Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Transabled?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Transabled?

    Becoming disabled by choice, not chance: ‘Transabled’ people feel like impostors in their fully working bodies


    OTTAWA — When he cut off his right arm with a “very sharp power tool,” a man who now calls himself One Hand Jason let everyone believe it was an accident.

    But he had for months tried different means of cutting and crushing the limb that never quite felt like his own, training himself on first aid so he wouldn’t bleed to death, even practicing on animal parts sourced from a butcher.

    “My goal was to get the job done with no hope of reconstruction or re-attachment, and I wanted some method that I could actually bring myself to do,” he told the body modification website ModBlog.

    “We define transability as the desire or the need for a person identified as able-bodied by other people to transform his or her body to obtain a physical impairment,” says Alexandre Baril, a Quebec born academic who will present on “transability” at this week’s Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities at the University of Ottawa.

    Alexandre Baril, a Quebec born academic who will present on "transability" at this week's Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities at the University of Ottawa. Baril himself is not transabled.
    “The person could want to become deaf, blind, amputee, paraplegic. It’s a really, really strong desire.”

    Researchers in Canada are trying to better understand how transabled people think and feel. Clive Baldwin, a Canada Research Chair in Narrative Studies who teaches social work at St. Thomas University in Fredericton, N.B., has interviewed 37 people worldwide who identify as transabled.

    Most of them are men. About half are in Germany and Switzerland, but he knows of a few in Canada. Most crave an amputation or paralysis, though he has interviewed one person who wants his penis removed. Another wants to be blind.

    http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...working-bodies
    .




    How is this deep seated desire or identity any different in kind from being transgendered? Wouldn't we try and fix the transabled person? Make him not want to be transabled?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

  • #2
    That's just a normal expression of human physiology.


    HXjPXyg5EosV6YTvwN7Ucl6gqcf2GzdOV9Zg5N8VhC2awrTo8CCQgRieaCh4SnxO.jpg
    That's what
    - She

    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    Stephen R. Donaldson

    Comment


    • #3
      As long as they do not expect Government assistance because of their disability it is purely their own choice. It is clearly pathological but that does not seem to get in the way these days.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        As long as they do not expect Government assistance because of their disability it is purely their own choice. It is clearly pathological but that does not seem to get in the way these days.
        But aren't we going to pay for transgender surgery under Obama care?

        Obamacare Opens Door For Gender Reassignment Surgery

        http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5711267.html
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by seer View Post
          But aren't we going to pay for transgender surgery under Obama care?

          Obamacare Opens Door For Gender Reassignment Surgery

          http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5711267.html
          Of course not. Their decision won't affect you at all!
          That's what
          - She

          Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

          I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          Stephen R. Donaldson

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by seer View Post
            Wouldn't we try and fix the transabled person? Make him not want to be transabled?
            Maybe someone should try and fix seer. But no, on reflection, I think you are entitled to be just exactly as you are, just like everyone else. BTW, firstfloor is just back from Italy where he took a break from bringing enlightenment to the Christians and where he visited Duomo Santa Maria Annunciata in Vicenza and heard a little organ music (in case you thought I wasn’t speaking to you or something).
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              Maybe someone should try and fix seer. But no, on reflection, I think you are entitled to be just exactly as you are, just like everyone else. BTW, firstfloor is just back from Italy where he took a break from bringing enlightenment to the Christians and where he visited Duomo Santa Maria Annunciata in Vicenza and heard a little organ music (in case you thought I wasn’t speaking to you or something).
              he's back, oh joy...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                Of course not. Their decision won't affect you at all!
                AND you can KEEP your doctor, PERIOD!
                "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                Comment


