Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Vaccinations imposed by law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    This is a complete side issue but can you tell me what some of these "non-important vaccinations" are? I do not have any point to make, I just do not know what they might be.
    Mountain Man raised some possibilities earlier: mumps, measles, and chickenpox.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      Mountain Man raised some possibilities earlier: mumps, measles, and chickenpox.
      Measles weakens the immune system for years, mumps can make it so a boy will never be a father, and chicken pox leads to shingles(ouch).
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        Measles weakens the immune system for years, mumps can make it so a boy will never be a father, and chicken pox leads to shingles(ouch).
        Which is where the sliding scale of 'importance' is so very useful for those who demand compulsory vaccination.

Also, you can't merely talk about mere possibilities, but specific rates, so as to facilitate discussion if the societal benefit is worth the freedom lost.

Comment

Someone has conceded that herd immunity does not work against contagious diseases, so to have a scenario to argue for or against herd immunity, we need to additionally assume that the scenario concerns only a disease that is contagious.

The Wikipedia article
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/herd_immunity
          claims that if a sufficiently large part of the world is vaccinated for a certain disease, then in time that will be eradicated, as smallpox was. But I understood that quarantines were imposed in the last stage of smallpox in the wild?
          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
            Darwin at work.
            I'm a libertarian and do wear seatbelts. To be sure, a libertarian may choose a car without seatbelts instead of another car that has them. That would be because he judges that the money he saves with that choice is sufficient justification, even though he realizes that an accident may cause injury or death that seatbelts would otherwise prevent. Perhaps he considers himself to be a careful and skilled driver who maintains his vehicle in good mechanical condition.
            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Unfortunately he professes to being a devout Christian and uses that to push his crap on shows like the 700 Club
              Please be specific, unless you consider all of his advice given out on TV or the Internet to be crap (if that is so, please say so). Hey, nice job of poisoning the well.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                Someone has conceded that herd immunity does not work against contagious diseases, so to have a scenario to argue for or against herd immunity, we need to additionally assume that the scenario concerns only a disease that is contagious.

The Wikipedia article
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/herd_immunity
                claims that if a sufficiently large part of the world is vaccinated for a certain disease, then in time that will be eradicated, as smallpox was. But I understood that quarantines were imposed in the last stage of smallpox in the wild?
                This is not a coherent thought and cannot be parsed.

Herd immunity only involves contagious diseases. Non-contagious diseases (e.g., diabetes) are not part of a herd immunity discussion.
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I'm a libertarian and do wear seatbelts. To be sure, a libertarian may choose a car without seatbelts instead of another car that has them. That would be because he judges that the money he saves with that choice is sufficient justification, even though he realizes that an accident may cause injury or death that seatbelts would otherwise prevent. Perhaps he considers himself to be a careful and skilled driver who maintains his vehicle in good mechanical condition.
                  If he did away with seatbelts to save money? It would be proof that he's an idiot.

I wouldn't do business with that guy, or trust him to do a cost-benefit analysis, or a critical self-estimation of his own performance. I wouldn't even trust him to do a cost analysis period, as its a custom build to get a car without them, or it means that he's driving around an old wreck as an everyday car rather than a novelty car, which indicates lack of success, or it indicates a kind of crank-like in your face attitude which means he's likely a jerk, and again not worth working with.
                  Last edited by Leonhard; 05-29-2015, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Please be specific, unless you consider all of his advice given out on TV or the Internet to be crap (if that is so, please say so). Hey, nice job of poisoning the well.
                    This was pretty specific. It was aimed at Stengler so it can hardly be considered poisoning of the well.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I'm a libertarian and do wear seatbelts.
                      It was a joke.

Comment

MMR polio and trap are considered vital. As is hep b. In important would be like gardasil Or rotavirus.
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          This is not a coherent thought and cannot be parsed.

Herd immunity only involves contagious diseases. Non-contagious diseases (e.g., diabetes) are not part of a herd immunity discussion.
                          You're right, I meant to write the opposite of what I posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                            MMR polio and trap are considered vital. As is hep b. In important would be like gardasil Or rotavirus.
                            "Trap"? Anyway, I think your post is about vaccines of certain types?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              This was pretty specific. It was aimed at Stengler so it can hardly be considered poisoning of the well.
                              No, I meant Stengler's recommendations or advice. Does rogue think that all of these is bad? Or only some of them? If so, which?

Comment

Nothing so far said about the morality of legally forcing someone who doesn't believe in vaccines to allow his family's vaccinations.

Comment