Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Immigration Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration Op Ed

I like the way this guy sums things up:

Source: http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/the-changing-definition-of-the-american-dream/

By Joe Pagliarulo

The perceived conservative war on Latinos or immigrants was invented by those who don’t want immigrants to realize the American Dream. Well, not the dreams of our immigrant ancestors and those who built this country. Somehow, big government advocates in power have convinced today’s immigrants that they should come here illegally, work off the books, pay no taxes, hide, learn the language or not, and put their hands out. They have redefined the American Dream to mean: Come to the US and we’ll give you free food, rent, diapers, electricity, a cell phone and more in the form of entitlements. If you’re here — they’ve convinced many — you’re entitled to all of this. In return, all we want is your vote when you’re able to vote. If you can’t, just have your family members who can, vote for us. I don’t think today’s immigrants are lazy nor without direction or goals and dreams. I just think the movement by the far left was to disincentivize as many as possible from going and getting it for themselves through hard work and less control by a central government and to force them into a state of reliance on them.

© Copyright Original Source

I guess the cite tags aren't working yet...
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

No mention of existing and inevitable racial strife
    No mention of Big Business colluding to destroy american workers' wages
    Obsessive fixation with welfare

Illegal immigration is the "Final Solution" to the conservative problem, and by the looks of it conservatives are quite happy to guard their own concentration camps.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      No mention of existing and inevitable racial strife
      No mention of Big Business colluding to destroy american workers' wages
      Obsessive fixation with welfare

Illegal immigration is the "Final Solution" to the conservative problem, and by the looks of it conservatives are quite happy to guard their own concentration camps.
      The American worker, and their demand for "more", is a major factor in destroying their own wages.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        The American worker, and their demand for "more", is a major factor in destroying their own wages.
        Q_Q

How dare they? All that money rightfully belongs to liberal oligarchs so they can use it to replace your culture and religion with decadence and misery.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Q_Q

How dare they? All that money rightfully belongs to liberal oligarchs so they can use it to replace your culture and religion with decadence and misery.
          When idiot lifetime McDonald's fry basket attendants demand $12-$13 an hour just so they can pay the minimum payment on their overpriced bass boat that they really couldn't afford in the first place, what should the business owners do? Why should anyone have to pay for another person's financial irresponsibility?
          That's what
          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

When idiot lifetime McDonald's fry basket attendants demand $12-$13 an hour just so they can pay the minimum payment on their overpriced bass boat that they really couldn't afford in the first place
            This is a common and realistic scenario.

Comment

This is a common and realistic scenario.
              You're right. They're demanding $15/hour.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                You're right. They're demanding $15/hour.
                Take from Warren Buffet and give them $15/hour. It's the better deal.

Comment

Take from Warren Buffet and give them $15/hour. It's the better deal.
                  ANd most of them will take that increase and buy something else on credit that they can't afford. It's not the possession of cash that is the problem, its the lack of ability to use it wisely.
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

ANd most of them will take that increase and buy something else on credit that they can't afford. It's not the possession of cash that is the problem, its the lack of ability to use it wisely.
                    Even if that was the case (I'd like to see some hard stats), it's still a superior policy to liberal oligarchs going out of their way to give Christians the middle finger while Christians are busy making sure these people can make as much money as humanly possible.

Comment

Even if that was the case (I'd like to see some hard stats), it's still a superior policy to liberal oligarchs going out of their way to give Christians the middle finger while Christians are busy making sure these people can make as much money as humanly possible.
                      What do the Grammy's nonsense have to do with businesses and their employees buying more than they can afford?
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

What do the Grammy's nonsense have to do with businesses and their employees buying more than they can afford?
                        What does buying more than they can afford have to do with stupid immigration policy and its devastating effects?

Comment

What does buying more than they can afford have to do with stupid immigration policy and its devastating effects?
                          You originally commented:

No mention of Big Business colluding to destroy American workers' wages
                          American workers are wasting their own wages, and begging for more wages just causes the consumption based debt to increase. It has nothing to do with immigration, yet you brought it up, so I addressed it.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You originally commented:

American workers are wasting their own wages, and begging for more wages just causes the consumption based debt to increase. It has nothing to do with immigration, yet you brought it up, so I addressed it.
                            It DOES have something to do with immigration, because the bigger the available labor pool gets, the lower the wages (and the higher the unemployment). Your comment, based on data you have yet to present, doesn't really address it since you're complaining that workers are not willing to work for subsistence (and often, below) level wages when they really shouldn't have to in the first place.

Comment

It DOES have something to do with immigration, because the bigger the available labor pool gets, the lower the wages (and the higher the unemployment).
                              Lower wages SHOULD mean lower prices for consumable goods, but it doesn't because people spend more than they make.

Your comment, based on data you have yet to present,
                              You really need proof that consumer debt to income ratio stays the same until income reaches the top 20%?

http://aldobarba.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/cje.pdf

doesn't really address it since you're complaining that workers are not willing to work for subsistence (and often, below) level wages when they really shouldn't have to in the first place.
                              No, I am complaining that we have a VERY skewed version of what "subsistence" entails.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0419151455.htm

Based on interviews conducted before the 2008 financial crisis, researchers found that even though consumers espouse that they should limit their debt, they take on significant debt because doing so has become normal. As one participant put it, taking on debt is "the American way."
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment