Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Vanderbilt University sociologist says white privilege still exist and riots prove it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    People say I'm privileged, and maybe I am. But the funny thing is, the harder I work, the more privileged I get.
    True of the privileged class.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by DLAbaoaqu View Post
      If there is white privilege, I sure don't have any. Otherwise, I'd be rich.
      The issue is not the individual. It is a society where the blacks have lived with repression and fear for over 200 years.

See http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...all-of-Silence
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-19-2015, 06:07 AM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        The issue is not the individual. It is a society where the blacks have lived with repression and fear for over 200 years.

See http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...all-of-Silence
        So have poor Whites, poor Orientals, and poor Hispanics. The choices people make directly impact their level of "privilege".
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          So have poor Whites, poor Orientals, and poor Hispanics. The choices people make directly impact their level of "privilege".
          Yeah, he should visit eastern kentucky some time. some very poor white people there. I bet they don't feel privileged.

And to Ana: about your comment about blacks being followed around in stores. Twice I was stopped as I left department stores by security, who thought I was shoplifting because I was just standing around browsing and had a bag in my hand once and was wearing a baggy coat the other time. They stopped me and wanted to look in my bag and check out my coat. I gladly showed them I didn't have anything and I was not upset that they stopped me. They were doing their job. And they apparently didn't give a crap that I was white and not black. No privs there.

Also if you watch shows like COPS - you will notice that they stop as many or more white people as blacks and arrest them for drugs, or prostitution, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Yeah, he should visit eastern kentucky some time. some very poor white people there. I bet they don't feel privileged.

And to Ana: about your comment about blacks being followed around in stores. Twice I was stopped as I left department stores by security, who thought I was shoplifting because I was just standing around browsing and had a bag in my hand once and was wearing a baggy coat the other time. They stopped me and wanted to look in my bag and check out my coat. I gladly showed them I didn't have anything and I was not upset that they stopped me. They were doing their job. And they apparently didn't give a crap that I was white and not black. No privs there.

Also if you watch shows like COPS - you will notice that they stop as many or more white people as blacks and arrest them for drugs, or prostitution, etc.
            Maybe if you hadn't showed up to the department store with your eyepatch and hook and Captains hat, swinging a rum bottle in your hand while declaring to the security that you were "going to plunder this store and you landlubbers better get out of the way before I keelhaul you!" (<--This is just an approximation of what you actually said, I had to normalify it from pirate speech) you wouldn't have been stopped. Just saying.

Comment

The idea of racial privilege is that if poor white people were compared to poor black people in the same situation, the poor whites would ultimately be the ones in a position of privilege. That's why it's called racial privilege--it's privilege specifically in the area of race. You don't have to agree with it, but please at least understand what the argument is actually saying. It's not asking for poor whites to be compared to rich blacks, or for women to be compared to men.

Right, you understood that you were wearing clothing/engaging in behavior that could be considered suspicious. But some people who are racial minorities claim that they were stopped despite not wearing or doing anything particularly suspicious, and that those in the racial majority who also aren't wearing/doing anything suspicious are hardly ever stopped. I don't know if their claims are necessarily accurate, but merely citing your own personal experience in that one instance is not a valid counterargument.

Argument aside, are you sure you want to rely on a dramatized and edited show like Cops as support?
              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                The idea of racial privilege is that if poor white people were compared to poor black people in the same situation, the poor whites would ultimately be the ones in a position of privilege.
                And that's a truckload of crap. It's a giant broad brush that only randomly and coincidentally intersects with reality.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The idea of racial privilege is that if poor white people were compared to poor black people in the same situation, the poor whites would ultimately be the ones in a position of privilege. That's why it's called racial privilege--it's privilege specifically in the area of race. You don't have to agree with it, but please at least understand what the argument is actually saying. It's not asking for poor whites to be compared to rich blacks, or for women to be compared to men.
                  Do you have any evidence to support your assertion with or are we suppose to believe you just based upon your word and nothing else?

Right, you understood that you were wearing clothing/engaging in behavior that could be considered suspicious. But some people who are racial minorities claim that they were stopped despite not wearing or doing anything particularly suspicious, and that those in the racial majority who also aren't wearing/doing anything suspicious are hardly ever stopped. I don't know if their claims are necessarily accurate, but merely citing your own personal experience in that one instance is not a valid counterargument.
                  I remember while I was in tech school that a group of friends and myself went to a local wal-mart. We were watched and followed around, despite not doing anything illegal (and there was times it was just a bunch of us white kids). I don't recall ever complaining about it and we even made jokes about it.

Argument aside, are you sure you want to rely on a dramatized and edited show like Cops as support?
                  Do the stats support your claims or not?
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                    'Privilege' connoted the idea that those better off don't deserve it, when it may very well be (and often) those who are worse off who got themselves into that situation.
                    You would prefer if the term was so.watching like "white benefit"?
                    I am become death...

Comment

It's already been pointed out that privilege is not just about money.

Now imagine that shopping experience on a regular basis. There are places where that is the norm for blacks.

I prefer not to base public policy on entertainment media.
                      I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
                        'Advantage' would be a better term, since it allows for description of how people can disadvantage themselves.

Comment

I'd prefer something with at least a minuscule chance of being proven. As it is stated, it's just self-fulfilling prophesy: it assumes a difference in outcome that cannot be demonstrated. The mere fact that outcomes differ doesn't prove a given rationale.

If it is actually the case then the outcomes we see don't support it. Whites outnumber blacks nearly 9 to 1 - the vast majority of blacks would necessarily be competing against whites in almost all desirable positions (professional, administrative, et al) and it is ridiculous to assume the majority of the blacks who prevail in those cases are substantially superior to all the white candidates. (At 9 to 1 odds, that's silly; when you factor backgrounds that limit the number of blacks who are competitive, the ratio should be even higher.) So, if this 'white privilege' exists as described, why are we seeing such high numbers of blacks in professions and other desirable positions? Affirmative Action wasn't that effective by any account - so why the high numbers relative to expected outcome IF the theory is correct?

Better theory: it's nonsense predicated on the intuitive assumption that racism never goes away.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Now imagine that shopping experience on a regular basis. There are places where that is the norm for blacks.
                            And they know it is solely because they are black... how?
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              And they know it is solely because they are black... how?
                              Like I said earlier. When I was in tech school, there was a few occasions that we were followed around and watched by the staff. It wasn't due to our color (a few times I remember this happen, it was us white kids), but due to the fact that we were a group of teenagers, that decided to show up in a group at a store (yes 17-19 are basically teens still).
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The idea of racial privilege is that if poor white people were compared to poor black people in the same situation, the poor whites would ultimately be the ones in a position of privilege.
                                Then the blacks have the privilege, not the whites. It is a lot easier for a black person to get welfare and food stamps than a white person. A friend of mine's husband died and she was raising two children on her own and her only job was working at a minimum wage daycare center (because at least she got free daycare for her youngest)

She tried multiple times to get government help and was turned down. She didn't own a house, had a 12 year old car, and lots of unpaid debt left from her husband, including his funeral. She was way below the poverty line. A couple of black friends of hers at work were in less dire straits than she was, and got all sorts of government help. The only difference? She was white. Black privilege.

And because of affirmative action, minorities, especially blacks, will get hired over whites with the same qualifications.

Comment