Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bristol Palin disruption thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristol Palin disruption thread

But she DID choose to cash in on that fame and take a LOT of money to endorse and promote a lifestyle she did not uphold...so I'm torn. I see your point about how it could cause those in a similar situation to abort rather than endure the shaming...but what about the other side of the coin? We look the other way because of it? No win situation...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Originally posted by fm93
    are you doing anything about it besides blogging on the internet or is this just more empty conservative blather

You've been waiting all this time to turn that around, and you blow it with THIS!?!?!?!?!

I made a casual sympathetic comment - I'm not mindlessly and hypocritically advocating SOMEBODY ELSE do something I'm not doing. That's YOUR schtick.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 06-29-2015, 06:21 AM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't mind light pushback in this thread but I really didn't want this to turn into another liberal vs. conservative rumble.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

My apologies. Unsubscribing.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I don't mind light pushback in this thread but I really didn't want this to turn into another liberal vs. conservative rumble.
          I had no political motivations there at all, actually.
          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
            I had no political motivations there at all, actually.
            This forum is solely for the support of pro-life matters. That is all.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              This forum is solely for the support of pro-life matters. That is all.
              I realize that. And I am pro-life.
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Unfortunately, Ms. Palin is making defense of herself more difficult by claiming that the child was planned ahead of time. My original post had in mind allowing people the grace to admit they made a mistake and to move forward with the natural consequences.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

As you've probably heard, Bristol Palin is pregnant with her second child. The reason she is getting so much grief is because she was getting paid $200,000 to promote abstinence. So, yes, she has been caught being a major hypocrite.

I am going to argue we should not join in on shaming her. As I posted in another thread a few weeks ago, it is not a sin to be unmarried and pregnant; it is a sin to have sex outside of marriage. Bristol may not be very sympathetic because of her job, but think about other women who have a lot invested in not being pregnant. Maybe a single woman in your church. If these people get condemned for being pregnant, all it does is encourage them to seek an abortion before anybody finds out... and I have no doubt this happens all the time.

(For the record, I do think Bristol was a poor choice to have been promoting abstinence given that she became pregnant out of wedlock in a very high profile manner previously.)
                  So, what do you suggest happen to people who degrade how the Church is viewed in our culture, including those who engage in sex outside of marriage?

Or is this the new normal in Church?

Comment

Originally posted by themuzicman View Post
                    So, what do you suggest happen to people who degrade how the Church is viewed in our culture, including those who engage in sex outside of marriage?

Or is this the new normal in Church?
                    As was said earlier... it's a church discipline issue or a family issue. But my original post was contingent on Palin admitting she made a mistake and moving forward. She seems completely unrepentant so it's a different ballgame now.

Comment

As was said earlier... it's a church discipline issue or a family issue. But my original post was contingent on Palin admitting she made a mistake and moving forward. She seems completely unrepentant so it's a different ballgame now.
                      Sorry, but "made a mistake" implies that one didn't realize a bad outcome could/would result from an action.

Unless she was raped, she directly violated the very principles she was being PAID to uphold. That's worthy of any number of levels of scorn.

Comment

This thread is completely out of hand. If you want to debate what Bristol Palin did do so elsewhere.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by themuzicman View Post
                          Sorry, but "made a mistake" implies that one didn't realize a bad outcome could/would result from an action.

Unless she was raped, she directly violated the very principles she was being PAID to uphold. That's worthy of any number of levels of scorn.
                          While this is true... I'm more concerned about creating an environment where people will feel pressured to have abortions to hide what they did. That was the point of my OP and I think this is a more urgent concern than how we pass judgment upon people who sin.

Comment