Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Besides SCOTUS, Where Does a Mere "Majority"....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Besides SCOTUS, Where Does a Mere "Majority"....

Besides the Supreme Court of the United States, where does a "simple majority" allow major life changing decisions?

I've been a parliamentarian for many years, and it's a common practice that the more important the decision, the greater the "majority" has to be.
    Even our Congress works this way.

Many things can be "won" by "simple majority", but major issues require a "super majority" of two thirds or three quarters.

It just surprises me that MAJOR decisions can be made by a 5-4 vote.

In our Church, when we are making a major decision, and the vote is only something like 70% for, I'll often suggest, "let's step back and revisit this", because, to me, unity is crucial to the operation of a Church. MOST of our votes, because we do our homework and present issues we are pretty sure will pass with overwhelming support, are 100%.

With all the safeguards built into our country's operation by the founders (balance of power, etc.), I'm surprised that major decisions with major consequences can be made with a "simple majority".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I don't think our Founding Fathers ever envisioned the Supreme Court becoming the lawless institution it has become. The whole point of lifetime appointments was to make the justices immune to political manipulation, but it hasn't worked out so well now that the majority of the court is made up of liberal activists.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I don't think our Founding Fathers ever envisioned the Supreme Court becoming the lawless institution it has become. The whole point of lifetime appointments was to make the justices immune to political manipulation, but it hasn't worked out so well now that the majority of the court is made up of liberal activists.
      Thomas Jefferson, IIRC, sounded a warning regarding the court.

The root problem is that government is a human institution, and no human institution is safe from corruption.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I don't think the Founding Fathers ever envisioned career politicians, either.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Reminds me of George Washington's warning against political parties....
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

They saw it as a part time job IIRC

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Reminds me of George Washington's warning against political parties....
              George Washington was the Cincinnatus of our time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                They saw it as a part time job IIRC
                Yes, "service" to our Country - the "citizen legislator" - go do your service, then come back home and live under the laws you passed.

Comment

Yes, "service" to our Country - the "citizen legislator" - go do your service, then come back home and live under the laws you passed.
                  Why is the SCOTUS doing legislation? I didn't think that was there job!
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    Why is the SCOTUS doing legislation? I didn't think that was there job!
                    Why is the Executive branch doing legislation? That's not HIS job.

There is no more separation of powers.

Comment

How do we fix that? And how do we get people in office that aren't rich career politicians?

Comment

How do we fix that? And how do we get people in office that aren't rich career politicians?
                        Only an honest-to-goodness Holy Ghost revival, in my opinion, can change things now.

Comment

Only an honest-to-goodness Holy Ghost revival, in my opinion, can change things now.
                          Is there any problem that couldn't be solved with Divine intervention?

Comment

Is there any problem that couldn't be solved with Divine intervention?
                            Nothing is impossible with God, as you well know.

Comment

The Constitution is no longer the supreme law of the land. It is merely a suggestion that can be ignored whenever convenient.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment