Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Op Ed Piece By The Florist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Op Ed Piece By The Florist

Interesting, well reasoned piece, good take away line:

I’m a florist, but I refused to do flowers for my gay friend’s wedding

We’ve always heard that same-sex marriage would never affect anyone aside from the same-sex couples who wanted to be married. But a judge recently told me that my freedom to live and work according to my beliefs about marriage expired the day same-sex marriage became the law in my state.

Our government is supposed to protect our First Amendment rights — freedom of religion and expression. But the government is telling me I can only be a faithful Christian within the four walls of my church. That’s impossible and it’s unjust.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/postev...tid=HP_opinion
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

good article.

Comment

I want an answer from all you liberals who think it is ok to trample the rights of this florest and others. to the questions below.

Did this florest or the photographer or any of the other people, whose constitutionally protected rights are being trampled try to stop couples like the one in this article having a ceremony to celebrate their UNION?

if the answer is NO which it is. why are you being so hypocritically intolerant and bigoted?.
      Last edited by RumTumTugger; 05-13-2015, 02:03 PM.

Comment

And people wonder why Texas Pastors are working for legislation that would protect us from this same kind of erosion of religious liberty.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
          I want an answer from all you liberals who think it is ok to trample the rights of this florest and others. to the questions below.

Did this florest or the photographer or any of the other peopel, who constitutionally protected rights are being trampled try to stop couples like these having a ceremony to celebrate their UNION?

if the answer is NO which it is. why are you being so hypocritically intolerant and bigoted in this?.
          This is correct. This gay couple was not put out in the least. She recommended three other florists that would have been happy to take their order.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            This is correct. This gay couple was not put out in the least. She recommended three other florists that would have been happy to take their order.
            I still want an answer from the intolerant left on this. I'm interested in seeing what excuses they give for their intolerance
            Last edited by RumTumTugger; 05-13-2015, 02:30 PM.

Comment

“In my religious tradition, marriage is a sacred religious ceremony between a man, a woman and Christ.” – Not generally true. Christ is a Christian concept. Non-Christians marry too.

“To participate in a wedding that violates those principles violates the core of my faith.” – What has flower selling got to do with religion or marriage? Flower selling is a commercial transaction not a sacrament.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                In my religious tradition, marriage is a sacred religious ceremony between a man, a woman and Christ.” – Not generally true. Christ is a Christian concept. Non-Christians marry too.
                Reading comprehension fail.

Take a look at the bolded. Oh, and Christ is more than just a Christian concept. It goes over into Judaism, Islam, and even Baha'i. Christ simply means messiah. It's a title applied to Jesus in Christianity.

To participate in a wedding that violates those principles violates the core of my faith.” – What has flower selling got to do with religion or marriage? Flower selling is a commercial transaction not a sacrament.
                It's not just "selling flowers" it's to "participate in a wedding that violates those principles violates the core of my faith" that's she's against. If this was simply selling a pot of flowers to someone this wouldn't be a problem, but arranging flowers at a wedding is an entirely different beast.

Not sure why I went into this, we all know you're just here to .

Comment

“In my religious tradition, marriage is a sacred religious ceremony between a man, a woman and Christ.” – Not generally true. Christ is a Christian concept. Non-Christians marry too.

“To participate in a wedding that violates those principles violates the core of my faith.” – What has flower selling got to do with religion or marriage? Flower selling is a commercial transaction not a sacrament.
                  stupidity.jpg
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Then that's obviously not YOUR "religious tradition".

Your dishonesty is noted --- it's not "selling flowers", it's "doing the wedding". This is far more than an "in store transaction".

Source: the article

When I told Rob, I felt terrible that I couldn’t share this day with him, as I’d shared so many with him before. I took his hands and said, “I’m sorry I can’t do your wedding because of my relationship with Jesus Christ.”

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                      It's not just "selling flowers" it's to "participate in a wedding that violates those principles violates the core of my faith" that's she's against. If this was simply selling a pot of flowers to someone this wouldn't be a problem, but arranging flowers at a wedding is an entirely different beast.
                      It's always telling when the opposition has to drastically distort the truth in order to launch an attack.

Comment

For the record, most of the weddings I've done that involved a florist -- the florist consults with the couple as to color, style, how much money they want to spend, etc.... and provides the flowers for the Church or venue, along with the Corsages & Boutonnieres for the wedding party, along with the flowers the Bride carries, and the rose petals (or whatever) to drop along the "runway", and is almost always AT the venue to make sure everything goes as planned, including the boutonnieres being pinned on the wedding party, and often whatever candles or ornaments, etc.....

It's WAY different than "selling flowers".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          It's WAY different than "selling flowers".
                          Only if you are being unprofessional and emotional about your service provision. There is a difference between a commercial service provision and “participation”. But the sin is to think that what other people do out of love and perfectly legally is yours to condemn by your refusal of equal opportunity.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Only if you are being unprofessional and emotional about your service provision.
                            Nope. You're just flat out wrong. Again!

There is a difference between a commercial service provision and “participation”.
                            Being involved in the planning and implementation of an event is "participation".

But the sin

FF is lecturing us on what SIN is!

is to think that what other people do out of love and perfectly legally is yours to condemn by your refusal of equal opportunity.
                            They have the opportunity to utilize any other florist on the planet who doesn't object to persons who are signalling their intent to live in rebellion against God.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              good take away line:
                              We’ve always heard that same-sex marriage would never affect anyone aside from the same-sex couples who wanted to be married.
                              They lied. Were you (plural) really expecting otherwise?

Comment