Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Split From: Some People You Respect...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split From: Some People You Respect...

Barack Obama - The most abusively maligned President in the history of the USA. I of course do not always agree with him, and he has made mistakes, but nothing like some of the previous administrations.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    nothing like some of the previous administrations.
    No, he's about on par with the previous administrations. Although he did end the embargo against Cuba and is entering into talks with Iran despite whiny senators telling him not to.
    My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
      No, he's about on par with the previous administrations. Although he did end the embargo against Cuba and is entering into talks with Iran despite whiny senators telling him not to.
      I believe your understating Obama's accomplishments.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

I believe that you're grossly exaggerating the "most abusively maligned President in the history of the USA" part. Both Clinton and Bush suffered from sharper attacks and they were hardly the "most abusively maligned President in the history of the USA" either. Most criticism of Obama's policies has been muzzled with knee-jerk accusations of racism. For the first few years even the late night comediennes were afraid to poke fun at him for fear of it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I believe that you're grossly exaggerating the "most abusively maligned President in the history of the USA" part. Both Clinton and Bush suffered from sharper attacks and they were hardly the "most abusively maligned President in the history of the USA" either. Most criticism of Obama's policies has been muzzled with knee-jerk accusations of racism. For the first few years even the late night comediennes were afraid to poke fun at him for fear of it.
          No president in US history has had their citizenship, birth certificate nor religion so severely maligned in history as Obama. Even McCain question Obama's birth origins. The malicious attacks with severe racial over tones from the right on Obama have no parallel in history. These attacks were decidedly personal and not political. I think your living in a very dark cave.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-16-2015, 10:19 AM.

Frank

Comment

Barack Obama - The most abusively maligned President in the history of the USA.
            In the HISTORY of the USA? Really? I mean, I'm pretty sure someone like Lincoln was far more maligned than Obama ever was. Half the nation hated his guts and cheered and celebrated when he was murdered. Herbert Hoover couldn't have been much liked during the Great Depression. And though his resignation happened right before my time, I don't remember Richard "I'm not a crook" Nixon being all that popular either.

Comment

Moderated By: DesertBerean

Split and moved to Civics as a better fit for this off-topic conversation

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
              Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

It seems to me that presidents in general, by the nature of their position, tend to elicit a lot of negativity. It seems presumptuous to say that any one president is "the most maligned."
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I wouldn't call a $17 trillion debt an "accomplishment."

Comment

Comment

In fairness, he inherited a good chunk of that - but he's added more than other any other president.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        It seems to me that presidents in general, by the nature of their position, tend to elicit a lot of negativity. It seems presumptuous to say that any one president is "the most maligned."
                        Perhaps, however, Obama is the most thin-skinned about it.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          In the HISTORY of the USA? Really? I mean, I'm pretty sure someone like Lincoln was far more maligned than Obama ever was. Half the nation hated his guts and cheered and celebrated when he was murdered. Herbert Hoover couldn't have been much liked during the Great Depression. And though his resignation happened right before my time, I don't remember Richard "I'm not a crook" Nixon being all that popular either.
                          Lincoln and Obama. A close draw, ah . . . I do not mind Obama as being the second most abusively maligned President in history.
                          Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-16-2015, 05:06 PM.

Frank

Comment

You will need to put this in perspective of the recent history of USA debt and the causes. Obama came in on the tail end of a Depression and tax breaks for the wealthy reducing income and at the time expenses are constantly increasing. The trend is definitely historical not Obama only.

This has nothing to do with the abusive character assassination targeted on Obama.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-16-2015, 05:08 PM.

Frank

Comment

Lincoln and Obama. A close draw, ah . . . I d not mind Obama as being the second most abusively maligned President in history.
                              He brings a lot of it on himself with his arrogance. He jumps into "weighing in" on things without the facts, but believes in "leading from behind" on critical world issues.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment