candidates is depressing
            Hillary or Jeb

And recently Bobby Jindal

How about we elect these two

Bugs_bunny_and_daffy_duck_warner_bros.jpg
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              "Other People's Money", yes. And these people would not take into account that the more they make, the more their insurance would cost?

So, what's "affordable" about having to pay a $5,000 deductible if I need to use the coverage? How bout calling it the "Really Expensive In-The-Long-Run Insurance Plan But Better Than The Republicans Offer"?

See above: for most people, even higher-deductible plans will be cheaper than the employee-contribution on the group market. And again, you're not going to "bend the curve" further downward without something like a public option or universal coverage. While I'd be happy if right-leaning folk finally started pitching those sorts of ideas, I have to admit that I'd find the chutzpah a little much at first.

The poor, if they are to have access to health care, are going to be using "Other People's Money" one way or the other. Are you complaining about the poor having deductibles that are too high or about the poor taking "Other People's Money"?
              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

See above: for most people, even higher-deductible plans will be cheaper than the employee-contribution on the group market. And again, you're not going to "bend the curve" further downward without something like a public option or universal coverage. While I'd be happy if right-leaning folk finally started pitching those sorts of ideas, I have to admit that I'd find the chutzpah a little much at first.

The poor, if they are to have access to health care, are going to be using "Other People's Money" one way or the other. Are you complaining about the poor having deductibles that are too high or about the poor taking "Other People's Money"?
                Sam, you're a dunderhead! I'm not "complaining"!

Gotta go mow some pasture.

(CP is kidding, he doe snot think Sam is really a dunderhead)

Comment

The poor, if they are to have access to health care, are going to be using "Other People's Money" one way or the other.
                  Certainly

Are you complaining
                  No.

about the poor having deductibles that are too high
                  I'm simply pointing out that it's deceptive to call Obamacare "affordable" when the deductibles are so high. What good is it if they can barely afford the premium, then have to cough up $5,000 they don't have to use the services?

I'm just saying we need a little truth in advertising here --- it's not "affordable". With the loss of jobs in my area because of several businesses laying off all at the same time, I'm quite familiar with people trying to find "affordable" plans compared to what they had from their employer. They're shocked.

Comment