Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Blue Wall of Silence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    A fairer society with a more natural justice would then emerge.
    There is no such thing as natural justice. Let people run all over each other, and there will be those who will.
    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
      There is no such thing as natural justice. Let people run all over each other, and there will be those who will.
      Just walk into any toddler section in a day care -- "MINE!!!!!" - the "it's all about me" ethic is there at quite a young age.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        The logical conclusion of this is that nothing should be illegal. Pure stupidity as usual.
        The impulse to control and police other people leads, in extreme circumstances, to the "horrific and barbaric" killing of 300 Yazidi captives in Iraq. It is all part of the same continuum.

We are so accustomed to living in a world “planted thick with laws from coast to coast” that we really have no idea what it would be like to be truly free. Most people don’t know the laws that govern them so what laws are really is the weapon that your oppressor uses to control your ambition.

I would think that laws ought to be arranged to inhibit the abuse of corporate power and wealth but leave ordinary citizens to do pretty much what they want to do.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

The impulse to control and police other people leads, in extreme circumstances...
          Yeah, why don't you start a thread about that, and stop derailing this one.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Yeah, why don't you start a thread about that, and stop derailing this one.
            Apropos your OP; police stupidity, cover-ups and victim blaming are currently being exposed in the long overdue UK Hillsborough Inquiry. 96 people crushed to death at a football stadium in 1989. All part of the policeman’s moral code the world over and these are supposed to be the good guys.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Apropos your OP; police stupidity, cover-ups and victim blaming are currently being exposed in the long overdue UK Hillsborough Inquiry. 96 people crushed to death at a football stadium in 1989. All part of the policeman’s moral code the world over and these are supposed to be the good guys.
              Do you, like, pull long and hard on a bong before posting such drivel?

Comment

Do you, like, pull long and hard on a bong before posting such drivel?
                What is drivel to you is topical hereabouts. I am sure there are policemen here somewhere but we don’t usually see them except in town to deal with the drunken patrons of public houses on Friday and Saturday nights. The young ones do like a bevvy and the police are pretty good at dealing with these situations.

At other times, I think they are all inside keeping an eye on the closed circuit televisions. You have guns, we have surveillance cameras.

“The British Security Industry Authority (BSIA) estimated there are up to 5.9 million closed-circuit television cameras in the country, including 750,000 in “sensitive locations” such as schools, hospitals and care homes.”

Comment

This problem became obvious when the police union preemptively proclaimed that these officers did, 'Nothing wrong.' What they should propose is the hope that the 'Truth of the unfortunate death should be determined in the courts.'
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    This problem became obvious when the police union preemptively proclaimed that these officers did, 'Nothing wrong.' What they should propose is the hope that the 'Truth of the unfortunate death should be determined in the courts.'
                    "This problem"? The Blue Wall of Silence has been around for a long long time - it didn't suddenly "become obvious". And, like any modern day "union", their main job is to keep themselves in office by appearing to protect their constituents at all costs. That's hardly news.

Comment

Shuny - I didn't mean that to sound as harsh as it may appear.... The Police Union exists to protect their members at all costs. I don't think it serves them well to say things like "they have done nothing wrong", when, in all likelihood, there was at LEAST some negligence, gross or otherwise.

Comment

Shuny - I didn't mean that to sound as harsh as it may appear.... The Police Union exists to protect their members at all costs. I don't think it serves them well to say things like "they have done nothing wrong", when, in all likelihood, there was at LEAST some negligence, gross or otherwise.
                        Excellent. There is still hope.

Originally posted by Paprika View Post

For example, if you're going to call out the prosecutor for "rush to judgment", you should also call out groups such as the police union who claimed that "none of the officers involved are responsible for the death of Mr. Gray.

Comment

The Police Union exists to protect the interests of its members. It is understandable that they do that.

The State Attorney's Office exists to seek truth and justice, not to placate an angry mob.

Comment

Indeed, their business is not truth, which is why calling them out for it is necessary if you seek to tear down the Blue Wall. That action is understandable but inexcusable.

You want cops to stop automatically "having each others' back" in spite of the truth? Then you need to expose it when they do.
                            Last edited by Paprika; 05-03-2015, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Perhaps you should be scolding somebody who's actually pro-union.

Comment

I'm hardly scolding.

You wanted to know how to "make this happen?" I'm telling you how to begin.

Comment