Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Assisted Suicide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assisted Suicide.

Let's talk about it.

What are the best arguments for or against?

Murder is wrong.

Comment

For: An emotional demand that the lack of responsibility or forethought on the part of the suicider and his family be honored unequivocally.

Against: Pretty much everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Murder is wrong.
        Murder would be taking another life.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
          For: An emotional demand that the lack of responsibility or forethought on the part of the suicider and his family be honored unequivocally.

Against: Pretty much everything else.
          What?

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
            Murder would be taking another life.
            I thought we were talking about assisted suicide, and not merely suicide.

But in case you're wondering, I'm against the making and selling of do-it-yourself suicide kits as well.

Comment

I thought we were talking about assisted suicide, and not merely suicide.

But in case you're wondering, I'm against the making and selling of do-it-yourself suicide kits as well.
              I'm sorry that was my mistake.

In any case, I think it is more humane to assist somebody in committing suicide, rather than them possibly use measures that can harm others.

Feel free to offer your opinion on simple suicide as well.

Comment

In any case, I think it is more humane to assist somebody in committing suicide, rather than them possibly use measures that can harm others.
                I agree, but bhat would make it less wrong, in as much as it is less wrong to murder a mafia boss who threatens your family, than its wrong to murder someone who's never threatened you. Both would be wrong, since in neither case would you have the right to assassinate these people.

You'd need to establish, that what the person does can't be categorized as murder. To do that, you must start by defending the act in itself: suicide.

I mean its no use defending having someone to assist a guy killing himself, if the act of killing yourself already is wrong.

Comment

I agree, but bhat would make it less wrong, in as much as it is less wrong to murder a mafia boss who threatens your family, than its wrong to murder someone who's never threatened you. Both would be wrong, since in neither case would you have the right to assassinate these people.

You'd need to establish, that what the person does can't be categorized as murder. To do that, you must start by defending the act in itself: suicide.

I mean its no use defending having someone to assist a guy killing himself, if the act of killing yourself already is wrong.
                  It is my opinion that our body is our property and ours alone, so if we chose to terminate it's functions it's our right to do so.

Comment

It is my opinion that our body is our property and ours alone, so if we chose to terminate it's functions it's our right to do so.
                    Its certainly hard to imagine a state law that would forbid those actions. You can't arrest someone who's committed suicide. And I could grant you what you say, but it would still be wrong to commit suicide. Just as one can use properties legally in ways that are utterly detrimental to your health, life and happiness (I'm assuming you're a utilitarian, so I'm arguing on that basis for now).

So I don't think you can answer this question merely from property rights arguments.

Comment

Anyway its past my bedtime, goodnight.

Comment

I agree with this entirely. One problem I have is the well documented experience of families pressuring terminal, or seriously incapacitated dependents to take this route. I also am convinced that there are no where near enough thought given to people falsely using supposed "assisted suicide" as a means to murder. If someone wants to commit suicide there are plenty of ways available.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          I agree with this entirely. One problem I have is the well documented experience of families pressuring terminal, or seriously incapacitated dependents to take this route. I also am convinced that there are no where near enough thought given to people falsely using supposed "assisted suicide" as a means to murder. If someone wants to commit suicide there are plenty of ways available.
                          All of which will get you handcuffed and chained to a bed by the government.

Then you get pumped full of anti-depressants.

Comment

All of which will get you handcuffed and chained to a bed by the government.

Then you get pumped full of anti-depressants.
                            If you fail. People usually fail because they didn't really want to die.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              I agree with this entirely.
                              Hmm. As a Christian, how do you reconcile that with 1 Corinthians 6:19-20?

Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price. Therefore glorify God with your body.

Comment