Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Radicalization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radicalization

In wake of the attacks in Tunisia , the UK education minister has just been asked on radio how they are going to spot children who are becoming radicalized. Answer: If someone says they hate homosexuals. I am sure the children in their sights are really Christians. This is the same woman who saw fit to get schools to question 10 year olds about what lesbians 'do' and whether they have friends who feel trapped in the wrong body. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...sbians-do.html

Yes homosexuals are being killed by ISIS but so are Christians and Yazidis and everyone else who isn't ISIS. I see some similarities there with intolerant progressives

"Conservatives are crazy if they think marriage equality, and laws preventing radicalization, will lead to their freedoms to teach and believe what they do, to be taken away."

Seriously though, I think even the ACLU would say that this British woman has overstepped her bounds.

Comment

I found this interesting list of the questions guide for the Ofsted inspectors, available here. I think Christians could charitable grant most of that. Slinging out the word 'gay' as an insult is not proper behavior (as is any bad language), and all manners of bullying are wrong and there's nothing wrong with granting that the teachers are keeping an eye out 'also for homosexual students', and that the pupils know bullying gay people is wrong.

However the point about learning about 'different types of families' of course covers more than simple teaching that single-parents exist. And I doubt they'd be content with a Christian education, that while two lesbians can adopt, this is not in accordance with Divine or Natural Law.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2935673/Ofsted-guide-bombard-11-year-olds-questions-lesbians.html

THE Ofsted guide — Exploring the School's Actions to Prevent Homophobic and Transphobic Bullying Briefing — says inspectors can ask primary pupils:

• If they ever hear anyone use the word 'gay' to describe something and whether teachers have told them why using the world to mean something is rubbish is wrong.
      • If pupils ever get picked on for not behaving like a 'typical' girl or boy.
      • If pupils learn about different types of famillies (e.g single-parent)
      • If they think that someone born a girl who would rather be a boy, or a boy who would rather be a girl, would feel safe at school.

At secondary schools:
      • If there is any homophobic bullying or derogatory in school or on social media sites, including about the staff, and if pupils have learned about ways to stop it happening.
      • If a pupil or teacher who is gay or thinks themselves of the opposite gender would feels safe
      • If pupils learn about different types of families.
      • Inspectors should make sure questions are age-appropriate and asked in the right context.

With senior leaders:
      • If they are aware of any homophobic/transphobic bullying, and how it is acted upon, including whether staff are trained to handle it.
      • Whether the school ensures that they meet the needs of homosexual and transgender pupils.
      • Whether policies include reference carers as well as parents.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        "Conservatives are crazy if they think marriage equality, and laws preventing radicalization, will lead to their freedoms to teach and believe what they do, to be taken away."

Seriously though, I think even the ACLU would say that this British woman has overstepped her bounds.

Yes, marriage aside, there is a concern about the continued eroding of freedoms. Our kids have to attend school where the environment is often set up to undermine Christianity. So the parents of a child who voices the Biblical view of homosexuality might very soon find themselves on the list to have state intervention in the upbringing of the child. Here is a case of foster carers being snagged up in this sort of thinking http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-12598896 so it is quite possible that in the new climate the plan is to extend it to biological parents. We can only go on past actions to inform us. It is repressive and it is getting more and more so.

Comment

I found this interesting list of the questions guide for the Ofsted inspectors, available here. I think Christians could charitable grant most of that. Slinging out the word 'gay' as an insult is not proper behavior (as is any bad language), and all manners of bullying are wrong and there's nothing wrong with granting that the teachers are keeping an eye out 'also for homosexual students', and that the pupils know bullying gay people is wrong.

However the point about learning about 'different types of families' of course covers more than simple teaching that single-parents exist. And I doubt they'd be content with a Christian education, that while two lesbians can adopt, this is not in accordance with Divine or Natural Law.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2935673/Ofsted-guide-bombard-11-year-olds-questions-lesbians.html

THE Ofsted guide — Exploring the School's Actions to Prevent Homophobic and Transphobic Bullying Briefing — says inspectors can ask primary pupils:

• If they ever hear anyone use the word 'gay' to describe something and whether teachers have told them why using the world to mean something is rubbish is wrong.
          • If pupils ever get picked on for not behaving like a 'typical' girl or boy.
          • If pupils learn about different types of famillies (e.g single-parent)
          • If they think that someone born a girl who would rather be a boy, or a boy who would rather be a girl, would feel safe at school.

At secondary schools:
          • If there is any homophobic bullying or derogatory in school or on social media sites, including about the staff, and if pupils have learned about ways to stop it happening.
          • If a pupil or teacher who is gay or thinks themselves of the opposite gender would feels safe
          • If pupils learn about different types of families.
          • Inspectors should make sure questions are age-appropriate and asked in the right context.

With senior leaders:
          • If they are aware of any homophobic/transphobic bullying, and how it is acted upon, including whether staff are trained to handle it.
          • Whether the school ensures that they meet the needs of homosexual and transgender pupils.
          • Whether policies include reference carers as well as parents.

I personally would not be happy with anyone who bullied or belittles someone who was gay or transexual.** However I also teach my children that viewing homosexuality as a sin is a legitimate view and I am sure no state school would be happy teach this view alongside their own.

**As Christians we believe in free will - to me the free-er a person is to make a decision then the free-er the decision and at the end of the day we have to accept peoples' right to choose their own paths. Someone who has been forced into a decision has not really made the decision. Bullying serves no purpose.
          Last edited by Abigail; 06-30-2015, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Some relevant outtakes from the report the Ofsted Inspectors did a Christian School which is made to close, available here. They cite a number of problems, mostly regarding the quality of the education itself, but there's something interesting comments about diversity education. Not all of which I disagree with... however I have to wonder what kind of glasses the inspectors were wearing when they inspected the School.

Source: Ofsted Report: Grindon Hall Christian School

• The school’s curriculum is limiting pupils’ readiness for life in modern Britain. A significant proportion ofpupils are unaware, for example, of the diversity that exists within modern British society. They have notbeen taught about the range of beliefs and opinions that people may hold that differ to their own. As such, pupils do not readily accept that there may be alternative viewpoints to those they hold.
            • Pupils are not taught to develop appropriate levels of respect or tolerance for those from other faiths, cultures or communities. For example, pupils spoken to during the inspection found it difficult to name a religion other than Christianity or to identify any festivals that other faiths or cultures may celebrate. This is despite learning alongside some peers who are non-Christian. The school’s efforts to promote equality of opportunity and tackle discrimination are inadequate.
            • Some pupils explained to inspectors that they do not feel safe. Serious safeguarding incidents over the last year, while investigated by senior leaders, have not been analysed so that lessons can be learned and the risk of any future incidents minimised. Leaders have not instigated a review of the curriculum to ensure it takes account of pupils’ lack of awareness about e-safety and aspects of sex and relationships education. There is no open forum for pupils to discuss these issues in school and they are inadequately prepared to enable them to assess the risks to which they may be exposed in Britain today.
            • Pupils have little confidence in the school’s systems to address bullying. While incidents are reported and logged, the use of derogatory language relating to race or sexual orientation persists because the curriculum does not teach pupils about equality, diversity and the need to be tolerant and respectful towards those who are different to themselves. Pupils’ response to inspectors’ questions showed immaturity and a lack of awareness in discussing these matters.

Comment

Some relevant outtakes from the report the Ofsted Inspectors did a Christian School which is made to close, available here. They cite a number of problems, mostly regarding the quality of the education itself, but there's something interesting comments about diversity education. Not all of which I disagree with... however I have to wonder what kind of glasses the inspectors were wearing when they inspected the School.

Source: Ofsted Report: Grindon Hall Christian School

• The school’s curriculum is limiting pupils’ readiness for life in modern Britain. A significant proportion ofpupils are unaware, for example, of the diversity that exists within modern British society. They have notbeen taught about the range of beliefs and opinions that people may hold that differ to their own. As such, pupils do not readily accept that there may be alternative viewpoints to those they hold.
              • Pupils are not taught to develop appropriate levels of respect or tolerance for those from other faiths, cultures or communities. For example, pupils spoken to during the inspection found it difficult to name a religion other than Christianity or to identify any festivals that other faiths or cultures may celebrate. This is despite learning alongside some peers who are non-Christian. The school’s efforts to promote equality of opportunity and tackle discrimination are inadequate.
              • Some pupils explained to inspectors that they do not feel safe. Serious safeguarding incidents over the last year, while investigated by senior leaders, have not been analysed so that lessons can be learned and the risk of any future incidents minimised. Leaders have not instigated a review of the curriculum to ensure it takes account of pupils’ lack of awareness about e-safety and aspects of sex and relationships education. There is no open forum for pupils to discuss these issues in school and they are inadequately prepared to enable them to assess the risks to which they may be exposed in Britain today.
              • Pupils have little confidence in the school’s systems to address bullying. While incidents are reported and logged, the use of derogatory language relating to race or sexual orientation persists because the curriculum does not teach pupils about equality, diversity and the need to be tolerant and respectful towards those who are different to themselves. Pupils’ response to inspectors’ questions showed immaturity and a lack of awareness in discussing these matters.

Yeah, who knows. I do remember reading a few pieces in the media where the school was taking issue with the fact they had been so down-graded. I didn't really follow the case after the initial media reports. As for bullying, schools are fined for excluding pupils so often do not exclude those who should be excluded. Homophobic bullying is not the only kind of bullying that goes on but it is the only kind they ever seem to be concerned about. I don't think this is lost on the kids and especially not those who are being bullied for other reasons. All in all favouritism probably does more harm than good.
              Last edited by Abigail; 06-30-2015, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                In wake of the attacks in Tunisia , the UK education minister has just been asked on radio how they are going to spot children who are becoming radicalized. Answer: If someone says they hate homosexuals. I am sure the children in their sights are really Christians.
                Because Christians hate homosexuals?

Is all this "love the sinner, hate the sin" stuff just Public Relations, then?

Roy
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Because Christians hate homosexuals?

Is all this "love the sinner, hate the sin" stuff just Public Relations, then?

Roy
                  No they don't Roy, but the pc brigade will take any dissenting view as 'hate speech'

Comment

I'm having trouble loading the page but in theory this shouldn't apply to Christians because the Christian view is not to hate homosexuals. However I can see cause for concern because a ten year old is not likely to have an accurate understanding of the nuances of their faith. But for that matter, religion aside, how tolerant is your average 10 year old going to be who knows nothing more about the term "gay" than as a playground insult?

Overall, yes, I agree that this is troubling.
                    Last edited by KingsGambit; 06-30-2015, 06:06 AM.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment