Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ireland recovering from Theocracy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    What's the deal with referring to God as Bible-God?
    Expediency.
    I got tired of atheists/agnostics who say "which god" when they know who we're talking about.
    To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      We do not seem to have made any progress at all in recorded history. The world today is at least as messed up as it was at any time in the past. How do you imagine this"golden age" might come about?
      Maybe the world is just a little less messed up now that Sepp Blatter is to resign the FIFA presidency. The golden age will come about as we learn from our many and various errors. Our task requires an accurate memory, for one thing.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        As opposed to the massive amount of harm that’s been done historically by the church.
        Which pales to the massive harm done by progressivism, communism etc as above.

There’s no “plain existence of God” as evidenced by the enormous number and great variety of religions that claim to know him...not to mention the massive divisions within the great religions themselves; Catholic vs Protestant, Sunnis vs Shier, Hindu's and its competing sects etc.
        They all recognise that something greater than themselves exist.

Totalitarian Communism and Fascism were short-lived phenomena compared to the totalitarianism of the great religions dating back to Moses…that great perpetrator of crimes against humanity.
        I agree that progressivism has been too short lived to every outweigh all the good done by the JudeoChristian religion - but time aside progressivism has been in most aspects most destructive.

If you want examples of the benefits of progressive social reform you need look no further than the nations topping the UN Human Development Index…as a general rule they are the least religious ones:
        Nah, it's the once religious and wealthy countries who can afford to succumb to temptation and head for full-on progressivism without collapsing quickly.

I’ve seen nothing that would convince me otherwise, as one would expect having been raised by non-religious parents in a secular country where religion has little impact.
        Right, we agree you're terribly ignorant.

Unconvincing and poorly attested! There’s no good reason to believe in post mortem existence.
        Well, that's your desperate hope, isn't it? If there is you might just be called on to account for all your sins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
          Which pales to the massive harm done by progressivism, communism etc as above.
          Nonsense! Communism and Fascism survived for mere decades whereas Christianity and Islam et al have burdened the world for centuries. And still do in many places.

They all recognise that something greater than themselves exist.
          They think they do, but they have no substantive evidence to support their beliefs, which is the point.

I agree that progressivism has been too short lived to every outweigh all the good done by the JudeoChristian religion - but time aside progressivism has been in most aspects most destructive.
          What good? The genocides of Moses, The Inquisitions, the Crusades, The Conquistadores’ Christianization of Mexico and Peru to name but a few of the choice fruits of Judeo/Christianity?

Nah, it's the once religious and wealthy countries who can afford to succumb to temptation and head for full-on progressivism without collapsing quickly.
          What about the currently religious and wealthy country of the USA which only ranks 28th on the Inequality-adjusted Human Development Index and boasts the highest incarceration rates in the world along with enormous wealth inequity and excessively high rates of violence.

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/c...r_nations.html

Right, we agree you're terribly ignorant.
          You mean terribly fortunate to have escaped the inculcation and acculturation of religious dogma (in its many and varied forms) that the USA is burdened with, compared to the enlightened secular values of a nation like Australia, where I was raised, and which ranks second on the HDI after atheist Norway.

Well, that's your desperate hope, isn't it? If there is you might just be called on to account for all your sins.
          Nothing “desperate” about it! There’s simply no credible evidence to support such nonsense. It belongs to a former more gullible era when miracles and magic were accepted as commonplace and still are in primitive nations like in much of Africa...and even in many parts of the USA.

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
          my goodness, you quote me , and then ask me for the answer you just quoted me giving.

...I know Bible-God blinds people but this is ridiculous
          I didn’t quote you, I merely agreed that with you when you said: “He ain't gonna believe that”, i.e. the resurrection. And you were correct. I “aint”. Not for any scriptural reasons, but because there’s no credible evidence of post mortem life.

What I queried was why you would give credence to scripture, which you quoted to support your argument, when there's no good evidence of its veracity. So why?
          Last edited by Tassman; 06-03-2015, 12:46 AM.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Nonsense! Communism and Fascism survived for mere decades whereas Christianity and Islam et al have burdened the world for centuries. And still do in many places.
            See above: "I agree that progressivism has been too short lived to every outweigh all the good done by the JudeoChristian religion - but time aside progressivism has been in most aspects most destructive"

They think they do, but they have no substantive evidence to support their beliefs, which is the point.
            Ah, that's what you claim.

What good? The genocides of Moses, The Inquisitions, the Crusades, The Conquistadores’ Christianization of Mexico and Peru to name but a few of the choice fruits of Judeo/Christianity?
            The ones that immediately come to mind are the creation of universities, introduction of the practice of charity and care for people not in one's in-group, as well as positive valuations of female children. You might want to be more cautious; your historical ignorance is showing.

What about the currently religious and wealthy country of the USA which only ranks 28th on the Inequality-adjusted Human Development Index and boasts the highest incarceration rates in the world along with enormous wealth inequity and excessively high rates of violence.
            The US is hardly religious anymore. Most of the 'Christians' are cultural Christians; akin (but lesser in degree) to how many Scandinavians would claim to be 'Christians' but at most go to church twice a year.

