Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How To Escape The Age Of Mass Delusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Escape The Age Of Mass Delusion

Well worth a read:

http://thefederalist.com/2015/06/08/...mass-delusion/

Nearly 100 years ago, Walter Lippmann wrote about “the manufacture of consent” in his classic work, “Public Opinion.” On the heels of that book, Edward Bernays penned a little volume called “Propaganda,” in which he stated that an elite would always be responsible for making the public aware of “new ideas” which the public would then act upon as the elite nudged them into it. Related, but more in-depth is Jacques Ellul’s 1962 book, “Propaganda: The Formation of Men’s Attitudes.”

Political propaganda aims to mobilize the masses to move an agenda forward. That’s most effectively done when the masses are unaware of the process. It’s what “community organizers” work towards, whether they know it or not. Once the masses are mobilized to push for a cause, the propagandists’ goals can be put into law.

In fact, many newly propagandized ideas seem to have taken America by storm just in the past decade or so. Same-sex marriage is only one of those ideas. Transgenderism is now eclipsing that notion, and its propaganda techniques—wrapped in the language of civil rights—are getting Americans on board with the idea of erasing all sex distinctions in law, including their own. It’s as though Americans are buying into a fast-talking sales pitch without being allowed to read the print, whether it’s large print or small.

There’s more on the horizon: a singles’ rights movement that promises to end legal recognition of all marriage. Then there is transhumanism, which includes a push to end “fleshism” by enacting laws that protect non-biological entities from discrimination....

...A lot of people are scratching their heads today, wondering how life got to be so surreal, so fast in the United States of America. Based on the silencing tactics revealed by the LGBT lobby, many observers are likely now thinking: “Gee, I thought marriage equality was merely a gay rights movement. I didn’t realize that fascism was part of that package.” The Great Unraveling continues at a rapid clip when slipping on a pronoun in these days of transgender rule could cost you your career or earn you massive social media rallies chanting “hater” at you.

Even benign reminders of the First Amendment—embodied in Religious Freedom Restoration Acts—are quickly dispatched by mob hysteria. One day a supposedly principled leader like Indiana Gov. Mike Pence promotes the RFRA, and the next day he folds and essentially signs on with the mob.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

The author is seriously delusional if he thinks that freedumb of speech is the solution to all the madness, given that there has remained lots of free speech in the past decades yet the progressive agenda has generally not been stopped. What is needed is incisive thought as the foundation of the counter-propaganda - but that's assuming that things can be reversed, which I highly doubt.

Comment

Yet more conservative right wing topsy-turvy drivel brought to you by Tweb’s most prolific right wing drivel-ist.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        Yet more conservative right wing topsy-turvy drivel brought to you by Tweb’s most prolific right wing drivel-ist.
        That would be your mirror image, wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Mass delusion is very real when about 40%+ of Americans reject the science of evolution.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Mass delusion is very real when about 40%+ of Americans reject the science of evolution.
            That's one of the many major flaws of the article. Conservatives engage in propaganda all the time.

Comment

Oh, right, it's proganda because all you whiny liberals disagree. No intellectual courage to give a point by point rebuttal??

For shame

Its not like there are thousands of badly written conservative op-eds on the net like a veritable Hydra

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                Oh, right, it's proganda because all you whiny liberals disagree. No intellectual courage to give a point by point rebuttal??

For shame

Its not like there are thousands of badly written conservative op-eds on the net like a veritable Hydra
                Yep and thousands of badly written liberal op-eds apparently don't exist.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  It's more like 95%.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    It's more like 95%.
                    No it’s not, but it’s bad enough. A majority of white evangelical Protestants (64%) and half of black Protestants (50%) reject the fact of Evolution in favour of a religious explanation. Interestingly, 77% of college graduates accept Evolution as a fact whereas only 52% of high school graduates or less do so. What does this say about the education levels of Evangelicals?

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/12/30/p...man-evolution/
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      No it’s not, but it’s bad enough. A majority of white evangelical Protestants (64%) and half of black Protestants (50%) reject the fact of Evolution in favour of a religious explanation. Interestingly, 77% of college graduates accept Evolution as a fact whereas only 52% of high school graduates or less do so. What does this say about the education levels of Evangelicals?

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/12/30/p...man-evolution/
                      Seems to say that the less educated you are the more honest you are.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        Seems to say that the less educated you are the more honest you are.
                        Only if you equate honesty with magical thinking and lack of critical thinking skills!
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          Only if you equate honesty with magical thinking and lack of critical thinking skills!

More unintended irony.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment