Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Positive DNA Sample from Pizza?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positive DNA Sample from Pizza?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/21/us/dc-...-money-motive/

I'm perplexed about the claim of DNA evidence so soon after the crime, since it's my understanding Iit takes several weeks to develop reliable DNA profiles. If this is accurate information, the technology must have improved tremendously. ..would it be enough to hold up in court?

Can anyone tell me if they could in fact develop reliable profiles in just a few days?
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

I think it only takes a day or two to get DNA results. Most of the delay is the backlog at the lab doing the testing.

Unless this is CSI, then they just point a scanner at the pizza, get a 3D hologram of it, complete with spectroscopic analysys, fingerprints, and DNA profiles in about 2 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I think it only takes a day or two to get DNA results. Most of the delay is the backlog at the lab doing the testing.

Unless this is CSI, then they just point a scanner at the pizza, get a 3D hologram of it, complete with spectroscopic analysys, fingerprints, and DNA profiles in about 2 minutes.
      While drinking a super big gulp.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Well ok. I've read that on average it takes three weeks, and my impression was, aside from lab backlog, it was because the profiles took time to develop.

Ain't CSI great though? LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          I'm perplexed about the claim of DNA evidence so soon after the crime
          Looks like they've taken his DNA before. So matching the unknown DNA to him would be a simple matter of replicating the sample and seeing if the database has any match.

Comment

lab backlog,
            My dear DesertBerean. Backlog?

A rich CEO and his family was murdered. The neighbourhood of multimillionaires and their families need to be assured that they will be safe from such assaults from low-life thugs. The Vice President, for crying out loud, Biden himself lives in the vicinity.

Backlog? This case is priority number one.

Comment

Well ok. I've read that on average it takes three weeks, and my impression was, aside from lab backlog, it was because the profiles took time to develop.

Ain't CSI great though? LOL.
              I think it takes around 50-60 hours to do the lab, and a lot of it is procedural record keeping, making sure the sample is pure and not contaminated with previous tests, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                While drinking a super big gulp.
                That's only Abby on NCIS and it is a Caf-Pow!

caf-pow.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I remember seeing a parody of CSI where they kept zooming in on a satellite photo in order to pick up a fingerprint and then extracted the DNA from the photo of the fingerprint to make an instant identification.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                    Looks like they've taken his DNA before. So matching the unknown DNA to him would be a simple matter of replicating the sample and seeing if the database has any match.
                    Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I remember seeing a parody of CSI where they kept zooming in on a satellite photo in order to pick up a fingerprint and then extracted the DNA from the photo of the fingerprint to make an instant identification.

Comment

My dear DesertBerean. Backlog?

A rich CEO and his family was murdered. The neighbourhood of multimillionaires and their families need to be assured that they will be safe from such assaults from low-life thugs. The Vice President, for crying out loud, Biden himself lives in the vicinity.

Backlog? This case is priority number one.
                        That may be...but not much of a point if the sample did actually require three weeks. but it appears that isn't the case.

Comment

but it appears that isn't the case.
                          Right, so since that question has been answered, shall we move forward to contextualise this otherwise isolated incident within class warfare so as to properly understand it?

Comment

Right, so since that question has been answered, shall we move forward to contextualise this otherwise isolated incident within class warfare so as to properly understand it?

How about you read this
                            http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/22...cide-arrested/ and decide if it's a case of class warfare, or a very scary instance of a very dangerous murder suspect?

Comment

I always like those computer forensic shows where they are trying to track a hacker. And they say something like "His IP address is bouncing off dozens of servers, we can never find him!"

Well first of all that is a trace route. They have to have the actual IP to even start a trace route. The IP might be hidden through a TOR anonymizer and that would stop it. But if not, they already HAVE the guys location, regardless of where it bounced around to get to the end. And if they did want to trace the route back through the servers, going through "dozens of servers" is not a problem. That is what they have computers for.

Plus most of the time, the IP address only shows you the location of the DNS server (the ISP) and you would have to contact them with a court order to find who they assigned that IP address to.

For example, looking up DB's IP, I can tell what city she is in and what state (California) but I can't see her actual location. I can also tell she is using Verizon wireless.

And she was eating cheetos. Wearing a pony costume. while singing "itsy bitsy spider" - but that's all I can tell, I swear. except for her ATM PIN and social security number.

Comment