Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

White House to okay negotiating with terror groups holding U.S. hostages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
    Where do you guys get your news?
    The Richmond Times Dispatch, CNN, MSN, and a few other news outlets.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    I tend to get it aggregated, so no single source.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    My impression has been there's always been such negotiation; it's just not been publicly acknowledged.
    This is actually about allowing families to pay ransoms. Prior administrations had facilitated these transfers, but Obama reversed the policy when he came into office, leaving the families who wanted to ransom their relatives to their own devices. There's been a lot of pushback lately, especially after hostages were killed in a couple of attempted rescue raids. There have also been reports that American hostages have been subjected to worse treatment than other foreign nationals because the kidnappers knew they had no value other than for propaganda.

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    Prisoner exchanges should be regularly made and used as an opportunity to plant tracking chips so you can bomb large numbers of them later.
    Why bother, they do enough revealing of their location with their twitter updates and selfies.

Leave a comment:

• Sea of red
    replied
    I use the Google news feed and sort through things from there.

Leave a comment:

• Irate Canadian
    replied
    Tech News is generally from Ars Technica.

I get my news from both sides of the fence, because I don't like being in a echo chamber. It's nice to see some dissenting opinions, even if I am against them 100%.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Prisoner exchanges should be regularly made and used as an opportunity to plant tracking chips so you can bomb large numbers of them later.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I try to use sources sympathetic to my opponent's viewpoint, so they can't whine about the source.

Leave a comment:

• Sea of red
    replied
    Like it or not, you have to negotiate with terrorists on occasion.

Leave a comment:

• Sea of red
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Irate Canadian
    replied
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    In my observation it, the Guardian, and Huffington Post tend to be consistently the best online sources of US political journalism. I would have linked to wikipedia, but a lot of people here complain when I do that. You are of course free to find your own sources to tell you about the Iran-Contra scandal and the October Surprise.
    Huff Post = No, no, just no.
    The Guardian = has some pretty good writing at times, although it does have a slight leftist slant compared to most media.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Salon
    In my observation it, the Guardian, and Huffington Post tend to be consistently the best online sources of US political journalism. I would have linked to wikipedia, but a lot of people here complain when I do that. You are of course free to find your own sources to tell you about the Iran-Contra scandal and the October Surprise.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    The unintended irony of your comment is hilarious. Of all US Presidents to ever negotiate with terrorists, Reagan is the most infamous.

Salon

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    My impression has been there's always been such negotiation; it's just not been publicly acknowledged.
    There's a decent survey here of the many and various times throughout the 20th century that the US has negotiated with terrorists.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied

Leave a comment: