Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bishop of Manchester: Britain has a moral duty to accept refugees from its wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
    So you like using the Old Testament when it suits your violent purposes
    The Old Testament counsels considerably more violence than I do.

but not so much when it counsels compassion for the dispossessed.
    God required foreigners to be subjected to the laws of the land (which were in turn designed to benefit the Jews over the foreigners). These people are illegally crossing the border so sending them packing is entirely legitimate. You have a problem with that because you're a feeble thinker who can't think of any possible negative consequences to the idiotic policies you espouse. The OT never deals with mass migration (except in the form of conquest) because it just wasn't a thing back then, it's a modern issue produced by modern technology.

Who's a cherry picker now?
    You're the only one who cherry picked a verse because you saw other Christians use it and think it applies. I'm surprised you have the gall to even ask this question.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Nonsense Sam, my point stands, Iran will start a nuclear arms race. And it won't end with Saudi Arabia, I doubt whether countries like Kuwait or Qatar will be far behind.
      Nah, Israel did.

Why do you think it kept it secret? If it was done in the open it would have spurred an even greater race.

As it is Israel has taken aggressive steps against neighbours' attempts to reach nuclear weapons themselves, all these under the rhetorical cover of 'self-defense' which coincidentally leaves themselves as the only possessors of nuclear arms and hence the dominant power in the region in time to come.

Comment

Mat 25:35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,
        Deut 27:19 “‘Cursed be anyone who perverts the justice due to the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow.’
        Zech 7:9 “Thus says the Lord of hosts, Render true judgments, show kindness and mercy to one another, do not oppress the widow, the fatherless, the sojourner, or the poor, and let none of you devise evil against another in your heart.”
        Heb 13:2 Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
        Jer 7:5 “For if you truly amend your ways and your deeds, if you truly execute justice one with another, if you do not oppress the sojourner, the fatherless, or the widow, or shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not go after other gods to your own harm, then I will let you dwell in this place, in the land that I gave of old to your fathers forever.
        Ezek 47:22 You shall allot it as an inheritance for yourselves and for the sojourners who reside among you and have had children among you. They shall be to you as native-born children of Israel. With you they shall be allotted an inheritance among the tribes of Israel.
        Prov 31"8 Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy.
        Deut 10:18 He executes justice for the fatherless and the widow, and loves the sojourner, giving him food and clothing.
        Num 15:15 For the assembly, there shall be one statute for you and for the stranger who sojourns with you, a statute forever throughout your generations. You and the sojourner shall be alike before the Lord.
        Some more cherry picked scriptures that show no inclination of God to be concerned about the poor and the sojourner.

Comment

Some more cherry picked scriptures that show no inclination of God to be concerned about the poor and the sojourner.
          I don't think you're actually this stupid but sometimes... sometimes I wonder.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            I don't think you're actually this stupid but sometimes... sometimes I wonder.
            So no refutation then? I can always tell when you're trying to back pedal. You go into insult mode, Just like Jesus. No, wait ...

Comment

So no refutation then? I can always tell when you're trying to back pedal. You go into insult mode, Just like Jesus. No, wait ...
              What is there to refute? You are misusing those verses just like you misused the previous one. The fact that you have the gall to demand a refutation after you completely ignored my previous post is just telling me that you're a waste of time.

And where am I backpedaling? My stance on the issue is the same as it was earlier and the same as it was yesterday, the day before yesterday and the day before the day before yesterday: send them home.

Comment

What is there to refute? You are misusing those verses just like you misused the previous one. The fact that you have the gall to demand a refutation after you completely ignored my previous post is just telling me that you're a waste of time.

And where am I backpedaling? My stance on the issue is the same as it was earlier and the same as it was yesterday, the day before yesterday and the day before the day before yesterday: send them home.
                I knew I could provoke you. Just saying 'Is not!' is not an actual refutation, you know.

Comment

I knew I could provoke you. Just saying 'Is not!' is not an actual refutation, you know.
                  You're not very good at trolling, maybe you should stick to butchering Africans with inane charity schemes like you've been doing since the end of colonialism.

Comment

You're not very good at trolling, maybe you should stick to butchering Africans with inane charity schemes like you've been doing since the end of colonialism.
                    You're probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      Goodwin's Law applied to pre-emptive acts of war. Nice.

So your rationale for a series of unprovoked attacks which will inevitably lead to tens of thousands of civilian deaths and hundreds of thousands of civilians displaced (at minimum) is because Iran might not be saber-rattling and all it's waited for all this time is a nuclear weapon, despite being able to do a fair amount of damage to just about every city in Israel with its already-existing conventional warheads.

That's a long walk, man.
                      No Sam, you have not offered one good reason why we should not take the threats by the Mullahs of Iran toward Israel and the US at face value. After they have the bomb we will be in a much worse position to stop their aggression. And aggressive they are, as proven by their actions in the region.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                        That's hardly proof, given that they've not taken any steps to destroy Israel.
                        I'm sorry, there is zero reason not to take Iran at its word. I mean really Paprika, you are dealing with a people that experienced the Holocaust. They are now hearing the same rhetoric that they heard in the 1930s.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Nah, Israel did.

Why do you think it kept it secret? If it was done in the open it would have spurred an even greater race.
                          It was never a secret, everyone knew.

As it is Israel has taken aggressive steps against neighbours' attempts to reach nuclear weapons themselves, all these under the rhetorical cover of 'self-defense' which coincidentally leaves themselves as the only possessors of nuclear arms and hence the dominant power in the region in time to come.
                          Right, they are attempting to stop countries sworn to their destruction from getting nukes. So sue them...

Comment

I'm sorry, there is zero reason not to take Iran at its word.
                            It is good reason; despite the rhetoric while they have clashed for regional influence as powers do they have hardly sought destruction.

I mean really Paprika, you are dealing with a people that experienced the Holocaust. They are now hearing the same rhetoric that they heard in the 1930s.
                            Nonsense. Most of the contemporary Israelis were born after the Holocaust.

Comment

It was never a secret, everyone knew.
                              Oh, sure. But why are they still keeping it a secret? Because once it is admitted it would spur an arms race.

Right, they are attempting to stop countries sworn to their destruction from getting nukes. So sue them...
                              Assad, Saddam, and the Iranian leadership are hardly suicidal, as above. Though they would prefer Israel not to exist they're not going to do something which would most likely lead to the Middle East being a nuclear wasteland.

Israel is just using the rhetoric as an excuse to maintain its dominance in the nuclear arena; without the rhetoric they would still strike just as US would strike problems if Mexico or Cuba started developing or possessing nukes, basically the usual "nukes for me and not for you!"
                              Last edited by Paprika; 04-29-2015, 06:55 AM.

Comment

It is good reason; despite the rhetoric while they have clashed for regional influence as powers do they have hardly sought destruction.
                                You know Paprika, I generally agree with you, but here you are off your rocker. Iran does not have the army or power to destroy Israel at this point. But they are, according to their limited resources, sowing destruction all around the Middle East. They certainly are showing the mindset.

Nonsense. Most of the contemporary Israelis were born after the Holocaust.
                                They know their history. And this is exactly what they heard in the 1930s.

Comment