Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lowering the Confederate Flag - and Wally World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    On a related note, I remember when I was an early teen, I used to play Arab/Israeli Wars and Panzer Leader/Panzer Blitz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab-Israeli_Wars_(game)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_Leader_(game)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PanzerBlitz
    Every Saturday Morning, we used to watch (after the cartoons) The Gallant Men, Combat, McHale's Navy, 12 O'clock High, Hogan's Heroes.....

And we played "war" in the corn fields behind our house, and SOMEBODY had to be the Nazis.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And we played "war" in the corn fields behind our house, and SOMEBODY had to be the Nazis.
      That was usually me. They just had cooler uniforms!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        To be honest, I'm a little frustrated that in general in our society, it's difficult to have a conversation distinguishing between whether something should be illegal or whether it is "okay".
        But that's the beauty of living in a land where we have freedom of expression - do we want everything that we think is NOT "okay" to be illegal? Not really following you here.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          That was usually me. They just had cooler uniforms!
          Their helmets were shaped better!

Comment

But that's the beauty of living in a land where we have freedom of expression - do we want everything that we think is NOT "okay" to be illegal? Not really following you here.
            Of course not... I haven't made any suggestion otherwise. Personal opinion is all Adrift was asking. He was asking if we personally would approve of Wal-Mart selling Nazi flags/wallets/T-shirts. He wasn't saying it should be illegal because we all know it's unconstitutional. All the responses to his question didn't actually answer his question, they just said, "Well, it's legal for them to." He wasn't asking about legality at all.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              Hmm. Would you guys also be okay with Walmart selling, say, t-shirts, bill folds, and flags with Nazi emblems on them? The red, white, and black Swastika or the SS bolt?
              If they maintain the level of craftsmanship of the originals, absolutely. Half the neo-nazi movement is probably driven by the Nazis' good fashion sense.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Their helmets were shaped better!
                They were way cool - I loved the standard officer uniform, and they had Tiger tanks!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/334067...yer/54e0aa8ecb
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Of course not... I haven't made any suggestion otherwise. Personal opinion is all Adrift was asking. He was asking if we personally would approve of Wal-Mart selling Nazi flags/wallets/T-shirts. He wasn't saying it should be illegal because we all know it's unconstitutional. All the responses to his question didn't actually answer his question, they just said, "Well, it's legal for them to." He wasn't asking about legality at all.
                  Oh.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    They were way cool - I loved the standard officer uniform, and they had Tiger tanks!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/334067...yer/54e0aa8ecb
                    And who can't like a grenade that you activate by tapping on something, THEN throwing! (Better than requiring the use of both hands)

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      Republicans should agree IF the OTHER symbol of slavery and racism, the Democratic Party, is also abolished. Of course Republicans are busy rushing to surrender to yet another thirsty liberal browbeating. It's hard not to agree with liberals that conservatives are in fact stupid when liberals spawn a mass murder (that was preceded by multiple smaller scale killings) and somehow come out the winners.
                      The Democratic Party is not a symbol of slavery. The Democratic Party of 19th century supported slavery and racism. This began to change in the course of political change in the twentieth century. The full turn around came in the 190s and 60s when the Democrats of the South (Dixiecrats) became predominately Republican in response to the voting rights, and racial equality legislation of that time.

While on the subject, the Republican Party should change its party animal from the elephant to the Cuckoo:
                      superficial change offers nothing, tigers do not change their strips.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

And who can't like a grenade that you activate by tapping on something, THEN throwing! (Better than requiring the use of both hands)
                        Yes, the famous potato masher!

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          The Democratic Party is not a symbol of slavery. The Democratic Party of 19th century supported slavery and racism. This began to change in the course of political change in the twentieth century. The full turn around came in the 190s and 60s when the Democrats of the South (Dixiecrats) became predominately Republican in response to the voting rights, and racial equality legislation of that time.
                          Confederate flag fans think the same about the meaning of the flag, which is not about segregation or slavery anymore. I don't accept double standards and mansplanations. If you want the flag to go because of what happened decades/centuries ago then the Democratic Party should go too, no matter how much it claims to have changed. If not, shut your trap.

superficial change offers nothing, tigers do not change their strips.
                          I'm just asking the tiger to stop bleaching the stripes.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I'm conflicted on this.

I'm inclined to agree that the Confederate Flag on the grounds of the South Carolina Capitol should be lowered for good. But I think this is probably (in my own situation) in sympathy to the incredibly graceful way in which the members and friends of Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church have responded to the violence visited upon them by a hateful young racist.
                            I'm inclined to let South Carolina make its own decisions on this. But if I were a South Carolinian, I'd be uncomfortable knowing this symbol acts as a standard for folks I'd be ashamed to have visiting my home.

Comment

The Democratic Party example is a false equivalency because the CSA does not exist any more, whereas the Democratic Party does. There are no more recent examples to judge the CSA by; all we have is in the dustbin of history.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                                Confederate flag fans think the same about the meaning of the flag, which is not about segregation or slavery anymore. I don't accept double standards and mansplanations. If you want the flag to go because of what happened decades/centuries ago then the Democratic Party should go too, no matter how much it claims to have changed. If not, shut your trap.
                                I have not commented on the flag yet, just your false accusations concerning the Democratic Party.

I'm just asking the tiger to stop bleaching the stripes.
                                The people make up the party at different times in US history, and not the party make up the people.
                                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment