Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Split From: Some People You Respect...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    The growing extremism of the right in the Republican Party.
    And you think that the growing extremism of the left in the Democratic Party is... what, more responsible? More civil? More respectful of Republican leaders?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The growing extremism of the right in the Republican Party.
      Mmm. Look at all of that delicious political bias.
      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        And you think that the growing extremism of the left in the Democratic Party is... what, more responsible? More civil?
        No. The Extreme right T party choose a radical no compromise conservative religious based block of votes. I great deal of the abuse of Obama comes from this block. The Democratic Party did not make such a pact of extremism in opposition to the Republican Party.

More respectful of Republican leaders?
        Yes.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-16-2015, 09:59 PM.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

No. The Extreme right T party choose a radical no compromise conservative religious based block of votes.
          Wow. I'm assuming you're referring to the Tea Party? You don't think they've realized that they actually have to get candidates elected in order to govern? Can you give me an example of half a dozen or so "radical no compromise conservatives" in office today?

I great deal of the abuse of Obama comes from this block. The Democratic Party did not make such a pact of extremism in opposition to the Republican Party.
          Harry Reid / Pelosi.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
            Mmm. Look at all of that delicious political bias.
            I am a political independent that grew up in a Republican family. I go by the facts of the history of the Tea Party. Air Ball!!! Nothing in the above represents a factual response
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Just an fyi for everyone else, the more he screams "airball!" the more accurately you've described him, or the situation at hand.

Comment

Wow. I'm assuming you're referring to the Tea Party? You don't think they've realized that they actually have to get candidates elected in order to govern? Can you give me an example of half a dozen or so "radical no compromise conservatives" in office today?
                Those that signed the 'No Compromise Agreement.' partial list in the following article.

[cite=http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/10/32-republicans-who-caused-the-government-shutdown/280236/]

Friday was the fourth day of the government shutdown, and there’s still no sign of an exit. What’s surprising about the ongoing fight is how a small group of members of Congress have managed to bring Washington to a halt. Just months ago, Speaker John Boehner was warning that forcing the government to shut down over Obamacare or anything else was politically hazardous. Yet Boehner remains stuck, his strategy dictated by a small rump of members in the Republican caucus who refuse to budge. On Monday night, as government funding ran out, a group of around 40 hardline conservatives refused to support any resolution to fund the government that didn't defund Obamacare. Since Monday night, their goals may have become less clear, but their resolve has not weakened. While it’s widely believed that a “clean” resolution would pass the House handily, it would also likely lead to a right-wing rebellion in the caucus that would spell the end of Boehner’s speakership.

So who are those hardliners? To compile this list, we started with a roster that the Senate Conservatives Fund, a group aligned with Ted Cruz, created of representatives who were allied with them. We cross-checked it with the list of members who signed an August letter by Rep. Mark Meadows demanding that Boehner use a shutdown as a threat to defund Obamacare, and against other public statements this week. It's not a comprehensive roll — there’s no official “wacko bird” caucus that keeps a register — but it's a window into the small but powerful group of men and women in the House of Representatives who brought the federal government to a standstill.

Representative: Justin Amash - Home District: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Representative: Michele Bachmann - Home District: Stillwater, Minnesota

Representative: Marsha Blackburn - Home District: Brentwood, Tennessee

Representative: Mo Brooks - Home District: Huntsville, Alabama

Representative: Paul Broun - Home District: Athens, Georgia

Representative: John Carter - Home District: Round Rock, Texas

Representative: John Culberson - Home District: Houston, Texas

Representative: Ron DeSantis - Home District: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

Representative: Scott DesJarlais - Home District: Jasper, Tennessee

Representative: Jeff Duncan - Home District: Laurens, South Carolina

Representative: John Fleming - Home District: Minden, Louisiana

Representative: Scott Garrett - Home District: Wantange Township, New Jersey

Representative: Phil Gingrey - Home District: Marietta, Georgia

Representative: Louie Gohmert - Home District: Tyler, Texas

Representative: Tom Graves - Home District: Ranger, Georgia

Representative: Vicky Hartzler - Home District: Harrisonville, Missouri

Representative: Tim Huelskamp - Home District: Fowler, Kansas

Representative: Jim Jordan - Home District: Urbana, Ohio

Representative: Steve King - Home District: Kiron, Iowa

Representative: Raul Labrador - Home District: Eagle, Idaho

Representative: Tom Massie - Home District: Garrison, Kentucky

Representative: Tom McClintock - Home District: Elk Grove, California

Representative: Mark Meadows - Home District: Cashier, North Carolina

Representative: Randy Neugebauer - Home District: Lubbock, Texas

Representative: Matt Salmon - Home District: Mesa, Arizona

Representative: Mark Sanford - Home District: Charleston, South Carolina

Representative: Steve Scalise - Home District: Jefferson, Louisiana

Representative: Dave Schweikert - Home District: Fountain Hills, Arizona

Representative: Steve Stockman - Home District: Clear Lake, Texas

Representative: Marlin Stutzman - Home District: Howe, Indiana

Representative: Randy Weber - Home District: Pearland, Texas

Representative: Ted Yoho - Home District: Gainesville, Florida

Frank

Comment

I am a political independent that grew up in a Republican family. I go by the facts of the history of the Tea Party. Air Ball!!! Nothing in the above represents a factual response
                  Irony at it's finest. Sorry shuny, but many presidents have been far more attacked than Obama ever has been.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Lincoln and Obama. A close draw, ah . . . I do not mind Obama as being the second most abusively maligned President in history.

You have a very active imagination. Bush has been portrayed in all sorts of fashions and even flat out death threats were made against him without a peep from the media. Yet, anybody says anything critical against Obama and everybody throws a fit. Telling you this though is a waste of time because you're incapable of seeing reality and incapable of ever admitting to error.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Those that signed the 'No Compromise Agreement.' partial list in the following article.
                      Perhaps you haven't noticed that BOTH sides will pretty much do anything within their power to get their way, Shuny.

It's called "politics".

Comment

I am a political independent that grew up in a Republican family.
                        I think, Shuny, you're a left wing extremist who doesn't have the guts to admit it.

Comment

I think, Shuny, you're a left wing extremist who doesn't have the guts to admit it.
                          Name calling is not constructive response.

Frank

Comment

He's not name calling. He is entirely serious.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It's not name calling, Shuny -- I don't think you realize how "left" you are, as you attack those who are "right". Do you really think you don't have a leftist bias?

Comment