                • #9
                  I read an article today about Renee Richards in the NY times. It was entitled The lady regrets. Dr. Richards says that She wishes there had been some kind of magical cure that stopped her from undergoing reassignment surgery and succumbing to the pressure from Therapist s media and psychiatry as well as the sexual revolution to do it. She has ceased hormones and is on a journey to actual self acceptance and now disagrees with the judge who allowed her to compete. I think with age comes wisdom though earned entirely too late in Richard's case. She does not express regret for what she has learned due to her actions though.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This is simply the latest in a long line of Tumblrisms. We already have 'Otherkin,' people who literally claim that they are non-human animals trapped in human bodies. Then there are those who claim to be 'non-binary persons' and get mad when people use the 'incorrect pronouns.' Such people even going to the lengths of inventing their own pronouns. I remember seeing some image of some person who claimed being referred to using the wrong pronoun was 'non-binary violence.'

                    Although they're all just derivatives of transsexuality, really. Incidentally, "...[t]here is no conclusive evidence that sex change operations improve the lives of transsexuals, with many people remaining severely distressed and even suicidal after the operation, according to a medical review conducted exclusively for Guardian Weekend tomorrow."
                    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...P=share_btn_tw
                    My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                      I read an article today about Renee Richards in the NY times. It was entitled The lady regrets. Dr. Richards says that She wishes there had been some kind of magical cure that stopped her from undergoing reassignment surgery and succumbing to the pressure from Therapist s media and psychiatry as well as the sexual revolution to do it. She has ceased hormones and is on a journey to actual self acceptance and now disagrees with the judge who allowed her to compete. I think with age comes wisdom though earned entirely too late in Richard's case. She does not express regret for what she has learned due to her actions though.
                      I read a little while ago (so I can't remember the name of the chap) an article about a chap who has now undergone TWO sex change operations, first to become a woman, and then to become a man again.

                      He has a very similar story and reckons that generally people making the decision to do it shouldn't be.

                      I'll see if I can either remember his name or find the article
                      "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
                      -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

                      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                      1 Corinthians 16:13

                      "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                      -Ben Witherington III

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by seer View Post
                        But aren't we going to pay for transgender surgery under Obama care?

                        Obamacare Opens Door For Gender Reassignment Surgery

                        http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5711267.html
                        Yeh! Maybe it is too late for the once great United States of America.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          Maybe someone should try and fix seer. But no, on reflection, I think you are entitled to be just exactly as you are, just like everyone else. BTW, firstfloor is just back from Italy where he took a break from bringing enlightenment to the Christians and where he visited Duomo Santa Maria Annunciata in Vicenza and heard a little organ music (in case you thought I wasn’t speaking to you or something).
                          Oh well.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
                            This is simply the latest in a long line of Tumblrisms. We already have 'Otherkin,' people who literally claim that they are non-human animals trapped in human bodies. Then there are those who claim to be 'non-binary persons' and get mad when people use the 'incorrect pronouns.' Such people even going to the lengths of inventing their own pronouns. I remember seeing some image of some person who claimed being referred to using the wrong pronoun was 'non-binary violence.'

                            Although they're all just derivatives of transsexuality, really. Incidentally, "...[t]here is no conclusive evidence that sex change operations improve the lives of transsexuals, with many people remaining severely distressed and even suicidal after the operation, according to a medical review conducted exclusively for Guardian Weekend tomorrow."
                            http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...P=share_btn_tw
                            They were pathological before surgery, how can mutilating your body cure that?
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think my point here, is that most rational people would try and deal with the psychological problems that a transabled person has, rather than see them have an arm or leg surgically removed. Deal with the psychological end, not the physical end. As I believe we should deal transgender people.
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by shunyadragon, Today, 10:50 PM
                              0 responses
                              6 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by rogue06, Today, 08:47 AM
                              5 responses
                              54 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Started by LiconaFan97, Yesterday, 11:56 PM
                              36 responses
                              219 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post oxmixmudd  
                              Started by mikewhitney, Yesterday, 08:39 PM
                              2 responses
                              26 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post mikewhitney  
                              Started by Darfius, Yesterday, 02:11 PM
                              9 responses
                              112 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Working...
                              X