Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

You Evil Parents!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Same as my love for Feyerabend ... I don't agree with the guys but you gotta love those personalities. I watched the "Beyond Belief" conference back in 2008 or 2006 and Tyson was dynamic. Wrong on substantial points but dynamic. Gotta love the guy.

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Never knew that Eco was a philosopher. Always figured he was a linguist or something. I love his novels. Don't know anything about Borges.
    Eco's a professor of semiotics ... linguistics is a sub-discipline of that. "Baudolino" is definitely Top 5.

If you haven't picked up Borges yet and you love Eco, you are in for a TREAT. "Collected Fictions" by Borges has all his stories. "The Aleph", "Ragnarok", "The Yellow Rose", "The Book of Sands", "Garden of the Forking Paths", "The Library of Babel" ... so many great works. Eco was/is heavily influenced by Borges. Still no e-Book of "Collected Fictions", which is a travesty given "The Book of Sands" ... I found a PDF online once and laboriously converted it to an eBook, with proper formatting and footnotes and endnotes ... that's the kind of effect Borges is gonna have on a fan of Eco!
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      Euthyphro dilemma is garbage even in the original context (multiple pagan gods).
      Explain why it is "garbage", please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Same as my love for Feyerabend ... I don't agree with the guys but you gotta love those personalities. I watched the "Beyond Belief" conference back in 2008 or 2006 and Tyson was dynamic. Wrong on substantial points but dynamic. Gotta love the guy.
        Meh.

Eco's a professor of semiotics ... linguistics is a sub-discipline of that.
        Ah. Ok.

"Baudolino" is definitely Top 5.
        Definitely in my top 5. As far as historical fiction goes, it's up there with Madison Smartt Bell's All Soul's Rising for me.

If you haven't picked up Borges yet and you love Eco, you are in for a TREAT. "Collected Fictions" by Borges has all his stories. "The Aleph", "Ragnarok", "The Yellow Rose", "The Book of Sands", "Garden of the Forking Paths", "The Library of Babel" ... so many great works. Eco was/is heavily influenced by Borges. Still no e-Book of "Collected Fictions", which is a travesty given "The Book of Sands" ... I found a PDF online once and laboriously converted it to an eBook, with proper formatting and footnotes and endnotes ... that's the kind of effect Borges is gonna have on a fan of Eco!
        I'll have to look into him.

Comment

As an ironically big fan of existentialism, I should also recommend Kierkegaard. "The Sickness Unto Death" was a good read.

And you're a much better person than I am if you're willing to dive deep into any of this stuff. I gave it all up for stories about labyrinths and longitude.
          Thanks for these. I am putting your suggestions in a text document so I can look over these works.

Nah, you went through these way before I even thought about it. I do find this interesting though. Maybe I will be able to wrap my head around it a bit better. I am thinking of starting with Feyerabend's The Tyranny of Science. This looks very interesting to me. You think that would be a good starter?
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
            Thanks for these. I am putting your suggestions in a text document so I can look over these works.

Nah, you went through these way before I even thought about it. I do find this interesting though. Maybe I will be able to wrap my head around it a bit better. I am thinking of starting with Feyerabend's The Tyranny of Science. This looks very interesting to me. You think that would be a good starter?
            Can't remember ... I went through Feyerabend a little more than ten years ago with a pile of other reading and untreated narcolepsy. Everything's pretty much a jumble, at this point. But the title sounds familiar and Feyerabend's awesome so I'll say YES.
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

As an ironically big fan of existentialism, I should also recommend Kierkegaard. "The Sickness Unto Death" was a good read.
              How on earth do people read that book?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                How on earth do people read that book?
                A little Hegel first helps ... basically after him you're just happy your brain is no longer bleeding.

Comment

• Meh, you neophytes don't know anything. "Being and Time" was my bedtime story as a child and "Infinite Jest" counts as light reading for me and now I'm just completely lying.

I do enjoy Borges, though.
                  Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

A little Hegel first helps ... basically after him you're just happy your brain is no longer bleeding.
                    I've tried and given up at least three times on that book because it's just not possible to figure out what on earth he means by 'self'.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Darth Executor:
                      "Euthyphro dilemma is garbage even in the original context (multiple pagan gods)."

How is it "garbage"? How is not logically defensible?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                        I've tried and given up at least three times on that book because it's just not possible to figure out what on earth he means by 'self'.
                        You don't read the existentialists to learn things! You read existentialists to justify doing awesome things that no rational person should ever attempt.

Comment

• Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                          Originally Posted by Darth Executor:
                          "Euthyphro dilemma is garbage even in the original context (multiple pagan gods)."

How is it "garbage"? How is not logically defensible?
                          Its premises are questionable, as are its deductions. It's an emotional argument disguised as a rational one.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Given the conversation regarding theories of truth (correspondence, coherence, etc.):

20140730.jpg

Comment