Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Ultimate Goal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate Goal

From the court yesterday, the ultimate goal:

Religious institutions could be at risk of losing their tax-exempt status due to their beliefs about marriage if the Supreme Court holds that gay couples have a constitutional right to wed, President Obama’s attorney acknowledged to the Supreme Court today. It’s certainly going to be an issue,” Solicitor General Donald Verrilli replied when Justice Samuel Alito asked if schools that support the traditional definition of marriage would have to be treated like schools that once opposed interracial marriage. “I don’t deny that.”
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ourt-rules-gay
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I pray that it happens soon, as that may be the only thing that can wake up the more marginal churches.

Originally posted by Chuck Baldwin
    Everyone now seems concerned about the way the IRS sought to intimidate and punish “conservative” non-profits groups. But why should this surprise us? The IRS has been the chief instrument of coercion against America’s churches for over a half-century. And where is the outrage among America’s Christians for the way their pastors have been intimidated and bribed into silence by this monstrous agency? If America’s churches had any guts, they would stand up now and demand that the IRS, along with its infernal 501c3 code, be forever abolished.

Jesus said that a man cannot serve two masters–neither can a church. The church cannot be the property of the state and the property of Christ at the same time. Its loyalty is to one or the other. A pastor cannot be the prophet of God and the hireling of men at the same time. And the scripture is clear: “Be not ye the servants of men.” (I Corinthians 7:23)

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
      I pray that it happens soon, as that may be the only thing that can wake up the more marginal churches.

Ah, the old neo-con position: The IRS is teh evilllz!!!!!!!
      "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
      -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I support the :
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post

Ah, the old neo-con position: The IRS is teh evilllz!!!!!!!
        I think you will find a fair number of liberals and many moderates as well that think that the IRS is evil. Some may hold that it is a necessary evil, but evil nonetheless.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I think you will find a fair number of liberals and many moderates as well that think that the IRS is evil. Some may hold that it is a necessary evil, but evil nonetheless.
          So er, how exactly is the government supposed to fund things then? Honestly really curious...
          "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
          -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I support the :
          sigpic

Comment

Perhaps a necessary, albeit totally inefficient, convoluted and horribly corrupt, evil?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So er, how exactly is the government supposed to fund things then? Honestly really curious...
              For a start how did the government fund things before there was an IRS? You may also want to look into the idea of the Fair Tax as one possible alternative. While I'm not completely convinced by it, I do find the idea intriguing and notice that a great deal of the opposition to it comes from those who have to change some of its provisions in order to attack it (can you say "straw man"?).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The US Government is allowed to tax on imports, exports and special privileges.

They also can allocate a tax to each state to be assessed in proportion to the number of people in each state.

So the constitution has permitted a few options to an honest government.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                  So the constitution has permitted a few options to an honest government.
                  So, what have they permitted to OUR government?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I know my church said that if it came down to it, they would give up their tax free status. That opens the door for them to do all sorts of other things, like directly support political candidates for example. I think if they force churches to give up their tax free status it will come to bite them in the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      I know my church said that if it came down to it, they would give up their tax free status.
                      Absolutely!

That opens the door for them to do all sorts of other things, like directly support political candidates for example. I think if they force churches to give up their tax free status it will come to bite them in the rear.

Comment

What's interesting is that the liberal churches - particularly the black Churches - get away with all kinds of political activity, even having campaign events in their churches, and candidates coming to "preach" for them. The phrase "walking around money" (or "street money") was really common back about 20 years ago, where a politician would see that a Church needed a new roof or carpet or something, and the campaign would "donate" toward the Church's needs.

Nobody would DARE threaten them with loss of IRS exemption.

Comment

Its odd contemplating the actual possibility of having to do garage, house and cellar churches, within my own lifetime. Makes you realize how much of a luxury it is to be able to freely worship within visible and legally recognized organisations, and inside buildings dedicated to that purpose.

Comment

For a start how did the government fund things before there was an IRS? You may also want to look into the idea of the Fair Tax as one possible alternative. While I'm not completely convinced by it, I do find the idea intriguing and notice that a great deal of the opposition to it comes from those who have to change some of its provisions in order to attack it (can you say "straw man"?).
                            I support the Fair Tax.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              I support the Fair Tax.

I like that. Then if you don't go to the State Fair, you won't pay any taxes.

Comment