Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

You Evil Parents!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Again, you GUESS based on your evaluation of his analysis. But you have no proof that he didn't read the article outside of your opinion.

An analysis again. Bot no proof that Seer "didn't read the source article". You don't like his conclusion, that's one thing. But declaring that he "didn't read the source article" is another.
    The question in Sam's mind isn't if it is true or false, but if a democrat or republican supports it. If a democrat (or liberal) supports it, he will defend it, no matter what. If a republican (or conservative) supports it, he will find a way to refute it, no matter what.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
      All they really need to do is promote families properly.
      This is completely vague and only solves one problem, using the flawed mindset that "Equality" needs to be maximised.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
        Edited by a Moderator
        You know how I am with exceptionalism, but I can't find a source for that anywhere.
        Last edited by QuantaFille; 05-06-2015, 10:00 PM. Reason: quoting edited material

Comment

I doubt the quote myself; surely Carson would have felt the same for at least one iteration of Israel over time.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

... and yet ANOTHER thread where we find something construed as objectionable and use it to claim the ENTIRE progressive side of politics is insane and/or evil.

Let's just remind ourselves as somebody famous once said 'He that is without sin cast the first stone.'

Edited by a Moderator
            Made-up quote indicative of disinterest in truth and lack of intellectual rigor, sexual slur snuck in for good measure. Yep, it's a pancreasman post.
            Last edited by QuantaFille; 05-06-2015, 10:02 PM. Reason: quoting edited material
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

If the quote is in error, I'll gladly retract it. Let me look for a source.

Comment

... and yet ANOTHER thread where we find something construed as objectionable and use it to claim the ENTIRE progressive side of politics is insane and/or evil.
                So you admit that this article was the view point of progressives?

I don't know what's worse, the fact that you don't see anything wrong about this or the fact that you admit that this is progressive politics.
                “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                  This is completely vague and only solves one problem, using the flawed mindset that "Equality" needs to be maximised.
                  What can I say. I wish the best for everyone. I understand that trying to force "equality" isn't possible but promoting healthy families isn't something that needs to cost a lot of money. It just needs to be seen as the truth by politicians and the media.
                  “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Let's just remind ourselves as somebody famous once said 'He that is without sin cast the first stone.'
                    p-man, you know full well that some people on both sides of the divide castigate the other side as irredeemably insane and/or evil (ironically, you use a source which does the very same thing you decry for the graphic you posted). Please don't just snipe from the sidelines.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

What can I say. I wish the best for everyone. I understand that trying to force "equality" isn't possible but promoting healthy families isn't something that needs to cost a lot of money. It just needs to be seen as the truth by politicians and the media.
                      Wanting everyone to better themselves isn't "Egalite" as Paprika used it, from what I see. To paraphrase Syndrome from the Incredibles... "Once everyone is super... no one will be."
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

What can I say. I wish the best for everyone.
                        My point is that there will always be great inequalities so you can't just assume that efforts to decrease them are sufficient but should also seriously deal with the fact that because of great disparities class systems will arise, instead of merely blindly repeating the myths of Equality and Democracy which only serve as smokescreen as the elite accumulate more power.
                        Last edited by Paprika; 05-06-2015, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                          They were already doing that at the school I went to. The "advanced classes" just took those of us with higher grades out of the classroom to do nothing while the other kids got a chance to catch up. It was sickening really. So glad I was able to get my mom to pull me out of that.
                          Yeah, but it has its advantages -- I was pretty good at English, so they took those of us who could read, write and spell (not counting titles of threads) and forced us to take typing so they could work with the kids who needed help with English.

A) I noticed in typing class I was the only guy in a roomful of GIRLS!
                          2) I was forced to learn to type way back in a day when nobody realized how valuable that would be when computers became prevalent!
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Yeah, but it has its advantages -- I was pretty good at English, so they took those of us who could read, write and spell (not counting titles of threads) and forced us to take typing so they could work with the kids who needed help with English.

A) I noticed in typing class I was the only guy in a roomful of GIRLS!
                            2) I was forced to learn to type way back in a day when nobody realized how valuable that would be when computers became prevalent!

They did not teach us anything while we were away from class. They went and had us sit in the cafeteria doing nothing other than waiting to go back to class.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                              My point is that there will always be great inequalities so you can't just assume that efforts to decrease them are sufficient but should also seriously deal with the fact that because of great disparities class systems will arise, instead of merely blindly repeating the myths of Equality and Democracy which only serve as smokescreen as the elite accumulate more power.
                              I don't disagree with this. Inequality will always exist in some sort of form for people to complain about. It's just recognising what forms are OK and what forms are bad for society but easily fixed.

Comment

I don't disagree with this. Inequality will always exist in some sort of form for people to complain about. It's just recognising what forms are OK and what forms are bad for society but easily fixed.
                                For recognition intelligent discussion needs to be had, which is impossible when the mythology of Equality is used to shut down discussion of the relation of race and IQ, for example.

Or (to return to my point in that post) recognition is nigh-impossible when the myth of Democracy (one side of the Equality coin, the other being the myth of Communism) pretends that the individual has any significant power when as always a minority rules.

Comment