You mean terribly fortunate to have escaped the inculcation and acculturation of religious dogma (in its many and varied forms) that the USA is burdened with, compared to the enlightened secular values of a nation like Australia, where I was raised, and which ranks second on the HDI after atheist Norway.
            HDI is a measure of the socially efficient use of wealth rather than a measure of effective ideology, as demonstrated by the mass progressivism endemic amongst the top nations.

Nothing “desperate” about it! There’s simply no credible evidence to support such nonsense. It belongs to a former more gullible era when miracles and magic were accepted as commonplace and still are in primitive nations like in much of Africa...and even in many parts of the USA.
            Nah, you're just desperate to rule out any possible existence and action of the non-material so to ignorantly live a blissful life. It won't work; apart from the source of all good and life you cannot flourish.

Comment

I didn’t quote you, I merely agreed that with you when you said: “He ain't gonna believe that”, i.e. the resurrection. And you were correct. I “aint”. Not for any scriptural reasons, but because there’s no credible evidence of post mortem life.

What I queried was why you would give credence to scripture, which you quoted to support your argument, when there's no good evidence of its veracity. So why?
              T, you 'replied with quote' and the quote of mine (post 250) included the answer MATTHEW 16:17

and THAT is the good evidence I needed.

...........ok............

like Paprika and others, I also cited the resurrection account,
              ...and I pointed out how the eyewitnesses who were actually there refused to recant, even on pain of death because , once you have had an authentic God-encounter and you KNOW you are going straight to heaven to live forever and ever and ever, THEN WHAT can scare you?

AND, I thought I was so clever for having deduced this historical account,
              ...I was a regular Sherlock Holmes, saying, "its all elementary my dear Watson, I have deduced that if the eyewitnesses were lying, and really did not know if Jesus rose from the dead and therefore had the power to save them for and eternal immortal life, they would not continue the lie if threatened with their lives by the Sanhedrin, oh my, aren't I the clever one...."

BUT that's all BS, me BSing myself.

I deduced NOTHING.

The only reason I or any other Christian believes this reasonable explanation of events,

IS BECAUSE GOD ALLOWS IT.

....and if God didn't allow it, I would be just like Tassman and the other atheist,
              (there but for the Grace of God go I)
              Last edited by jordanriver; 06-03-2015, 08:19 AM.
              To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

See above: "I agree that progressivism has been too short lived to every outweigh all the good done by the JudeoChristian religion - but time aside progressivism has been in most aspects most destructive"
                You're erroneously equating "progressivism" with totalitarianism. All totalitarian ideologies are destructive, whether political or religious...and religion is by definition totalitarian, not democratic.

That said, the more progressive nations are demonstrably better off in every way than those mired in traditional religious values.

E.g. Scientific progress, quite apart from providing enormous technological advances, has resulted in extended life-spans and improved general health with medicines, antibiotics, medical procedures, medical knowledge, and orthopaedic as well as surgical techniques. We no longer view plagues as divine retribution or mental illness as demon-possession, as religion once claimed, but as treatable diseases.

And social progress has resulted in the emancipation of women from the status of chattels, the abolition of slavery and equal rights for blacks and homosexuals…the last being a work in progress.

Ah, that's what you claim.
                They are the ones making the claim “that something greater than themselves exists" i.e. a deity, thus the burden of proof rests with them. I see no credible evidence for such an assertion.

The ones that immediately come to mind are the creation of universities, introduction of the practice of charity and care for people not in one's in-group, as well as positive valuations of female children. You might want to be more cautious; your historical ignorance is showing.
                Conversely, you have the genocides of Moses, The Inquisitions, the Crusades, the Thirty Years War between Protestants and Catholics plus the murderous Christian colonisations of the Americas, Australia et al...to name but a few of the choice fruits of Judeo/Christianity.

As well Christianity hindered the progress of scientific knowledge for nearly 1,000 years (from roughly 300 to 1250 CE), i.e until The Renaissance, with virtually no significant advances in science during this period. It still does, e.g. the denial of Evolution and Natural Selection by many Christians.

The US is hardly religious anymore. Most of the 'Christians' are cultural Christians; akin (but lesser in degree) to how many Scandinavians would claim to be 'Christians' but at most go to church twice a year.
                That’s not for you to judge; the US has yet to elect an atheist president. According to Adherents.com well over 80% of US citizens claim to be Christian, with fewer than 10% claiming to be atheist, whereas the percentage of Christians is considerably lower in the more progressive countries and literally reversed in the progressive Scandinavian countries.

HDI is a measure of the socially efficient use of wealth rather than a measure of effective ideology, as demonstrated by the mass progressivism endemic amongst the top nations.
                Nonsense! The Human Development Index (HDI) is a composite statistic of life expectancy, education, and per capita income indicators, i.e. it is the measure of national well-being. It tends to be higher in the more socially progressive nations and lower in the more traditional religious nations, e.g. the USA among developed nations and much of Africa among the underdeveloped nations.

Nah, you're just desperate to rule out any possible existence and action of the non-material so to ignorantly live a blissful life. It won't work; apart from the source of all good and life you cannot flourish.
                Bald assertion! You have yet to show that such a “source” exists. There’s no substantive evidence of such an entity.

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post

<snipped>

The only reason I or any other Christian believes this reasonable explanation of events,

IS BECAUSE GOD ALLOWS IT.
                So you believe I don't.

....and if God didn't allow it, I would be just like Tassman and the other atheist,
                (there but for the Grace of God go I)
                You should be so lucky!
                Last edited by Tassman; 06-04-2015, 12:35 AM.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

You're erroneously equating "progressivism" with totalitarianism.
                  Progressivism leads inexorably to totalitarianism

All totalitarian ideologies are destructive, whether political or religious...and religion is by definition totalitarian, not democratic.
                  Not quite. Some forms of Buddhism and New Age are so intrinsically fluffy.

That said, the more progressive nations are demonstrably better off in every way than those mired in traditional religious values.
                  Correlation is not causation; the more progressive nations have also the greatest wealth.

E.g. Scientific progress, quite apart from providing enormous technological advances, has resulted in extended life-spans and improved general health with medicines, antibiotics, medical procedures, medical knowledge, and orthopaedic as well as surgical techniques. We no longer view plagues as divine retribution or mental illness as demon-possession, as religion once claimed, but as treatable diseases.
                  I'm not sure how this is relevant at all.

And social progress has resulted in the emancipation of women from the status of chattels, the abolition of slavery and equal rights for blacks and homosexuals…the last being a work in progress.
                  Ditto.

They are the ones making the claim “that something greater than themselves exists" i.e. a deity, thus the burden of proof rests with them. I see no credible evidence for such an assertion.
                  Your worldview is also founded on the opposite claim, so burden of proof rests on both sides.

Conversely, you have the genocides of Moses, The Inquisitions, the Crusades, the Thirty Years War between Protestants and Catholics plus the murderous Christian colonisations of the Americas, Australia et al...to name but a few of the choice fruits of Judeo/Christianity.
                  No one denies that your father and his children have worked amongst the Christians to do grave evil; the point is that the Church has accomplished overwhelmingly more good.

As well Christianity hindered the progress of scientific knowledge for nearly 1,000 years (from roughly 300 to 1250 CE), i.e until The Renaissance, with virtually no significant advances in science during this period. It still does, e.g. the denial of Evolution and Natural Selection by many Christians.
                  [/QUOTE]
                  Nah, Christianity and Christians were instrumental in the beginning of the modern scientific endeavour.

That’s not for you to judge; the US has yet to elect an atheist president. According to Adherents.com well over 80% of US citizens claim to be Christian, with fewer than 10% claiming to be atheist, whereas the percentage of Christians is considerably lower in the more progressive countries and literally reversed in the progressive Scandinavian countries.
                  I judge and will judge. And I'll take Norway as an example; they're basically 'cultural christians':
                  Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Norway

Religion in Norway is mostly Evangelical Lutheran, with 76.1% of the population officially belonging to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Norway in 2013.

© Copyright Original Source

Nonsense! The Human Development Index (HDI) is a composite statistic of life expectancy, education, and per capita income indicators, i.e. it is the measure of national well-being. It tends to be higher in the more socially progressive nations and lower in the more traditional religious nations, e.g. the USA among developed nations and much of Africa among the underdeveloped nations.
                  Right, so it's a measure of the wealth used for the social good instead of the goodness of the ideologies implemented.

Bald assertion! You have yet to show that such a “source” exists. There’s no substantive evidence of such an entity.
                  I certainly don't mind exchanging assertions for assertions.

Comment

Progressivism leads inexorably to totalitarianism
                    So you think the Scandinavian countries are heading "inexorably to totalitarianism". Evidence please! Christianity is essentially totalitarian though because it demands complete obedience to the laws of God. There are those who want it enforced by law:

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/r10.html

Not quite. Some forms of Buddhism and New Age are so intrinsically fluffy.
                    Buddhism is technically not a religion and neither is New Age woo.

Correlation is not causation; the more progressive nations have also the greatest wealth.
                    Social equality and justice and a universal high education level is the clue, not wealth per se. The USA has the greatest wealth of all and yet it remains mired in religionism and leads the developed world in prison incarcerations, gun violence and gross wealth inequity. So much for the transforming influence of Christianity!

I'm not sure how this is relevant at all.
                    It’s relevant in that scientific knowledge can result in the sort of “progressivism”, in its broadest sense, that you seem to regard as destructive. In fact it bestows great technological advances and health benefits as described previously.

Ditto.
                    Progressivism, in the broadest meaning of the word applies to social progress. Far from being “destructive” as you would have it has achieved emancipation of women, the abolition of slavery and equal rights for blacks and homosexuals.

Your worldview is also founded on the opposite claim, so burden of proof rests on both sides.
                    Nope. I make no claim at all. I’m merely denying the unfounded assertion that “something greater than ourselves exists". If you want to assert this you must support it with evidence.

No one denies that your father and his children have worked amongst the Christians to do grave evil; the point is that the Church has accomplished overwhelmingly more good
                    My “father”? So I'm the "spawn of Satan" am I??

Nah, Christianity and Christians were instrumental in the beginning of the modern scientific endeavour.
                    Not so. "Our concept of science is an outgrowth of Christian theology" is no more true than "our concept of science is an outgrowth of pagan theology." Modern science grew up in a Christian context, but only by re-embracing ancient scientific values against the grain of the original Christian mindset. In turn, those ancient scientific values grew up in a pagan context. As with Christianity, that's not causality, it's just circumstance”.

http://richardcarrier.blogspot.com/2...istianity.html

I judge and will judge.
                    "Do not judge, or you too will be judged". Mat 7.

And I'll take Norway as an example; they're basically 'cultural christians':
                    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Norway

Religion in Norway is mostly Evangelical Lutheran, with 76.1% of the population officially belonging to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Norway in 2013.

© Copyright Original Source

In some Scandinavian countries one is automatically added to the membership of the national church at birth and one has to actually "sign out” to not be counted as Christian. But, in actuality all the Scandinavian countries, along with much of Europe, have extremely high rates of non-belief in God, (Norway at 72%).

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_atheist.html

And while they may be “cultural Christians" they nevertheless rank high in the Inequality adjusted HDI whereas the actual Christian USA only ranks 28th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

Right, so it's a measure of the wealth used for the social good instead of the goodness of the ideologies implemented.
                    The Human Development Index is much more than just a measure of wealth; it is the measure of national well-being and comprises life expectancy, general education, and per capita income indicators.

I certainly don't mind exchanging assertions for assertions.
                    If you assert that fairies exist then it is reasonable for me to demand evidence supporting such a claim. The burden of proof rests with you. It is not my burden to prove that fairies don’t exist. The same applies to gods…or in this instance your claim of the “source source of all good and life” existing.
                    Last edited by Tassman; 06-04-2015, 05:53 AM.

Comment

So you think the Scandinavian countries are heading "inexorably to totalitarianism". Evidence please!
                      Certainly. Progressivism tends to totalitarianism through the implementation of laws against speech determined undesirable.

Christianity is essentially totalitarian though because it demands complete obedience to the laws of God.
                      I don't have a problem with that in principle. You do have a problem with totalitarianism, yet progressivism leads inexorably to it - whether quickly like in communist states or more slowly in others.

You will, of course, explain the technical details.

Social equality and justice and a universal high education level is the clue, not wealth per se. The USA has the greatest wealth of all and yet it remains mired in religionism and leads the developed world in prison incarcerations, gun violence and gross wealth inequity. So much for the transforming influence of Christianity!
                      Note how I said "socially efficient use of wealth" earlier, so wealth plays a role (per capita income) but also social spending as you yourself note. Similarly how I noted the USA is hardly Christian any more. Now carry on.

It’s relevant in that scientific knowledge can result in the sort of “progressivism”, in its broadest sense, that you seem to regard as destructive.

Progressivism, in the broadest meaning of the word applies to social progress. Far from being “destructive” as you would have it has achieved emancipation of women, the abolition of slavery and equal rights for blacks and homosexuals.
                      Nah, you're just dishonestly conflating scientific progress with progressivism, which has been immensely destructive as I earlier demonstrated. But it's Tassman so big surprise!

Nope. I make no claim at all. I’m merely denying the unfounded assertion that “something greater than ourselves exists". If you want to assert this you must support it with evidence.
                      If you assert that fairies exist then it is reasonable for me to demand evidence supporting such a claim. The burden of proof rests with you. It is not my burden to prove that fairies don’t exist. The same applies to gods…or in this instance your claim of the “source source of all good and life” existing.
                      It's your burden to demonstrate your claims: eg that the Scriptures are fairy tales or that there is no substantial evidence for God.

Indeed. Took you long enough to catch it.

Not so. "Our concept of science is an outgrowth of Christian theology" is no more true than "our concept of science is an outgrowth of pagan theology." Modern science grew up in a Christian context, but only by re-embracing ancient scientific values against the grain of the original Christian mindset. In turn, those ancient scientific values grew up in a pagan context. As with Christianity, that's not causality, it's just circumstance”.
                      Ancient scientific values?

A spiritual man judges everything.

In some Scandinavian countries one is automatically added to the membership of the national church at birth and one has to actually "sign out” to not be counted as Christian. But, in actuality all the Scandinavian countries, along with much of Europe, have extremely high rates of non-belief in God, (Norway at 72%).
                      That is my point, that most Christians in USA are but 'Christians' in name only, just as in Scandinavia.

And while they may be “cultural Christians" they nevertheless rank high in the Inequality adjusted HDI whereas the actual Christian USA only ranks 28th.
                      As if that matters much when HDI is merely a measure of wealth in general and wealth spent for the social good, see above.

Comment

So you think the Scandinavian countries are heading "inexorably to totalitarianism". Evidence please! Christianity is essentially totalitarian though because it demands complete obedience to the laws of God. There are those who want it enforced by law:

It’s relevant in that scientific knowledge can result in the sort of “progressivism”, in its broadest sense, that you seem to regard as destructive. In fact it bestows great technological advances and health benefits as described previously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

The Human Development Index is much more than just a measure of wealth; it is the measure of national well-being and comprises life expectancy, general education, and per capita income indicators.

