Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Right or Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right or Wrong?

I'm of two minds on this. Any thoughts? For instance our church baptized the child of a single, unmarried mother - I think that was a good thing.

Son Of Gay Dads Denied Baptism In Florida Episcopal Church

Baptism is usually a time to celebrate new life and spiritual community. But for Rich McCaffrey, a new father in central Florida, the ritual took on a hurtful note when he had to cancel his son's baptism -- because McCaffrey and his husband are gay.

McCaffrey and his husband, Eric, began attending the Episcopal Cathedral Church of St. Luke in Orlando, Florida shortly after adopting their son, Jack. They hoped to become part of a spiritual community in which they could baptize their son, McCaffrey explained in a May 2 Facebook post.

The church’s dean, Anthony Clark, initially agreed to the baptism and encouraged the family to schedule it for the 6 p.m. Sunday service, “since those who worship at that time tend to be the most 'open,'" according to McCaffrey. The parents chose April 19.

Things turned sour on April 16, when, three days before the planned baptism, Clark told them that “there were members of the congregation who opposed Jack’s baptism” and the service would have to be temporarily cancelled.

"Jack’s baptism turned out to be the very opposite of what it should have been," McCaffrey wrote on Facebook. "It became about Jack having two dads, rather than a community opening its arms to a joyful little soul, one of God’s children."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7223744.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

The Episcopals have grown a little backbone?

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      The Episcopals have grown a little backbone?
      It will go back to jelly soon. But do you think the child should not have the benefit of baptism because of the sins of the parents?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        It will go back to jelly soon. But do you think the child should not have the benefit of baptism because of the sins of the parents?
        Well clearly they're trying to exclude the parents.

Which raises the question about whether the parents were trying to use the kid as a pawn: to force their way into the community by getting him baptised. If so then the response is perfectly reasonable.

On another note I don't think infant baptism means anything much.

Comment

Isn't having two gay dads practically mandatory to be an Episcopalian?
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            Isn't having two gay dads practically mandatory to be an Episcopalian?
            I thought so...

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
              Well clearly they're trying to exclude the parents.

Which raises the question about whether the parents were trying to use the kid as a pawn: to force their way into the community by getting him baptised. If so then the response is perfectly reasonable.
              Right, but in the case of the single mom at my church she really was sincere about have the child baptized into the faith. She brings the child to church every week.

On another note I don't think infant baptism means anything much.
              Yes, that is an opinion held by some.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Right, but in the case of the single mom at my church she really was sincere about have the child baptized into the faith. She brings the child to church every week.
                From the Facebook post of one of the men:

We were open with him about our family and that we wanted the focus to be placed, where it should, on Jack. The Dean was welcoming and open about the congregation, explaining it was a mix of conservative- and liberal-minded people. He agreed to Jack’s baptism, and recommended we opt for the later 6 p.m. service, since those who worship at that time tend to be the most “open.”
                The infiltration repulsion theory is indicated.

Comment

If they're members of the church, then it's inconsistent to deny the baptism.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    If they're members of the church, then it's inconsistent to deny the baptism.
                    It sounds like they're not: they're new to that church but of course they could be members of another Episcopalian branch. Also, if they were I'd expect something along the lines of "we're members too why not our son!?!?!?".

Comment

Pater Herbert our parish priest once denied baptism to a couple. They never came to Church on sundays, and they had no Christian Faith, and what was more important, they would not bring up their child in the Faith of the Church. It was just a ritual to them, and nothing more.

Eventually he allowed it, but only on the condition that the child's pious grandmother would bring him up in the faith.

Comment

It's not like punishing children for the sins of their parents is foreign to Christianity.

Comment