Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CVS to stop cigarette sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CVS to stop cigarette sales

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/05/health/cvs-cigarettes/

"Ending the sale of cigarettes and tobacco products at CVS/pharmacy is the right thing for us to do for our customers and our company to help people on their path to better health," Larry J. Merlo, president and CEO of CVS Caremark, said in a statement. "Put simply, the sale of tobacco products is inconsistent with our purpose."
    Stopping cigarette sales comes at a price. CVS Caremark estimates it will take an annual loss of $2 billion from tobacco shoppers -- $1.5 billion in tobacco sales and the rest from other products tobacco shoppers purchase while in the store.

<snip>

In 2012, CVS Caremark reported $123.1 billion in revenues, a 15% jump from $107.1 billion the previous year.
    So less than 2% drop in revenue. I say good for them.
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

I always did find it strange that you could walk right in and find copious amounts of cigarettes, but you had to walk all the way into the back for the actual medicine.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Hopefully other stores will follow their example.
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Is CVS a private owned organization? It is up to them what they choose to sell. Of course liberals would not want to extend that concept beyond this individual case.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

yeah!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Doesn't CVS sell candy and soda? Aren't they both unhealthy as well? Why not ban them?
            Don't get me wrong, I think it's great what CVS is intent on doing but I'm just wondering how to respond when questions like the above get thrown at me/us.

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
              Doesn't CVS sell candy and soda? Aren't they both unhealthy as well? Why not ban them?
              Don't get me wrong, I think it's great what CVS is intent on doing but I'm just wondering how to respond when questions like the above get thrown at me/us.
              Just about anything in excess is damaging to health.

Comment

I'm not aware of a "moderate" intake level for tobacco. Sugars and alcohol, yes; tobacco, no. Very easy to go past that moderate intake on sugar and alcohol, but it is possible.
                No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Tobacco is a whole ton more addictive than candy.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

What amazes me is when liberals are so opposed to smoking cigarettes, but smoking marijuana is OK.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2014/02/...-have-tripled/

Are there breathalyzer tests for marijuana as there are for alcohol?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        Is CVS a private owned organization? It is up to them what they choose to sell. Of course liberals would not want to extend that concept beyond this individual case.
                        Well, yeah. Just imagine the hue and cry if they quit selling contraceptives.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
                          http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2014/02/...-have-tripled/

Are there breathalyzer tests for marijuana as there are for alcohol?
                          I was a licensed breathalyzer operator, but that was many years ago. At THAT time, marijuana detection required a blood test.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Well, yeah. Just imagine the hue and cry if they quit selling contraceptives.
                            Doesn't the Constitution say something about access to birth control being a fundamental right? It's gotta be in there somewhere....
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              Doesn't the Constitution say something about access to birth control being a fundamental right? It's gotta be in there somewhere....
                              Just before the amendment guaranteeing the right to a free cell phone.

Comment