Tazzy Wazzy is still trying to use his long refuted claims about the HDI supports his absurd notions to prove atheism is better? It's interesting that the more atheist countries (IE Russia, many former Soviet block countries, China, Vietnam, etc) rank far lower on the HDI list than the more Christian ones do. Blowing a giant hole in Tazzy Wazzy's claim that atheism is the cause of this. Is Vietnam (according to what I could find, 80% of the population claims no religion) rank higher or lower than more Christian countries? There goes your claims up in smoke, but you should have known better since I already exposed your abuses of the HDI years ago (and that was the point you started claiming I have a serious mental disorder and started to 'ignore' me. Don't worry, I know you will not respond after having this very same argument sunk years and years ago, but don't worry. Others will read this and see your dishonest nature displayed before all.

Anyway, let me refute more of Tazzy Wazzy's idiotic claims:

"Social equality and justice and a universal high education level is the clue, not wealth per se. The USA has the greatest wealth of all and yet it remains mired in religionism and leads the developed world in prison incarcerations, gun violence and gross wealth inequity. So much for the transforming influence of Christianity!"

Equality according to whom? I know lots of social justice warriors try to make this claim, but who is the one that gets to decided what is 'wealth equality' and what isn't? This is something they never want to discuss. Gun violence is bad according to whom? See, what Tazzy Wazzy fails to report (because he hates Christians and Americans in general) is that the total violence across the west, has been dropping since the high rates of the early 90's, including in the US. Obviously, this would play against his claims where he tries to credit this to atheism, so he ignores it. As for prisons, what Tazzy also fails to report is that Americans are more likely to throw non violent offenders into prison than other countries are. Again though, Tazzy Wazzy always leaves out things that don't work in his case because he's as dishonest as they come.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged". Mat 7"

Funny how Tazzy Wazzy and his type never quote the second part, which says, "For you will be judged in the same measure that you judge others" because to smart people (AKA not Tazzy) know that Jesus isn't doing a blanket condemning against judging at all.

I know I've corrected you on many of these claims before, but you seem destined to just ignore where you've been corrected and just repeat your same tired mistakes because you don't care about integrity or honesty, but just care about your hatred of Christians and Americans and the facts be damned, if they disagree with your preconceived notions!
                        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 06-04-2015, 07:28 PM.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Certainly. Progressivism tends to totalitarianism through the implementation of laws against speech determined undesirable.
                          Ah so we've moved from “progressivism leads inexorably to totalitarianism" to “it tends to totalitarianism”. In practice it’s quite the reverse…including your bizarre link which is about protecting minorities. This is hardly totalitarianism; it’s the enforcement of equal rights for all…even those considered undesirable.

I don't have a problem with that in principle. You do have a problem with totalitarianism, yet progressivism leads inexorably to it - whether quickly like in communist states or more slowly in others.
                          The problem with giving complete obedience to your imaginary deity is that those who do so tend to regard it as their duty to enforce their beliefs via legislation upon those who think its all irrational nonsense. As per the Christian Reconstructionists: “The Bible is to be the governing text for all areas of life--such as government, education, law, and the arts…”

The same applies to Muslim extremists; all religions are essentially the same in principle: Conform or be punished.

You will, of course, explain the technical details
                          Buddhism is technically a philosophy, a way of life of life not a religion as such. However it has been corrupted over time by folk who like to have their gods and consequently many of the ancient Hindu gods have long been incorporated into a Buddhist pantheon. I'm sure you're aware that Buddhism originally derived from Hinduism. Similarly many pagan customs were incorporated into Christianity.

Note how I said "socially efficient use of wealth" earlier, so wealth plays a role (per capita income) but also social spending as you yourself note.
                          No. Unlike the Christian USA, it’s an ideological use of wealth rather than merely “a socially efficient” one. The wealth is utilized to ensure effective social safety nets, quality education for all and the inclusion of minority groups as social equals.

Similarly how I noted the USA is hardly Christian any more. Now carry on.
                          But you’re wrong. Statistically the USA ranks as a Christian nation with 80% plus citizens claiming to be Christian. Your personal opinion implying it is not “truly” Christian” (as per the “no true Scotsman” fallacy) is irrelevant. Conversely the Scandinavian nations et al are statistically not religious at all. End of story.

Nah, you're just dishonestly conflating scientific progress with progressivism, which has been immensely destructive as I earlier demonstrated.
                          You’ve “demonstrated” no such thing; you may think you have but you haven't. I’m not “conflating” scientific progress with progressivism, I’m equating scientific progress and knowledge, when used wisely, as per the developed nations under discussion; nothing dishonest about that.

But it's Tassman so big surprise!
                          So you’re reduced to personal denigration, a sure sign you’re on the defensive.

It's your burden to demonstrate your claims: eg that the Scriptures are fairy tales or that there is no substantial evidence for God.
                          Nonsense! The burden of proof always lies with the person making the positive claim. In this instance you’re making the positive assertion of the existence of a “source of all good and life”. Evidence please!

Indeed. Took you long enough to catch it.
                          Right! And mental illness is caused by demons. And the Black Death was the result of God’s wrath because of too many people sinning. Gotcha!

Ancient scientific values?
                          Yes. From around 400 BC to 300 AD, i.e. during the pagan era and before Christianity was entrenched, there were extraordinary scientific and philosophical advances made via the likes of Gallen, Ptolemy, Aristarchus, Socrates, Aristotle and Plato. Do you give credit to the pagan gods for these advances in the same way that you want to credit the Christian God for such advances?

A spiritual man judges everything.
                          And when “spiritual men” disagree then religious wars ensue. You are a living paradigm of the evils of religion, Paprika.

That is my point, that most Christians in USA are but 'Christians' in name only, just as in Scandinavia.
                          The point is invalid. Around 80% of US citizens actively state and probably believe themselves to be practising Christians, whereas in places like Norway, Sweden and Denmark approx 80% of the citizens actively state the opposite, i.e. to be atheist or agnostic.

As if that matters much when HDI is merely a measure of wealth in general and wealth spent for the social good, see above.
                          Well it does matter because what you’re blithely hand-waving away is that the wealth in the high ranking low-religion HDI countries is specifically targeted to promoting national well-being, social justice and equality in terms of education, human rights and per capita income.

This is in stark contrast to the wealthy Christian nation of the US with its high rates of violence, incarcerations, comparatively poor social welfare programs and gross wealth inequity.

http://www.the-crises.com/wealth-ine...y-in-the-us-1/

PS: Note the cartoon at the bottom of the link.
                          Last edited by Tassman; 06-05-2015, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Ah so we've moved from “progressivism leads inexorably to totalitarianism" to “it tends to totalitarianism”.
                            I maintain both statements; I just don't like to repeat myself word for word and trust that the reader still remembers what was said before.

In practice it’s quite the reverse…including your bizarre link which is about protecting minorities.
                            Nah, it shuts down criticism of minorities and has nothing to do with 'protecting' minorities from violence or such stuff.

The problem with giving complete obedience to your imaginary deity is that those who do so tend to regard it as their duty to enforce their beliefs via legislation upon those who think its all irrational nonsense.
                            I don't think I've come across a single Christian here on TWeb who actually believes this.

The same applies to Muslim extremists; all religions are essentially the same in principle: Conform or be punished.

Buddhism is technically a philosophy, a way of life of life not a religion as such. However it has been corrupted over time by folk who like to have their gods and consequently many of the ancient Hindu gods have long been incorporated into a Buddhist pantheon.
                            So we're not in disagreement.

No. Unlike the Christian USA, it’s an ideological use of wealth rather than merely “a socially efficient” one. The wealth is utilized to ensure effective social safety nets, quality education for all
                            The common denominator is socially efficient use of wealth, since many ideologies would promote effective social safety nets and quality education for all,.

But you’re wrong. Statistically the USA ranks as a Christian nation with 80% plus citizens claiming to be Christian. Your personal opinion implying it is not “truly” Christian” (as per the “no true Scotsman” fallacy) is irrelevant. Conversely the Scandinavian nations et al are statistically not religious at all. End of story.
                            My judgment is quite relevant since merely claiming to be 'Christian' is hardly a measure of true Christian religiosity.

You’ve “demonstrated” no such thing; you may think you have but you haven't.
                            When you're able to refute my arguments, I'll acknowledge that. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

I’m not “conflating” scientific progress with progressivism, I’m equating scientific progress and knowledge, when used wisely, as per the developed nations under discussion; nothing dishonest about that.
                            Stop lying. You were equivocating scientific progress with progressiveness in a pathetic attempt to disqualify my criticism of the latter.

So you’re reduced to personal denigration, a sure sign you’re on the defensive.
                            No, it's a sign of disdain.

Nonsense! The burden of proof always lies with the person making the positive claim. In this instance you’re making the positive assertion of the existence of a “source of all good and life”. Evidence please!
                            You were making positive claims too. Do you really want to play the "let's pretend this is actually a dialectical conversation rather than a rhetorical one" game?

Right! And mental illness is caused by demons.
                            Some are.
                            And the Black Death was the result of God’s wrath because of too many people sinning. Gotcha!
                            Possibly, though I think the cause is more likely Satan.

Yes. From around 400 BC to 300 AD, i.e. during the pagan era and before Christianity was entrenched, there were extraordinary scientific and philosophical advances made via the likes of Gallen, Ptolemy, Aristarchus, Socrates, Aristotle and Plato. Do you give credit to the pagan gods for these advances in the same way that you want to credit the Christian God for such advances?
                            I'm not sure what philosophy has to do with it, and you have a looong way to go from 'there were great ancient scientists' to 'there existed "ancient scientific values" to 'the modern science revolution was mainly caused by reestablishment of "ancient scientific values".

And when “spiritual men” disagree then religious wars ensue. You are a living paradigm of the evils of religion, Paprika.
                            You're too kind: I've hardly any wars to my credit yet. Do check back later.

The point is invalid. Around 80% of US citizens actively state and probably believe themselves to be practising Christians, whereas in places like Norway, Sweden and Denmark approx 80% of the citizens actively state the opposite, i.e. to be atheist or agnostic.
                            See above as to how the label of 'Christian' whether by the state or by oneself is not necessarily an accurate measure of religiosity.

Well it does matter because what you’re blithely hand-waving away is that the wealth in the high ranking low-religion HDI countries is specifically targeted to promoting national well-being, social justice and equality in terms of education, human rights and per capita income.
                            So as I said: HDI is a measure socially efficient expenditure of wealth, and wealth in general. I'm glad we're in agreement.

This is in stark contrast to the wealthy Christian nation of the US with its high rates of violence, incarcerations, comparatively poor social welfare programs and gross wealth inequity.
                            Things are hardly ceteris paribus because the Scandinavian countries don't have as many blacks - and the blacks as a group contribute greatly (and disproportionately) to violence, incarcerations etc.

http://www.the-crises.com/wealth-ine...y-in-the-us-1/

PS: Note the cartoon at the bottom of the link.
                            What does inequality have to do with HDI?

Comment

I maintain both statements; I just don't like to repeat myself word for word and trust that the reader still remembers what was said before.
                              Well, there is a significant difference of emphasis between: “inexorably leads to totalitarianism" and “tends to lead to totalitarianism".

Nah, it shuts down criticism of minorities and has nothing to do with 'protecting' minorities from violence or such stuff.
                              It follows that when hate speech against minorities is prohibited, violence against these minorities will decrease.

I don't think I've come across a single Christian here on TWeb who actually believes this.
                              Well the actions of many US Christians say otherwise as various Supreme Court cases attest over the years…including the current kerfuffle over gay marriage.

You sneer but at bottom all religions are potentially dangerous given that by definition “God’s will” must always be obeyed. Is there really much difference between the genocides of Moses, the witch hunts of Salem and murders in God’s name by ISIS?

So we're not in disagreement.
                              In actuality no, but technically yes.

The common denominator is socially efficient use of wealth, since many ideologies would promote effective social safety nets and quality education for all,.
                              It’s a matter of social ideology rather than the efficient use of wealth...although the latter is important. Some nations like the Christian USA actively oppose the equitable distribution and government channelling of wealth into such things as high quality universal education and effective universal health care…the latter is still being debated in the USA…whereas for many other countries these things are a priority.

My judgment is quite relevant since merely claiming to be 'Christian' is hardly a measure of true Christian religiosity.
                              Again, the “no true Scotsman” fallacy! Your “judgement” is nothing more than your unevidenced personal opinion.

When you're able to refute my arguments, I'll acknowledge that. But I'm not going to hold my breath.
                              Already refuted! Your claim that progressivism is destructive to a society is demonstrably untrue. The more progressive societies tend to be the most successful in terms of national well-being as measured by the HDI.

Stop lying. You were equivocating scientific progress with progressiveness in a pathetic attempt to disqualify my criticism of the latter.
                              I’m not “equivocating” anything…are you sure you’re using the right word? I was equating scientific progress and knowledge, when used wisely, with progressiveness…as per the developed nations under discussion.

No, it's a sign of disdain.
                              Ah, I understand…a defence mechanism.

You were making positive claims too. Do you really want to play the "let's pretend this is actually a dialectical conversation rather than a rhetorical one" game?
                              Nonsense! Denying the claim of others that God, fairies, unicorns, little green men from Mars etc exist is not making a positive claim, it is the mere non-acceptance of another’s positive claim. You’re the one making the assertion of the existence of a “source of all good and life”. So, evidence please!

Some are.
                              So sometimes mental illness is caused by demons...why would you think this?

Possibly, though I think the cause is more likely Satan.
                              Seriously! And not the rats; oh I know Satan made the rats do it.

http://plague.emedtv.com/bubonic-pla...ic-plague.html

Clearly science and religion are incompatible: “the toolkit of science, based on reason and empirical study, is reliable, while that of religion—including faith, dogma, and revelation—leads to incorrect, untestable, or conflicting conclusions.”- Jerry Coyne. Like attributing mental illness and the bubonic plagues to demons.

I'm not sure what philosophy has to do with it, and you have a looong way to go from 'there were great ancient scientists' to 'there existed "ancient scientific values" to 'the modern science revolution was mainly caused by reestablishment of "ancient scientific values".
                              Modern science picked up at the Renaissance where the pagan scientists had left of after a gap of nearly a thousand years during which there had been virtually zero significant advances in science

You're too kind: I've hardly any wars to my credit yet. Do check back later.
                              You’re being modest; religion has fought wars in your name.

See above as to how the label of 'Christian' whether by the state or by oneself is not necessarily an accurate measure of religiosity
                              We can only go by what people claim on their own behalf and around 80% of US citizens overtly state (and probably believe) that they are practising Christians. Whereas in places like Norway, Sweden and Denmark approx 80% of the citizens overtly state that they are atheist or agnostic. See the difference?

So as I said: HDI is a measure socially efficient expenditure of wealth, and wealth in general. I'm glad we're in agreement.
                              No, the HDI is a measure of how and where the national wealth is distributed; ultimately it’s based upon ideology.

Things are hardly ceteris paribus because the Scandinavian countries don't have as many blacks - and the blacks as a group contribute greatly (and disproportionately) to violence, incarcerations etc.
                              When a nation has a very large disadvantaged underclass like the USA, where the blacks comprises a disproportionately large part, there will be violence and unrest. The race is less significant than is the social marginalization and ghettoisation of certain sections of society.

What does inequality have to do with HDI?
                              A great deal. The Inequality Adjusted Human Development Index measures the outcome of national wealth distribution…the more equitable the funding of education, health and social safety nets etc. the higher the HDI ranking will be. Hence the importance if the Inequality Adjusted HDI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y-adjusted_HDI
                              Last edited by Tassman; 06-06-2015, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Well, there is a significant difference of emphasis between: “inexorably leads to totalitarianism" and “tends to lead to totalitarianism".
                                But I assure you they don't contradict.

It follows that when hate speech against minorities is prohibited, violence against these minorities will decrease.
                                Nah, it's just the usual progressive shutting down of criticism of groups and policies which is labelled as 'hate speech'.

Well the actions of many US Christians say otherwise as various Supreme Court cases attest over the years…including the current kerfuffle over gay marriage.
                                Nonsense, there's hardly any Christians trying to institute Mosaic Law, unlike Muslims with Sharia Law.

You sneer but at bottom all religions are potentially dangerous given that by definition “God’s will” must always be obeyed. Is there really much difference between the genocides of Moses, the witch hunts of Salem and murders in God’s name by ISIS?
                                Man is potentially dangerous, whether he is claiming to follow the will of a god or just acting according with ideology (Hitler, Mao, etc.)

In actuality no, but technically yes.
                                Both, actually.

It’s a matter of social ideology rather than the efficient use of wealth...although the latter is important. Some nations like the Christian USA actively oppose the equitable distribution and government channelling of wealth into such things as high quality universal education and effective universal health care…the latter is still being debated in the USA…whereas for many other countries these things are a priority.
                                The US is hardly Christian, and I don't recall conservatives opposing genuine education reform more than 'liberals' , and the opposition to Obamacare is because it sucks.

Again, the “no true Scotsman” fallacy! Your “judgement” is nothing more than your unevidenced personal opinion.
                                You're a moron. If a group of faithful Muslims are labelled (by themselves or others) as Christians, does that make them Christians? Of course not, so that's my point - there needs to be a more stringent criterion than the label.

Already refuted! Your claim that progressivism is destructive to a society is demonstrably untrue. The more progressive societies tend to be the most successful in terms of national well-being as measured by the HDI.
                                My post goes unaddressed, and you ignore the very important factor of wealth: national well-being is unquestionably dependent on the wealth of the nation as a whole. Destructive and navel-gazing progressivism can hope to flourish precisely in a society where other factors ameliorate its destructiveness.

I’m not “equivocating” anything…are you sure you’re using the right word? I was equating scientific progress and knowledge, when used wisely, with progressiveness…as per the developed nations under discussion.
                                And that was not the 'progressiveness' I was criticising, so buzz off.

Ah, I understand…a defence mechanism.
                                Nah, it's merely expressing through alternative means (as tone is not easily conveyed) that you're an idiot, amongst other things.

Nonsense! Denying the claim of others that God, fairies, unicorns, little green men from Mars etc exist is not making a positive claim, it is the mere non-acceptance of another’s positive claim. You’re the one making the assertion of the existence of a “source of all good and life”. So, evidence please!

You made other positive claims, moron.

So sometimes mental illness is caused by demons...why would you think this?
                                The evil one works to kill and destroy?

Seriously! And not the rats; oh I know Satan made the rats do it.
                                Yersinia pestis, my good fellow.

Clearly science and religion are incompatible: “the toolkit of science, based on reason and empirical study, is reliable, while that of religion—including faith, dogma, and revelation—leads to incorrect, untestable, or conflicting conclusions.”- Jerry Coyne. Like attributing mental illness and the bubonic plagues to demons.

Which explains why some of the foremost scientists were so religious - Newton wrote a tome on theology, for example.

Modern science picked up at the Renaissance where the pagan scientists had left of after a gap of nearly a thousand years during which there had been virtually zero significant advances in science
                                Advances in science require a great deal of wealth and time invested; just coincidentally the Renaissance was a period of great wealth and patronage for intelligent men.

You’re being modest; religion has fought wars in your name.
                                You're too kind, but and I'm not God, and the wars were fought in God's name.

We can only go by what people claim on their own behalf and around 80% of US citizens overtly state (and probably believe) that they are practising Christians. Whereas in places like Norway, Sweden and Denmark approx 80% of the citizens overtly state that they are atheist or agnostic. See the difference?
                                See above.

No, the HDI is a measure of how and where the national wealth is distributed; ultimately it’s based upon ideology.
                                It's also related to the wealth the nation possesses; if there's little wealth to be distributed then the HDI will suck even though the proposed distribution may be good. Again, see above.

When a nation has a very large disadvantaged underclass like the USA, where the blacks comprises a disproportionately large part, there will be violence and unrest. The race is less significant than is the social marginalization and ghettoisation of certain sections of society.
                                I'm glad you agree the US is much more socioeconomically heterogeneous compared to the Nordic countries, so a direct comparison to compare ideology is hardly holding all relevant factors ceteris paribus. (By the way, the ghettoisation is linked to race.)

A great deal. The Inequality Adjusted Human Development Index measures the outcome of national wealth distribution…the more equitable the funding of education, health and social safety nets etc. the higher the HDI ranking will be. Hence the importance if the Inequality Adjusted HDI.
                                That's IHDI.

Comment