Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christian Prayer Unacceptable in the Military?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    I don't say so - the history of the Corps says so.
    You think they still hit people?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Actually, no. But they are producing a crop of wussies. To be honest, after having spoken Vets who went through Parris Island during WW2, Korea, and after the Vietnam era, it seems that the DIs during that particular era were rather sadistic. Of course those DIs were all guys who did two-three combat tours in Vietnam. I suspect that they were a little messed up.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        Wow, a lot of ex-military people here. What were your various main motivations for joining?
        Steady job, computer training, opportunity to finish up college, travel opportunities.
        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
          Wow, a lot of ex-military people here. What were your various main motivations for joining?
          I knew I wanted to join the Air Force when I was in 6th grade. I wanted to fly. I ended up a cook...
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            It's more subtle, but yes they do. I work for the Army and I get to talk to the trainees that hare here just after Basic.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Actually, no. But they are producing a crop of wussies. To be honest, after having spoken Vets who went through Parris Island during WW2, Korea, and after the Vietnam era, it seems that the DIs during that particular era were rather sadistic. Of course those DIs were all guys who did two-three combat tours in Vietnam. I suspect that they were a little messed up.
              What's strange is that, according to my father, his Army Basic didn't sound nearly as punishing as mine and my brother's (I was Air Force, my brother was Army). He said the worse thing about his Basic was a 30 mile hike. Then again, he's an artist, and when the Instructors found that he could paint they had him in some building creating murals all day, so he got off easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                It's more subtle, but yes they do. I work for the Army and I get to talk to the trainees that hare here just after Basic.
                My brother said they "accidentally" hit guys on the top of the head or nose with the brim of their hats when they're yelling at em.

Comment