Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe Biden and compassion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Biden and compassion

Public figures are often little more than cartoon figures to the rest of us, easy targets to mock and deride, to find fault. How often we forget that they have lives just like our own with tragedy and triumph.

Let's spare a thought for VP Joe Biden as a man and the great losses he has suffered. As one human being to another we can extend our compassion.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/30/po...on-beau-biden/

Beau Biden is the second of Joe Biden's children to precede their father in death; the vice president's 1-year-old daughter Naomi was killed in a Christmastime car accident in 1972. The crash also took the life of Joe Biden's first wife, Neilia, who was Beau's mother.

Beau Biden was 2 years old when his mother was killed in the crash. He and his younger brother Hunter were injured but survived the accident, which occurred when a truck careened into the car the family was riding in.

Joe Biden was sworn in as senator at his sons' hospital bedside a few weeks later, and according to the 1988 political biography "What It Takes," by Richard Ben Cramer, the first-term lawmaker threw himself headlong into single parenthood.

"Joe was the parent. Period. No confusion," Cramer wrote. "Joe didn't want anybody else raising his kids, thanks. He was there every night, every weekend. They had stories at bedtime, games of catch on the lawn, outings, trips, places to go."

I always liked Biden. When his first wife died and daughter died in an accident he pretty much raised his two boys alone. Refusing to live in DC he commuted every night to be with his sons (like referenced in your link). Plus he says stupid things - like me. Sorry for his loss.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
      Public figures are often little more than cartoon figures to the rest of us, easy targets to mock and deride, to find fault. How often we forget that they have lives just like our own with tragedy and triumph.

Let's spare a thought for VP Joe Biden as a man and the great losses he has suffered. As one human being to another we can extend our compassion.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/30/po...on-beau-biden/
      Biden may say some silly things but he has always come across as a likable guy. My condolences for his loss.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

ANYONE who has to bury his (or her) son, gets immediate sympathy from me. Parents should not outlive their children. Prayers and good thoughts to Joe in his time of mourning and grief.

To me, Biden is the kind of guy you want to sit at the bar with, have a beer and discuss things. Cameras rolling(?)...not his strong suit IMO...but regardless, he deserves our prayers and sympathy at this time, not criticism...
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Comment

At a time like this, you set politics aside and consider the person. From everything I can see, Biden was an excellent family man, and has had more than his share of tragedy.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My only concert is that there are so many people in the same situation, yet we recognize "celebrities" and other public figures. I sympathize with Joe, but no more than the family of the fellow who killed last week in an auto accident in my area.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                My only concert is that there are so many people in the same situation, yet we recognize "celebrities" and other public figures. I sympathize with Joe, but no more than the family of the fellow who killed last week in an auto accident in my area.
                Agreed. He has my sympathy, as do the family members of the ~million people that died worldwide last week.

Comment