Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fr. Zuehldorf's solution to the bakers problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Not if it was all up front before money changed hands. Get it in writing.
    It wouldn't work in reality since weddings are normally custom ordered.

However, it would be fun to try a 'pre-nuptual agreement' that states any dispute leading to litigation will NOT be a test case and will not involve discrimination suit.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I would go ahead and do the wedding with Leviticus 18:22 on everything, including the cake.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I'd do it as a 'gay' wedding - as in the 'Gay Nineties"

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          I'd do it as a 'gay' wedding - as in the 'Gay Nineties"

ooh fun

Comment

Fr. Z furthermore suggests that the baker will happily inform the couple that they will take out an ad in the local newspaper, telling everyone that they've catered to this wedding, and what the money will go for (a Christian pro-family group).

Comment

I said something similar in one of the threads about the topic. Use it as an evangelizing opportunity. Have brochures available, be ready to talk to anyone who will listen about sin.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              If I owned the pizza place here is what I would do if a gay couple wanted me to supply pizzas for their ceremony.

I would remind them that this is a Christian business and point out all of the Christian paraphernalia around the restaurant. I would say, "As part of our catering service, we provide a free sermon on the gospel, and hand out free bibles and various pamphlets" then ask them if they still wanted us to cater their ceremony. If they say yes, then make sure the pizza boxes are printed with various bible verses, include a free bible for everyone, give a sermon on sin and how Jesus died for them, etc.

If they want the pizza but not the extras, then tell them they are welcome to get them as take-out, but our catering service includes the extras because as a Christian business our goal is to spread the gospel. Their decision.

My delivery truck would also have various bible verses printed on it.
              Last edited by Sparko; 04-27-2015, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I think though at the end of the day the gay couple would just sue, claiming that the pizzeria is harassing them, and is threatening to harass them before, during and after the service.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                  I think though at the end of the day the gay couple would just sue, claiming that the pizzeria is harassing them, and is threatening to harass them before, during and after the service.
                  well you have to make it part of your standard package for catering.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    well you have to make it part of your standard package for catering.
                    We don't do custom messages on the cakes anymore, but we have a selected brochure of messages you can be allowed to select from, or we can supply you with the remedies to add whatever message you want to the cake by yourself. As for figurines, we have one standard issue, in various sizes (its a husband/wife pair as one whole piece).

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      "When some homosexual couple comes to your Christian business for services at their immoral event, don’t panic. Go ahead and take their business!

Then explain what is going to happen next.

Tell them that the food and services will be just fine. And then inform them that all of the money that they pay for the services will be donated to a traditional pro-family lobby. If it is something like catering, where your employees have to be there to provide services, tell them that all your people will smile, be professional, and everyone of them will be wearing crucifixes and have the Holy Family embroidered on their uniforms. Then show them pictures of your uniforms. When the truck pulls up, speakers will be playing Immaculate Mary. Show them the truck and play the music.

“Oh, you would be offended by that? I’m so sorry. You approached us because we are Christians. Right? We are happy to provide services for you and we are grateful that you chose to come to our Christian catering business. We just want to be of help.”"

(source: http://wdtprs.com/blog/2015/04/when-...tional-family/)

I got a good laugh thinking about this scenario. but it might just work.
                      Wouldn't work. The gay couple would just accuse the baker of "mental rape" and walk away with a huge settlement.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        This is part of the reason I don't trust the system --- there's always some nutcase judge our jury or process out there to reward stupidity.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment