Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

You Evil Parents!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Evil Parents!

How dare you give your kids an unfair advantage! Are all liberals this insane?

THE ABC has questioned whether parents should read to their children before bedtime, claiming it could give your kids an “unfair advantage” over less fortunate children.

“Is having a loving family an unfair advantage?” asks a story on the ABC’s website.

Should parents snuggling up for one last story before lights out be even a little concerned about the advantage they might be conferring?”

The story was followed by a broadcast on the ABC’s Radio National that also tackled the apparently divisive issue of bedtime reading.

“Evidence shows that the difference between those who get bedtime stories and those who don’t — the difference in their life chances — is bigger than the difference between those who get elite private schooling and those that don’t,” British academic Adam Swift told ABC presenter Joe Gelonesi.

Gelonesi responded online: “This devilish twist of evidence surely leads to a further conclusion that perhaps — in the interests of levelling the playing field — bedtime stories should also be restricted.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1227335151442

So many disputes in our liberal democratic society hinge on the tension between inequality and fairness: between groups, between sexes, between individuals, and increasingly between families.

The power of the family to tilt equality hasn’t gone unnoticed, and academics and public commentators have been blowing the whistle for some time. Now, philosophers Adam Swift and Harry Brighouse have felt compelled to conduct a cool reassessment.

Swift in particular has been conflicted for some time over the curious situation that arises when a parent wants to do the best for her child but in the process makes the playing field for others even more lopsided.

‘I got interested in this question because I was interested in equality of opportunity,’ he says.

‘I had done some work on social mobility and the evidence is overwhelmingly that the reason why children born to different families have very different chances in life is because of what happens in those families.’

One way philosophers might think about solving the social justice problem would be by simply abolishing the family. If the family is this source of unfairness in society then it looks plausible to think that if we abolished the family there would be a more level playing field.’

What we realised we needed was a way of thinking about what it was we wanted to allow parents to do for their children, and what it was that we didn’t need to allow parents to do for their children, if allowing those activities would create unfairnesses for other people’s children’.
    http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...values/6437058
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Is having a loving family an unfair advantage?
      Oh my, yes. Some people in the past thought it so unfair that they tried to organize society so as many people as possible could get one.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
        Oh my, yes. Some people in the past thought it so unfair that they tried to organize society so as many people as possible could get one.

Yes, but you are putting the minority of kids who don't have a loving family at a disadvantage. So pull down and destroy the loving family. I mean really these people are more than insane.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

How thick are these people? Really these guys are philosophers? So they don't realise that by "levelling the playing field" it only serves to make those smarter kids dumber. It doesn't level anything all it does is bring down the average intelligence of kids in general. It's not going to boost those kids with lower intellects.
          “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post

How thick are these people? Really these guys are philosophers? So they don't realise that by "levelling the playing field" it only serves to make those smarter kids dumber. It doesn't level anything all it does is bring down the average intelligence of kids in general. It's not going to boost those kids with lower intellects.
            These people are dangerous:

What we realised we needed was a way of thinking about what it was we wanted to allow parents to do for their children, and what it was that we didn’t need to allow parents to do for their children, if allowing those activities would create unfairnesses for other people’s children

Comment

One way philosophers might think about solving the social justice problem would be by simply abolishing the family. If the family is this source of unfairness in society then it looks plausible to think that if we abolished the family there would be a more level playing field.’

‘What we realised we needed was a way of thinking about what it was we wanted to allow parents to do for their children, and what it was that we didn’t need to allow parents to do for their children, if allowing those activities would create unfairnesses for other people’s children’.
              Here, ladies and gentlemen, is a prime example of Égalité worship.

Comment

These people are dangerous:

What we realised we needed was a way of thinking about what it was we wanted to allow parents to do for their children, and what it was that we didn’t need to allow parents to do for their children, if allowing those activities would create unfairnesses for other people’s children
                This is modern liberal philosophy right there. It's not about "freedom" for people, it's about controlling people, even down to their own personal decisions.
                “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                  Here, ladies and gentlemen, is a prime example of Égalité worship.
                  If these people were smarter they would be wondering how they could boost the intelligence of the dumber kids rather than going about things backwards.

Comment

They were already doing that at the school I went to. The "advanced classes" just took those of us with higher grades out of the classroom to do nothing while the other kids got a chance to catch up. It was sickening really. So glad I was able to get my mom to pull me out of that.

Comment

Someone didn't read the source article ...
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

If these people were smarter they would be wondering how they could boost the intelligence of the dumber kids rather than going about things backwards.
                        And if they were smarter still they would realise that there exists inequalities that are insurmountable (unless you want to mentally and physically retard the hell out of everyone) and resolve to deal with the inequalities and class systems that they engender (together with other factors, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          Someone didn't read the source article ...
                          You have proof of that?
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Wasn't there a story where everyone was made average by giving above average people handicaps?
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Not getting drunk and beating your kids for no apparent reason gives them with an unfair advantage over kids who have parents that do.

If you have children, please, in the interest of fairness and equality, drink heavily and mercilessly beat your children regularly.

Comment