Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

These People Are Shameless!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These People Are Shameless!

How could a good Lib support such people?

To commemorate the 10th anniversary of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, Petra Nemcova, a Czech model who survived the disaster by clinging to a palm tree, decided to pull out all the stops for the annual fund-raiser of her school-building charity, the Happy Hearts Fund.

She booked Cipriani 42nd Street, which greeted guests with Bellini cocktails on silver trays. She flew in Sheryl Crow with her band and crew for a 20-minute set. She special-ordered heart-shaped floral centerpieces, heart-shaped chocolate parfaits, heart-shaped tiramisù and, because orange is the charity’s color, an orange carpet rather than a red one. She imported a Swiss auctioneer and handed out orange rulers to serve as auction paddles, playfully threatening to use hers to spank the highest bidder for an Ibiza vacation.

The gala cost $363,413. But the real splurge? Bill Clinton.

The former president of the United States agreed to accept a lifetime achievement award at the June 2014 event after Ms. Nemcova offered a $500,000 contribution to the Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation. The donation, made late last year after the foundation sent the charity an invoice, amounted to almost a quarter of the evening’s net proceeds — enough to build 10 preschools in Indonesia.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/30/us...tion.html?_r=0
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I don't get the angst here. She promised the money, and apparently forgot to deliver. And the event still netted well over a million dollars, so it was successful.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I don't get the angst here. She promised the money, and apparently forgot to deliver. And the event still netted well over a million dollars, so it was successful.

The idea that Clinton required a 500,000 dollar donation to even go.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Former presidents can command that sort of money.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Former presidents can command that sort of money.
          Really? I don't remember GW demanding a 500,000 dollar donation to help a charity.

Comment

Would it kill you to title your threads descriptively? Or at least make the first line of the thread something descriptive so that we can hover over the thread and get a sense of what you're outraged about today?

The only thing that will give Hillary the nomination at this point is a complete lack of serious competition in the Democratic primary. This isn't particularly potent fuel for the anti-Clinton fire, but that it gets attention is a sign of just how bad things are for her.
            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

The Clinton Foundation is a charity itself. So that's $500k that went to another organization ostensibly using the funds for charity.

I'm sure we'll see many of these conflations between money going to the Clintons and their non-profit in the future.
              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                The Clinton Foundation is a charity itself. So that's $500k that went to another organization ostensibly using the funds for charity.
                Yes, the Clinton's personal expense charity...

Not that we can find out what goes where...

Hillary Clinton insists that she donates fees for giving speeches at colleges and universities but still has not released documents to back up her claims.

In an interview with ABC News' Ann Compton Friday, Clinton defended the high-dollar fees she charges for speaking at universities by saying the money goes to charity through the Bill, Hillary & Chelsea Clinton Foundation she controls with her husband, former president Bill Clinton. But Clinton, in response to specific follow-up questions, has offered nothing but silence.

"I have been very excited to speak to many universities during the last year and a half, and all of the fees have been donated to the Clinton Foundation for it to continue its life-changing and lifesaving work," Clinton said. "So it goes from a Foundation at a university to another foundation."

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...-speaker-fees/

Comment

Really? I don't remember GW demanding a 500,000 dollar donation to help a charity.
                  On our side it's usually folks like Robert Schuller and Joyce Meyer who get the press for wasting that kind of money on stuff like orange carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by jpholding View Post
                    On our side it's usually folks like Robert Schuller and Joyce Meyer who get the press for wasting that kind of money on stuff like orange carpet.
                    Yes, but I wouldn't vote for either of them. But do you think that one liberal would decide not to vote for Hillary because of these revelations?

Comment

Your source characterizes the donation as an offer, not a demand.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                        The Clinton Foundation is a charity itself.
                        Did you type that with a straight face?
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Did you type that with a straight face?
                          You can check out the annual and financial reports for yourself.
                          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Yeah, even charitynavigator.com dropped them because, and I quote "We have determined that this charity's atypical business model cannot be accurately captured in our current rating methodology."

(and you're trusting the Clinton's own website for this information )
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Yeah, even charitynavigator.com dropped them because, and I quote "We have determined that this charity's atypical business model cannot be accurately captured in our current rating methodology."

(and you're trusting the Clinton's own website for this information )
                              They didn't "drop them" but rather added them onto their watch list of suspect charities. Of course that automatically qualifies CN as being charter members of the vast right wing conspiracy

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment