Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are Blueprints for 3-D Printed Guns Free Speech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    Sure. But given that less than two years ago there were only 1-shot plastic pistols, I think that there'll be quite a bit of progress to come.
    Can't disagree there. I am pretty surprised how far they have come in such a short time. I just don't know how viable this would be for any type of large projects. Given the cost of materials and the printer itself. As of right now, you could have a professional gunsmith create the same gun for you at a major fraction of the cost. Better yet, just buy the gun from an auction site.

I don't think anyone should get too excited about this. The plastic 3D printed guns didn't usher in armageddon like some where hand wringing about. I doubt this will be any different.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

I'm not sure what the issue here is.

In my possession I have a pre-WWII rifle that lacks any serial number. I dont think it was required until 1968 or so that all guns have a S/N; many got them but cheap ones did not. If i were to use that gun in a crime... it'd be traced back to me how? Actually, how is any gun traced? On TV they show using matching of the groove patterns on the bullet, and shell casing markings--but guess what? Modern machinery is very good at making the same identical markings on barrels. that circumstantial evidence is only of value if you have a suspect in the first place, then you can say it looks like their type of gun was used. Otherwise... It's been narrowed down anyone of a few thousand who might own that particular gun. And with few states running gun registation, that is of little use.

Most states have rather unfettered access to guns, ammunition and concealed carry. Each time regulations have been loosened as to conceal carry there have been cries of "blood in the street" which simply has failed to happen. People can currently obtain firearms and do whatever they want; people with pricey printers making pricey guns are now going to figure out how to do their dastardly plan of... taking out someone because they were too snobbish to use a cheap gun?
      No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
        No, I wasn't speaking of the "Right to bear arms". I am speaking specifically towards the idea that every new technology must be regulated because it "looks" scary. If you decide to look closer into this, you will see these "guns" don't work. That is because the plastic that has to be used in 3D printers is too pliable to be used in a real firearm. You can't even create a good knife with one of these. Sensationalism aside, 3D printing will be good for small projects and probably nothing more. But that won't stop people trying to regulate something they know nothing about.
        Just recently, a group printed a working gun similar to an AR15 using a cheap printer. I think you are underestimating the progress already made and overestimating the cost involved.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/03/...s-nato-rounds/
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          Just recently, a group printed a working gun similar to an AR15 using a cheap printer. I think you are underestimating the progress already made and overestimating the cost involved.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/03/...s-nato-rounds/
          This is showing that you know very little about guns. Your link is talking about a 3D printed lower receiver only. Who would waste over $500 dollars for a 3D printer plus materials to make a plastic lower receiver when you can buy an original for around $59 from a place that sells gun part kits? Your own link says that using a 3D printer for a lower receiver "would not likely be the best tool to use".

You really do not understand the logistics involved that makes this non-viable for serious use. Even the metal 3D printed gun costs well over $500,000 just to create one (because of the materials and printer). None of this is viable for the criminally minded nor I doubt it will ever be. This boils down to sensationalism on the part of the media and the manufacturers of these printers/blueprints. Some of you seem to have bought into it. So, let me know when your average gangbanger can print a lower receiver for less than $59 or an actual reliable steel glock for under $300 (yes these are street prices). I will then concede that you might have a case for regulation.

Originally posted by supton
          I'm not sure what the issue here is.

In my possession I have a pre-WWII rifle that lacks any serial number. I dont think it was required until 1968 or so that all guns have a S/N; many got them but cheap ones did not. If i were to use that gun in a crime... it'd be traced back to me how? Actually, how is any gun traced? On TV they show using matching of the groove patterns on the bullet, and shell casing markings--but guess what? Modern machinery is very good at making the same identical markings on barrels. that circumstantial evidence is only of value if you have a suspect in the first place, then you can say it looks like their type of gun was used. Otherwise... It's been narrowed down anyone of a few thousand who might own that particular gun. And with few states running gun registation, that is of little use.

Most states have rather unfettered access to guns, ammunition and concealed carry. Each time regulations have been loosened as to conceal carry there have been cries of "blood in the street" which simply has failed to happen. People can currently obtain firearms and do whatever they want; people with pricey printers making pricey guns are now going to figure out how to do their dastardly plan of... taking out someone because they were too snobbish to use a cheap gun?
          It's because some of these people need a new boogeyman to scare the masses into making more laws that are not needed. And if a boogeyman is not readily available, they create one. 3D printed rocket launchers will be next.
          Last edited by Jesse; 05-08-2015, 09:15 AM.
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

How much difference can it make when guns are readily available? The only reason to "print" one is for the novelty. When it becomes fiscally practical most of us will be buying these instead of printing them ourselves.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment