Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Baltimore Burning and Officers Injured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paprika
    replied
    Originally posted by myth View Post
    Of course its a possibility, I just didn't consider likely because I haven't even seen the liberal news media seriously exploring that possibility. But I digress.
    I'm going to assume you just didn't look properly.

The fact that the officers admitted that they didn't buckle Gray in properly has naturally led to speculations that this was intended to create a 'rough ride'.

Leave a comment:

• myth
    replied
    Originally posted by Paprika View Post

There's a distinct possibility that the death was due to a 'rough ride' which is a form of police brutality.
    Of course its a possibility, I just didn't consider likely because I haven't even seen the liberal news media seriously exploring that possibility. But I digress.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    They've made it explicit:
    GoFundMe will not allow campaigns that benefit individuals or groups facing formal charges or claims of serious violations of the law. The amended term can be found under the ‘What’s Not Allowed’ section of our terms, as well as below:
    Campaigns in defense of formal charges or claims of heinous crimes, violent, hateful, sexual or discriminatory acts

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Did James Earl Jones ever play God?
    James Earl Jones = rekt

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I don't know, but it helped put Obama in office.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I really liked him driving Ms Daisy and Shawshanked. But he's got NOTHING on James Earl Jones!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Hey, atleast he's got an amazingly good voice though, that's got to count for something, right?
    I really liked him driving Ms Daisy and Shawshanked. But he's got NOTHING on James Earl Jones!

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, when Morgan Freeman ranted that it's "Always whites killing" and "it's always blacks" being killed...
    Hey, atleast he's got an amazingly good voice though, that's got to count for something, right?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    So, when Morgan Freeman ranted that it's "Always whites killing" and "it's always blacks" being killed...

Freeman: “We can show the world, Look, this is what happened in that situation. So why are so many people dying in police custody? And why are they all black? And why are all the police killing them white? What is that?

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Lot of talk about 'police brutality' in this thread. Not sure how that's even relevant.

There's a distinct possibility that the death was due to a 'rough ride' which is a form of police brutality.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Lot of talk about 'police brutality' in this thread. Not sure how that's even relevant.

All I'm seeing is negligence, incompetence, and lack of training.
    And, as far as the racial element, all under the watchful eye of a black police commissioner.

Leave a comment:

• myth
    replied

All I'm seeing is negligence, incompetence, and lack of training.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    The cops involved:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/02/us...T.nav=top-news

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post
    I was pretty neutral about the affair, thinking it was yet another Michael Brown racially/politically charged farce. The recent revelations sort put me on the side against the police, now this pretty much seals that for me...
    Well, Baltimore does have a culture of police violence:
    Over the past four years, more than 100 people have won court judgments or settlements related to allegations of brutality and civil rights violations. Victims include a 15-year-old boy riding a dirt bike, a 26-year-old pregnant accountant who had witnessed a beating, a 50-year-old woman selling church raffle tickets, a 65-year-old church deacon rolling a cigarette and an 87-year-old grandmother aiding her wounded grandson.

Those cases detail a frightful human toll. Officers have battered dozens of residents who suffered broken bones — jaws, noses, arms, legs, ankles — head trauma, organ failure, and even death, coming during questionable arrests. Some residents were beaten while handcuffed; others were thrown to the pavement.

And in almost every case, prosecutors or judges dismissed the charges against the victims — if charges were filed at all. In an incident that drew headlines recently, charges against a South Baltimore man were dropped after a video showed an officer repeatedly punching him — a beating that led the police commissioner to say he was “shocked.”
    The city has paid about $5.7 million since 2011 over lawsuits claiming that police officers brazenly beat up alleged suspects... The Local Government Tort Claims Act caps damages against local governments at $200,000 per claim.
    Although police officials declined to release individual personnel records, they did discuss the issue in broad terms, saying that from 2012 through July, the department received 3,048 misconduct complaints against officers. Of those, officials sustained 1,203 complaints — 39 percent — meaning investigators could prove the claims were true.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    I was pretty neutral about the affair, thinking it was yet another Michael Brown racially/politically charged farce. The recent revelations sort put me on the side against the police, now this pretty much seals that for me...

ST. LOUIS -- Kevin Moore, the man who filmed Freddie Gray’s violent arrest, was detained in Baltimore on Thursday night, along with Chad Jackson and Tony Smith, two activists who had previously filmed protests in Ferguson, Missouri.

On April 12, Moore released video of Gray's arrest to multiple media outlets immediately after filming it on his cell phone. Moore told the Baltimore Sun that Gray was "folded like origami" by police officers during the arrest.

Jackson and White are affiliated with WeCopwatch, an organization that focuses on police accountability. They had traveled to Baltimore to help train activists to film police officers.

Jacob Crawford, a representative for WeCopwatch, told The Huffington Post over the phone that Moore has since been released with no charges. He added that Smith and White remain in jail, and said Smith was allegedly injured by police officers during the encounter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7190262.html

Leave a comment: