Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texting and Driving is a RIGHT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know a guy who fell asleep at the wheel while working as a limousine driver. He woke up after coasting quite a distance, with no damage or injuries. "Common sense" aside, had a police officer seen this, under the consistent libertarian paradigm, nothing could have been done about this.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
      Anyone showing such want of common sense should not be allowed to drive.
      I don't show any want at all for common sense!

I don't want it I tell you!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I know a guy who fell asleep at the wheel while working as a limousine driver. He woke up after coasting quite a distance, with no damage or injuries. "Common sense" aside, had a police officer seen this, under the consistent libertarian paradigm, nothing could have been done about this.
        That seems confused. You are thinking that the police is maintained by the government, which uses force, right? Anyway, why do you think a libertarian will not act in self defense or come to the aid of someone else he perceives to be in danger?
        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

I do not know how I ended up here…. but….

So much to unpack. No, there doesn’t need to be a multiplicity of laws all prohibiting the same thing: threatening force against another person by endangering them. Reckless driving is already a thing, and any reckless driving would be covered. No, one does not have a negative right to recklessly endanger another person without their consent.

This of course presumes public roads, and public enforcements (with all the theft and force required for such things). In an actual libertarian society, this would be owned by someone and issues of contract and consent could be much clearer.

Nice to have a little straw though to burn to warm up my cold little heart.

And oddly enough, there are no theories or philosophies about which there is no disagreement and that can tie everything up in a neat little bow.

When asking if there is a “right” to do something you have to ask whether or not it will infringe upon the negative rights of others. If it does, you do not have a right to do it.
          The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Xena View Post
            I do not know how I ended up here….
            Wrong turn at Albuquerque?

Bugs-ABQ.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Apparently. I think I felt a great disturbance in the force. And Rothbard said.... come.....

sigpic

Comment

Apparently. I think I felt a great disturbance in the force. And Rothbard said.... come.....
                Cow Poke said the magic incantation "Libertarian....Roads" and you were summoned here by the spell.

Comment

I came across this recently:

"HLDI Study: Texting bans don't reduce crashes; effects are slight crash increases"

"If drivers were disregarding the bans, then the crash patterns should have remained steady. So clearly drivers did respond to the bans somehow, and what they might have been doing was moving their phones down and out of sight when they texted, in recognition that what they were doing was illegal. This could exacerbate the risk of texting by taking drivers' eyes further from the road and for a longer time."
                  http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...rash-increases

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Cow Poke said the magic incantation "Libertarian....Roads" and you were summoned here by the spell.
                    An incantation of frightful power.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      An incantation of frightful power.
                      If I become a Libertarian, I am going to buy a key stretch of an interstate, like a bridge and make everyone pay through their nose to use it. Something like $500 per foot. And they can text all they want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Ahh that's what happened.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                          I came across this recently:

"HLDI Study: Texting bans don't reduce crashes; effects are slight crash increases"

"If drivers were disregarding the bans, then the crash patterns should have remained steady. So clearly drivers did respond to the bans somehow, and what they might have been doing was moving their phones down and out of sight when they texted, in recognition that what they were doing was illegal. This could exacerbate the risk of texting by taking drivers' eyes further from the road and for a longer time."
                          http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...rash-increases
                          The State is great at making unintended consequences. I love the State.

Oh crap that felt so gross.

sigpic

Comment

The State is great at making unintended consequences. I love the State.
                            Even at the local level. Can't imagine why Baltimore has seen an uptick in crime.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Even at the local level. Can't imagine why Baltimore has seen an uptick in crime.
                              Your quote of me triggered me badly.

sigpic

Comment

Your quote of me triggered me badly.
                                Why do I suddenly feel the urge to visit a shooting range?
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment