Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Boston. Bomber Sentenced to Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston. Bomber Sentenced to Death

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jury-reache...ry?id=31067121

I have mixed feelings on this. Even the victims and families of lost ones are split on this.

Thoughts?
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

I have no problem with eliminating the death penalty, but since we still have it, this punishment fits the crime.
    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Yeah...and I'm afraid my mixed feelings comes from the fact appeals could take YEARS. Of course, since he pled guilty to start with, he may have limited options on appeals.

Comment

May God have mercy on his soul, and may he find Christ before it's too late.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          Thoughts?
          All those feels.

Especially those rejoicing about closure, when appeals are likely to drag on for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            May God have mercy on his soul, and may he find Christ before it's too late.
            Bur he is not expecting to join his martyred brother in paradise? Why on earth would he give that up? Presumably Allah (the supreme god and creator of the universe) is rounding up a bunch of virgins as we speak.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              Bur he is not expecting to join his martyred brother in paradise?
              Perhaps, but that could change.

Why on earth would he give that up? Presumably Allah (the supreme god and creator of the universe) is rounding up a bunch of virgins as we speak.
              Just this past Saturday, I had breakfast with a former Muslim who "awoke" to find that Jesus was "a greater prophet" than Muhammad, explaining to me that even Muhammad said that Jesus would be in Heaven, but Muhammad didn't know if he himself would be there or not.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just this past Saturday, I had breakfast with a former Muslim who "awoke" to find that Jesus was "a greater prophet" than Muhammad, explaining to me that even Muhammad said that Jesus would be in Heaven, but Muhammad didn't know if he himself would be there or not.
                Maybe one day you will have breakfast with a Muslim. Perhaps you might also pray together with a Muslim and invite a Muslim to relate his spiritual experience in your church.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Perhaps, but that could change.
                  While the odds are not great there is still hope.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Maybe one day you will have breakfast with a Muslim.
                    Been there, done that.

Perhaps you might also pray together with a Muslim and invite a Muslim to relate his spiritual experience in your church.
                    And why would I do that?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      While the odds are not great there is still hope.
                      Stranger things have happened.

Comment

And why would I do that?
                        Because the experience would teach you that you and the Muslim are doing the same thing but your description of what you are doing is different. A different religion is just like a foreign language.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                          http://abcnews.go.com/US/jury-reache...ry?id=31067121

I have mixed feelings on this. Even the victims and families of lost ones are split on this.

Thoughts?
                          Mixed feelings here, too.

Maybe more so because he got death and others do not. For example, Bernie Madoff probably did more long term damage to more people than he did. I wish he could have gotten the death penalty.

I don't think eliminating the death penalty is the answer. Maybe we have to look at how its applied.
                          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Because the experience would teach you that you and the Muslim are doing the same thing but your description of what you are doing is different. A different religion is just like a foreign language.
                            We believe Jesus is the only sure way to heaven. Having a representative of a religion that teaches heaven MAY BE attained by specific actions and words come and talk to us about how s/he MAY BE so favored by the God of that religion to enter heaven...uh, no. Not the same thing.

Comment

Um...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment