Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Assisted Suicide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Hmm. As a Christian, how do you reconcile that with 1 Corinthians 6:19-20?

Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price. Therefore glorify God with your body.
    What if you have your body turned into a really cool looking mummy afterwards?
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Hmm. As a Christian, how do you reconcile that with 1 Corinthians 6:19-20?

Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price. Therefore glorify God with your body.
      I do not. I do not support suicide, but for an unbeliever it is true that for political purposes. I do not support it. I do not support assisted suicide. I was simply sharing my reasoning against the law. I guess that I was pretty unclear.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        I do not. I do not support suicide, but for an unbeliever it is true that for political purposes. I do not support it. I do not support assisted suicide. I was simply sharing my reasoning against the law. I guess that I was pretty unclear.
        Ah. Ok.

Comment

The only time you can make a reasonable case is hospice, when the person is obviously suffering the last few days. However any good hospice provides enough medication to keep the person sedated and comfortable. Even to the point of near comatose. As long as their body breathes on its own enough can be provided to remove the pain. I don't see why Euthanasia should be necessary. I can see the reason for a living will. Just have a clause that says dope me up and keep me happy.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            The only time you can make a reasonable case is hospice, when the person is obviously suffering the last few days. However any good hospice provides enough medication to keep the person sedated and comfortable. Even to the point of near comatose. As long as their body breathes on its own enough can be provided to remove the pain. I don't see why Euthanasia should be necessary. I can see the reason for a living will. Just have a clause that says dope me up and keep me happy.
            I think this is very reasonable ... except that I think that sometimes misery ought to be sufficient reason for a person to legitimately want to terminate their lives. I'm not talking about simple depression, I'm talking about a situation where a person faces a long diminution of their quality of life ending in death. If, after appropriate psychological intervention that person makes an informed choice to end their life I'd have no trouble with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
              What are the best arguments ...against?
              You don't own yourself.

Next.

Comment

It is my opinion that our body is our property and ours alone, so if we chose to terminate it's functions it's our right to do so.
                The claim on that property is contingent upon the reliable ability of your body to make your soul's demands known. When you get old or sick, your mental capacity can easily regress past the point of reason.

And so the decision must be made by others. And the family has no right to take, or order the doctors to take, the life of anyone on a contingency basis. They are also under no particular obligation to support that life with the various medical methods we all know and love, but the killing blow is not reserved for man in these instances.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  If you fail. People usually fail because they didn't really want to die.
                  It couldn't possibly be that killing yourself isn't such an easy thing to do, and not everyone wants to use a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                    You don't own yourself.

Next.
                    Go play in the traffic, would ya?

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                      Damn, you call that living?

I'd rather not die in my own filth under the influence of some pretty hard drugs.

Comment

Go play in the traffic, would ya?
                        True self-destruction is to abandon the traditional Christian notion that we all belong to God for the individualistic 'Enlightened' Liberal 'I am the captain of my soul' spiel.

Comment

Damn, you call that living?

I'd rather not die in my own filth under the influence of some pretty hard drugs.
                          I'd rather not die at the hands of smiling paternal doctors who think my quality of life is such that I ought not live anymore... and besides I'm taking up a hospital bed, and I'm an emotional burden on my family, and it costs money to keep me there.

Its not easy and straight forward if you want to talk about practical.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                            I'd rather not die at the hands of smiling paternal doctors who think my quality of life is such that I ought not live anymore... and besides I'm taking up a hospital bed, and I'm an emotional burden on my family, and it costs money to keep me there.
                            All true things.

If you want to be an unaware vegetable laying in your filth (and you will be in that place) then please, feel free to make that your choice. But do not make your choice the law and expect others to live such undignified existence.

Its not easy and straight forward if you want to talk about practical.
                            Actually, it's very straight forward. You make your choices and let others make theirs, and we live happily ever after.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                              True self-destruction is to abandon the traditional Christian notion that we all belong to God for the individualistic 'Enlightened' Liberal 'I am the captain of my soul' spiel.
                              Are you done?

Comment

Are you done?
                                Isn't this a Christian forum?

You should therefore expect the Christian response to be founded on the doctrine of Creation: we don't own ourselves and we are not supposed to do whatever we like.
                                Last edited by Paprika; 04-27-2015, 05:42 AM.

Comment