Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hackers have SSN of every federal employee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
    Being former military, I'm somewhat concerned by this turn of events, although I expected it to happen sooner or later. When you expose stuff to the internet, stuff can get stolen.

In one of my jobs in the military, not only were our computers not connected to the internet, but we used removable hard drives and locked them in safes at night. In a room with motion detectors. Behind double locked doors. Inside a guarded building complex. Ah, those were the days.
    Being former military, if I recall, this isn't the first time this has happened. I seem to recall something like it happened back in like 2005ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Being former military, if I recall, this isn't the first time this has happened. I seem to recall something like it happened back in like 2005ish.
      Hmm. Could be. I don't remember that offhand. On the dimly lit side, at least there are a great many other names mixed in with ours. It might take the thieves some time to work their way through the list.
      Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
        Hmm. Could be. I don't remember that offhand. On the dimly lit side, at least there are a great many other names mixed in with ours. It might take the thieves some time to work their way through the list.
        I was under the impression that SSNs were so easy to get anymore that there isn't really much value in it.

Comment