Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Church arsons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrs View Post
    No, I didn't know about the organisation but most organisations referring to a specific group's history tend to be run by people of that group. It's part of American heritage, yes, but it's part of African-American heritage and if I as a white person set up a shop profiting off of that heritage that would be messed up. No, it shouldn't be erased from history, I neither said nor implied that. Yes, I know it's a genre of music but that doesn't make that term not a slur when it was explicitly used as one in its historical context which is part of the reason why the genre is called that in the first place.

Can we actually talk about the structural racism issues and not playing "Can I say the N word in the rain, can I say the N word on a train."?
    Again, Chrs - good luck on your Doctorate, and thanks for all you've done for T-web.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Again, Chrs - good luck on your Doctorate, and thanks for all you've done for T-web.
      Ditto.

But I was wondering if after becoming a doctor whether when we contact you will you tell us to put the lime in the coconut and call me in the morning?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Ditto.

But I was wondering if after becoming a doctor whether when we contact you will you tell us to put the lime in the coconut and call me in the morning?
        And, will he end posts with "Trust me, I'm a Doctor!"
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

*raises eyebrow* I find it amusing that I'm being accused of having "a tone" when you were similarly snarking at me, but I don't see a reason to force a conversation, so, thank you.

--

Also I'm pretty sure the rule is that you can only call yourself a doctor in casual conversation for a month after graduating without looking anachronistically pompous.

Unless you bought your doctorate, in which case put it everywhere. (talking of which, NatSci is looking surprisingly bare.)

Comment

I tried to tell chrs how useless it was to try to have an actual conversation with CP, but nooooooo he had to go and type up a big essay first.

As an aside of my own, I think that modern social justice theory-- all this stuff about privilege and structural problems, etc.-- provides us with about as good an argument as we could possibly ask for with respect to the fact of original sin and concupiscence. Which is another way of saying, Chrs is right, but he could be even right-er.
            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

*raises eyebrow* I find it amusing that I'm being accused of having "a tone" when you were similarly snarking at me
              I apologize. Didn't intend it that way.

Comment

I apologize. Didn't intend it that way.
                I wasn't intending any snark other than a small friendly poking. Maybe I'm just too British.

Comment

(Aside: in collaborative resources like wikipedia, I'd argue that pages referring to specific pieces of history belonging to minority or otherwise currently/historically oppressed groups would be better done by people of that group. Wikipedia has a massive race, gender, and... well, everything issue.)
                  I might be wrong, but it would seem that such an approach would introduce unnecessary bias into the editing process.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Here's the dealio. Are there white supremacists in the US? Yes. Are there white racists in the US? Yes. Are the terms synonymous? No.

Has racism, let alone white supremacy, been broadly socially acceptable in the US for the last half-century? No. Are traditions generally socially acceptable? Yes. How, then, pray tell, can white supremacy be considered an "American tradition"?
                    Devil's Night is considered a Detroit tradition. It is very socially unacceptable to any decent law abiding citizen... but I'd consider it a tradition nonetheless.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      Well, CP beat me to it, but racism is a sin! So, it it a sin problem, with racism being the specific sin in question.
                      Technically, racism is narrow-mindedness and arrogance applied to skin color. So unrepentant narrow-mindedness is the sin in question.

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                      As an aside of my own, I think that modern social justice theory-- all this stuff about privilege and structural problems, etc.-- provides us with about as good an argument as we could possibly ask for with respect to the fact of original sin and concupiscence. Which is another way of saying, Chrs is right, but he could be even right-er.
                      Seriously. It ties in so well with Christian philosophy. You'd think Christian conservatives would be more on board with it.
                      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Devil's Night is considered a Detroit tradition. It is very socially unacceptable to any decent law abiding citizen... but I'd consider it a tradition nonetheless.
                        So, perhaps a "Detroit tradition", but an American tradition?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                          I might be wrong, but it would seem that such an approach would introduce unnecessary bias into the editing process.
                          Yeah, that just doesn't make any sense.

Comment

So, perhaps a "Detroit tradition", but an American tradition?
                            I guess I just don't see why we shouldn't acknowledge and distance ourselves from sins in our own past instead of trying to minimize them. Al Mohler does a good job of acknowledging this in his own religious tradition here: http://www.albertmohler.com/2015/06/...ing-the-truth/
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I guess I just don't see why we shouldn't acknowledge and distance ourselves from sins in our own past instead of trying to minimize them.
                              I guess I just don't see why we shouldn't acknowledge and distance ourselves from sins in our own past without trying to maximize them.

Comment

You're reaching. Try not to hurt yourself.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment