Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Do Members of Congress Need a Raise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Members of Congress Need a Raise?

http://blogs.rollcall.com/hill-blott...ay-raise/?dcz=

Source: RollCall

Rep. Alcee L. Hastings made the politically tone-deaf case for raising salaries for members of Congress Monday, pointing to the high cost of living in the District of Columbia.

“Members deserve to be paid, staff deserves to be paid and the cost of living here is causing serious problems for people who are not wealthy to serve in this institution,” the Florida Democrat said at a Rules Committee meeting, referring to the average member’s $174,000 annual salary. “We aren’t being paid properly,” he later added.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

THIS guy?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ings102189.htm
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Aw come on, Bill... bad news so kill the messenger?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Same here in the UK. MP's always want a pay rise. Our MP's can claim expenses though as well, can American representatives claim expenses?
        “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

I think that members of Congress should be paid in a manner inversely proportional to the amount of legislation they pass.
          Last edited by Zymologist; 05-19-2015, 09:45 AM.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            I think that members of Congress should be paid in a manner inversely proportional to the amount of legislation they pass.
            Nice. So they get paid more for the less they pass. Of course if a real crisis happens then they won't do anything about it out of fear of not being paid.
            “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              I always say the First Amendment should be limited to the first 5 words....

Congress shall make no law. Period!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I always say the First Amendment should be limited to the first 5 words....

Congress shall make no law. Period!
                I'll take Anarchy for $500 Alex.

Comment

No raise. Do they even DESERVE a raise?
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                    I'll take Anarchy for $500 Alex.
                    I used to love when Paul Harvey would come on the radio with his annual (or maybe more often) summary of how many new laws had been passed by Congress in the prior year -- and "none of them trumps the 10 commandments".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      I used to love when Paul Harvey would come on the radio with his annual (or maybe more often) summary of how many new laws had been passed by Congress in the prior year -- and "none of them trumps the 10 commandments".
                      It's layered bureaucracy in order to control the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        How the heck did he go from being a corrupt District Judge to a US Rep? It boggles the mind. Boggles I say! Oh wait. Democrat. Never mind. makes sense now.

Comment

If I went to my boss and told him I needed a much larger paycheck because I can't afford to live like the wealthy people around town, I would be laughed out of his office, or fired.

I deserve a mansion! and a red Ferrari. And a maid and gardener.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            How the heck did he go from being a corrupt District Judge to a US Rep?
                            Same way the current (GOP) governor here went from overseeing the largest Medicare fraud case in history at the time, to being a two-time governor. "Floriduh" has a history of electing politicians that have sewer-level morals...which party they're from is just a side effect.

Comment